Boat Rescued from Non Navigable Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

Well the rest of the world must be in a hell of a state if we are second in Europe (to Finland) and 6th in the world.

It depends entirely what the criteria used in this is. If it’s about how our kids do in tests then everyone with an interest in education knows that our schools are teaching kids to pass the tests because that is how success is measured these days for schools. The education system is not necessarily better or worse than in the past, it’s just different. I’m not saying that’s a good thing, but that is how it is.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

It's been a while since i went up to trent bridge but I think it  is well signed .

However must admit some of the available information is not exactly crystal clear 

Nicholson's (other charts are available) makes it quite clear that upstream of Wilford Footbridge is unnavigable.

Unavigable Trent.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Assuming we accept that they can speak English - ask yourself how many languages the average child in the UK can speak then travel the world to so called third world countries like Sri Lanka the Indian sub continent and the African subcontinent and you still rate us 2nd?

Two points.  First you miss the words in Europe and second I didn't rate them others did.

Languages are not the be all and end all of education.  A colleague at his brothers wedding in Germany (he married a German) was sat next to the head of modern languages at the local secondary school.  The German said "I don't know why you teach languages in UK everybody speaks English now".

• Unimpressed 1

9 hours ago, Loddon said:

What's Nicholson's?

Oh I remember they published The Real Ale Guide to the Waterways in 1976

Haven't bothered with anything since then.

Perhaps you are so familiar with the waterways you don't need a map. Clearly the skipper who went aground is not so familiar with the Trent. Using a suitable guide book /map may have saved him from making this particular mistake.

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Nicholson's (other charts are available) makes it quite clear that upstream of Wilford Footbridge is unnavigable.

I did think of posting a list of maps/guides but thought it would serve no purpose. 

Some of the guides including the C&RT maps are not clear.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/upper-trent

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Perhaps you are so familiar with the waterways you don't need a map. Clearly the skipper who went aground is not so familiar with the Trent. Using a suitable guide book /map may have saved him from making this particular mistake.

google.com.jpg

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, MartynG said:

We came out of Torksey two years ago, the boats coming down from Cromwell included a skipper with 35 years experience who knew everything and didn't use charts.

He stuck fast on Dunham shoals, and had to wait for next ride,  unfortunately another boat also got stuck attempting to help him.

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

We came out of Torksey two years ago, the boats coming down from Cromwell included a skipper with 35 years experience who knew everything and didn't use charts.

He stuck fast on Dunham shoals, and had to wait for next ride,  unfortunately another boat also got stuck attempting to help him.

We pulled a narrowboat off one of the corners on the Trent once, they had cut it way too much. 

Not just narrowboats that get it wrong.

11838616-10153205032463271-5216496593529

9 minutes ago, matty40s said:

On a nice sunny day it can be very pleasant and quiet waiting on the Trent for the next tide.

DSCF4554.jpg

DSCF4556.jpg

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We pulled a narrowboat off one of the corners on the Trent once, they had cut it way too much. 

I passed a narrowboat on a bend on the tidal Trent  with its prop out of the water. Someone sent them a newspaper and a pint of milk. The next higher tide was in two weeks.  However they did escape on the next tide.

I always have the chart open in the tidal Trent even though I don't need to look at I much.  The chief officer keeps me on track. 

Edited by MartynG

Must admit I am a little paranoid about running aground on the tidal Trent. Below is a picture of what I had on the roof on one of the early trips, locking up at Keadby with a widebeam. The Trent Chart, a Nicholson's, a GPS and a VHF radio. I marked the chart with grid reference kilometre marks, based on the Nicholson's Ordnance Survey 1:25000 maps, so I could use the GPS to find the position again if I lost track. In practice, the Trent is a lot less featureless than I had assumed and it is usually possible to work out where you are. These days I don't bother with the GPS, but I still have the Trent Chart out. It is on a plywood base with a perspex cover held on by a couple of bulldog clips so it doesn't blow away, or get wet.

Jen

keadby2.JPG

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Something I found really useful when navigating the Trent, was to have my iPad with google maps, propped up alongside the chart, in the wheel box.  Took the pressure off constantly having to know where one is on the chart.  You could relax and then instantly find your position from the moving dot on the iPad.

9 hours ago, aracer said:

I guess it would be naive to assume that the thick lines on the CRT map are navigable waterways?

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/canal-and-river-network/river-trent

If you zoom into that map quite a bit it appears that there are services at the upper end. Only when zooming in a lot more is it revealed that the services are actually on the Cut not the river.

I recall that it was not long ago that a boat had to be rescued much closer to the weir (from below). I am wondering (and there are better experts around on the Forum to reply) whether this section does still have a right to navigate, going back yonks and never extinguished. In which case the notice at Wilford is perhaps advisory and not mandatory. There are plenty of places where sections of both rivers and canals are not advised for navigation but which various people see as a challenge. Compare the reactions to this story to those about the cruise up to Welches Dam and the inclusion of some points on the IWA Challenge list.

The part which MartynG linked to clearly indicates that the river around Cranfleet and Sawley Cuts are not navigable whilst it explicitly shows the par above Wilford as navigable.

Edited by Mike Todd

1 hour ago, Mike Todd said:

I am wondering (and there are better experts around on the Forum to reply) whether this section does still have a right to navigate, going back yonks and never extinguished.

I'm sure it does - you don't just extinguish a right to navigate and whilst I haven't done it myself I'm sure canoeists use that section past the footbridge. Personally I've certainly kayaked on the "non navigable" Severn along with plenty of other rivers which you couldn't and wouldn't take a narrowboat. There is navigable and navigable.

Being a canoeist with an interest in this sort of thing I know quite a lot about rights to navigate - there is a right to navigate on a lot of waterways you won't find listed in Nicholson's. I could expound much more on this if anybody was interested, but google Reverend Caffyn as a start (and ignore anything you might find from the angling trust - they have their own opinions but they're based on selective interpretation of the law).

• Greenie 1

17 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Unavigable Trent.jpg

article in Waterways World (I think) this month about someone in a small rowing boat who went over the weir at Trent Lock by mistake - having turned right at the bottom of the Soar. They ended up in Nottingham ...