Chinese diesel heaters........dont attack!!!

Matt&Jo

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

Hi alan,

I understand you comment of do your own research and i have been alot.....im on the facebook page and been watching youtube listening to reviews but i secong guess myself alot.....just who i am and felt an additional ask on here may bring more to light.....

My main fears are tapping the tank....maybe i could draw from my filter but im steering towards the internal tank variant....which i will have to remove for BSC.....as fuel inside is a no no unless under strict control with venting etc and splash bk.....or so i have read....

Now my own concerns with this unit is exhaust venting so that was a part of my question.

The unit im leaning towards BTW

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332868072756

Maybe if you are spending money you should consider a little more for a separate tank, It will be very useful if we lose the red diesel allowance we have at the moment. I am considering fitting one for my Dickinson and then running it on heating oil which at the moment is 57p lt against £1 35p for white diesel or 75p for red. It shouldn't take long to pay for the tank. The tank can be "free standing" so long as it is secured, say 4 brackets and bolts and the fill connected by the correct hose to the deck fitting.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Do you have a link to the unit you are considering please? Alan's concerns about a fuel tank inside the boat seem a little excessive given the fuel is still diesel, presumably. Is it diesel? 

Twas not I that raised the concerns about an 'internal' fuel tank, it was the OP, here :

4 hours ago, Matt&Jo said:

My main fears are tapping the tank....maybe i could draw from my filter but im steering towards the internal tank variant....which i will have to remove for BSC.....as fuel inside is a no no unless under strict control with venting etc and splash bk.....or so i have read....

Indeed it was me. I mentioned this on a facebook thread somewhere IIRC and someone said it would fail it bsc if you used the tank provided. This was for the standard units you get like this one

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F332867943103

Ive seen some units where the exhaust silencer was gas tight and some that leaked horendously......i guess its a suck it and see type scenario but yes exhaust gass internal is not fun and well.......deadly lol

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

My 5kw Chinese air heater veritably sips electricity in comparison to yours. 3a running at full power and 0.3a when fully modulated down to minimum. Plus a further 10a or so when the heater plug is running during start up.

Mike do you use your as a back up system or as your main heater besides your solid fuel stove? Or is this on a different boat?

24 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe if you are spending money you should consider a little more for a separate tank, It will be very useful if we lose the red diesel allowance we have at the moment. I am considering fitting one for my Dickinson and then running it on heating oil which at the moment is 57p lt against £1 35p for white diesel or 75p for red. It shouldn't take long to pay for the tank. The tank can be "free standing" so long as it is secured, say 4 brackets and bolts and the fill connected by the correct hose to the deck fitting.

I would try Goodwin Pastic tanks. They will make one to your exact spec, any shape and volume plus baffles if you desire and whatever fittings for pipework to suit your planned installation  .

I used them when I wanted a tank for a drip feed heater I was fitting.  They seem happy to advise over the phone.

Phil 

58 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

The Heating Oil will cause more sooting than the Red Diesel .

Edited by cereal tiller

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

That's interesting, no one has mentioned that before.

Yes ,these heaters are of the Vaporising type ,have fitted and repaired hundreds of of them to Vehicles and Boats over 4 Decades.Sooting up was drastically reduced when Boat Fuel became low Sulphur Spec.I am not sure that Heating Oil has changed of late ,if I were to run one on it I would be tempted to add Kerosene to the Mix.

57 minutes ago, cereal tiller said:

Yes ,these heaters are of the Vaporising type ,have fitted and repaired hundreds of of them to Vehicles and Boats over 4 Decades.Sooting up was drastically reduced when Boat Fuel became low Sulphur Spec.I am not sure that Heating Oil has changed of late ,if I were to run one on it I would be tempted to add Kerosene to the Mix.

Well as “heating oil” can either be red diesel/gas oil or kerosene, just saying “heating oil” doesn’t confirm what you the OP would use.   I presume from the price it would be kerosene.   BTW Red diesel is Gas Oil and therefore the same low sulphur.

Edited by Robbo

1 hour ago, cereal tiller said:

I noticed the same with the Dickinson, when the red changed I had no where near the amount of crap build up in the burner pot. But no one has ever mentioned heating oil being worse.

59 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Well as “heating oil” can either be red diesel/gas oil or kerosene, just saying “heating oil” doesn’t confirm what you the OP would use.   I presume from the price it would be kerosene.   BTW Red diesel is Gas Oil and therefore the same low sulphur.

The same as I use in my domestic heating at home. People who use it in Agas normally add some additive to it.

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

I noticed the same with the Dickinson, when the red changed I had no where near the amount of crap build up in the burner pot. But no one has ever mentioned heating oil being worse.

If the heavier stuff is used in the heater I would double lag the Exhaust Pipe and Silencer to keep everything hot and reduce Sooting.

4 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

But what do you do when your research brings up lots of conflicting advice, you can't follow it all, you have to make your own decisions.

Well picking the best advice you get and not one that means you install a guaranteed BSS fail so have to hide it would be a start! As a rule there's usually some good advice that gets you a workable solution (the exception  that proves the rule being anchoring for narrowboats)! :D

• Happy 1