Boat Rescued from Non Navigable Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

Just now, Scholar Gypsy said:

article in Waterways World (I think) this month about someone in a small rowing boat who went over the weir at Trent Lock by mistake - having turned right at the bottom of the Soar. They ended up in Nottingham ...

What is navigable in a canoe, isn't necessarily navigable in a NB, what is navigable in a NB is not necessarily navigable in my Cruiser (4' 6" draft), I guess the question asked should be "Unnavigable for what vessels ?"

The Trent is allegedly dredged to 6' but I hit the bottom in several places - should the Trent be declared 'unnavigable' ?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What is navigable in a canoe, isn't necessarily navigable in a NB, what is navigable in a NB is not necessarily navigable in my Cruiser (4' 6" draft), I guess the question asked should be "Unnavigable for what vessels ?"

The Trent is allegedly dredged to 6' but I hit the bottom in several places - should the Trent be declared 'unnavigable' ?

Very true. I ended up carrying mine across the sandy bit earlier in the year cos all the water disappeared. Try doing that with a narrowboat

20180902_112744.jpg

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What is navigable in a canoe, isn't necessarily navigable in a NB

I suppose I could also mention that I did the Droitwich ring a couple of times last century in with a kayak (and no, I wasn't born in 1939). The bit from the WB to Droitwich was a bit dry at the time.

2 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

Not sure how they have got quite so far to the bank as it is bloody shallow there!

Torksey high water was at about 12:15

Do you know whether  the tide helped  ?

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Torksey high water was at about 12:15

Do you know whether  the tide helped  ?

As far as we are aware it is still there.

ETA: he wasn't on it when we went past he had managed to get his dinghy off and had gone back to Torksey on that. That was at about 10.45am.

Edited by Naughty Cal

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Tide height here in wells is dropping from today. 

I think his only chance of getting it off is going to be towing it off with a dinghy. It is too far into the shallows to get a bigger boat across too it.

I'm impressed he has got as close to the bank as he has!