Boat Rescued from Non Navigable Trent

Naughty Cal

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

How the he'll did they end up all the way up there?

Must be one of the increasing band of 'rules don't apply to me' brigade, or else a product of the failed education system, who has left school being unable to read the signs saying 'no navigation beyond this point'.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Must be one of the increasing band of 'rules don't apply to me' brigade, or else a product of the failed education system, who has left school being unable to read the signs saying 'no navigation beyond this point'.

Reminds me of the tale in that book by a Thames lockie (not David B, the other one) about the hire cruiser which went off down the weir stream late one day.

”Why did you go down there?”

”Well, it’s getting late and we’re tired, so we thought we wouldn’t bother with this lock!”

:banghead:

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

else a product of the failed education system, who has left school being unable to read the signs 

Your evidence for this is?   During my 40 years as a teacher I found the level of literacy continually rising.  Yes there were a few "special needs" who had learning difficulties but in general literacy was good and improving.

With regards to our "failed" education  system uk was 6th in the world and second in Europe last time I checked.  Which was while Gove was putting out his propaganda about tumbling down league tables.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Your evidence for this is?   During my 40 years as a teacher I found the level of literacy continually rising.  Yes there were a few "special needs" who had learning difficulties but in general literacy was good and improving.

With regards to our "failed" education  system uk was 6th in the world and second in Europe last time I checked.  Which was while Gove was putting out his propaganda about tumbling down league tables.

"sick innit like"?

1 minute ago, Halsey said:

"sick innit like"?

Oh I see you are telling me it was your generation which had poor education (hence the daft reply ).

If you are referring to the fact young people use a style of colloquialism you don't understand (and don't like) it was ever thus.  I remember well my parents objecting to how I and my friends spoke in the 50s and 60s.

Incidentally their colloquialisms have no effect or bearing on their ability to read.

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

Jerra said that evidence of literacy was rising but I beg to differ. As an employer of young men in a mainly manual job we had great difficulty finding any who could read a tape measure or fill in a time sheet which after 11 years of schooling shouldn’t have been beyond them.

in the late 50’s and 60’s I was a deck officer mn and out of all the crews I only came across 1 man who couldn’t read and write but he knew every star in the sky and how to travel by train around the uk.

lots of the old boatmen around Braunston had had no formal education but they where a dam site smarter than lots of the youths coming out of Daventry comprehensive schools.

• Greenie 4

4 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

Jerra said that evidence of literacy was rising but I beg to differ. As an employer of young men in a mainly manual job we had great difficulty finding any who could read a tape measure or fill in a time sheet which after 11 years of schooling shouldn’t have been beyond them.

in the late 50’s and 60’s I was a deck officer mn and out of all the crews I only came across 1 man who couldn’t read and write but he knew every star in the sky and how to travel by train around the uk.

lots of the old boatmen around Braunston had had no formal education but they where a dam site smarter than lots of the youths coming out of Daventry comprehensive schools.

Well the rest of the world must be in a hell of a state if we are second in Europe (to Finland) and 6th in the world.

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

Well the rest of the world must be in a hell of a state if we are second in Europe (to Finland) and 6th in the world.

I just wonder where the people doing the maths to work out our position in the tables are from :cheers:

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Your evidence for this is? 

Interviewing candidates for jobs - 

Very little in the way of mathematics skills and regularly unable to string together enough words to make a sentence.

This was not 'machine minder' level of jobs, this was office work, customer service, sales etc.

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Interviewing candidates for jobs - 

Very little in the way of mathematics skills and regularly unable to string together enough words to make a sentence.

That could be the effect of nerves. I am both fairly articulate and moderately verbose, but I can remember times when I "dried up" during interviews - possibly much to the relief of my interviewer.

57 minutes ago, Athy said:

That could be the effect of nerves. I am both fairly articulate and moderately verbose, but I can remember times when I "dried up" during interviews - possibly much to the relief of my interviewer.

That is a good point, When I was working with unemployed Young People, we spent a lot of time training otherwise quite capable adolescents to perform adequately at job interviews

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Hes been unlucky. You can usualy get way past there but he probably doesnt know what line to take.

Well looking at the photo someone has taken a bow line ... is that the right line to take?

4 hours ago, pearley said:

There seem to be a few signs on the navigable Trent that are unreadable from  boat in mid channel unless you use binoculars. 

I carry binoculars on river navigations for exactly that reason .... 

4 hours ago, Jerra said:

Assuming we accept that they can speak English - ask yourself how many languages the average child in the UK can speak then travel the world to so called third world countries like Sri Lanka the Indian sub continent and the African subcontinent and you still rate us 2nd?

Edited by Halsey