Boat Safety Scheme

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:
1 hour ago, mrsmelly said:

check yer emails? My bloke sends me a pdjpthingy that opens on line ?

PDF perhaps?

I think MrSmelly's might be a bit of a mongrel - it's Ma was a PDF and it's Da was a JPEG. :giggles:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

As you say if your boat is licenced you must have one.

Not necessarily.

Your licence was (say) due Jan 2017 and your BSSC expired March 2017.

You licensed the boat without problem because you had a valid BSSC at the date of issue, but unless you remembered to renew your BSS during (or after) March 2017 you could have been operating without a BSS for the last 20 months.

It is a good idea to try and get the BSSC, the insurance and the licence to all run concurrently (helps the memory - buggers the budget)

1 hour ago, Jennifer McM said:

We're just about to book into a marina, and they want our BSS cert. Can we find it? Can we hell.... :(

The survey was carried out 7th Jan 2018, we've got the cert number, but no cert! Can't even remember who the surveyor was, though it was instigated by Springwood Haven.

Question is, how do we get around this?

Surely we wouldn't have been able to license our boat without one?

We've not asked if the marina would accept just the number, but we'll try.

When we applied for a winter mooring at BWML Kings Marina they asked for a copy of the BSS Certificate. I did have a written copy but no way of scanning it so simply gave them the certificate number and expiry date with the note that all BSS Certificates were now online. They haven't queried it or asked to see the paper copy now we are in the marina. 

Edited by pearley
  • Greenie 1

We're just about to book into a marina, and they want our BSS cert. Can we find it? Can we hell.... :(

The survey was carried out 7th Jan 2018, we've got the cert number, but no cert! Can't even remember who the surveyor was, though it was instigated by Springwood Haven.

Question is, how do we get around this?

Surely we wouldn't have been able to license our boat without one?

We've not asked if the marina would accept just the number, but we'll try.

Sent you a message to see if it helps your search.

• Greenie 1

11 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

three years ago

Just wondered if it was a recent change. It appears we still should have received a copy. Thanks

26 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

I too like a good door slam - I don't need anybody else to hear it I just need to know I've done it. ?

There's nothing like a good old 'flounce' :)

• Happy 1

Just wondered if it was a recent change. It appears we still should have received a copy. Thanks

There's nothing like a good old 'flounce' :)

That depends on the examiner using the correct email address. It may have bounced and she/he did not spot it. (We had this a few days ago when a quote for some work on  the house was sent by email and the chap was chasing, somewhat indignant that we had not responded. Turned out that he had inserted an extra x in the email address. If it is a corporate sender then the bounces may just go to an IT admin person or be dumped altogether)

23 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

That depends on the examiner using the correct email address. It may have bounced and she/he did not spot it. (We had this a few days ago when a quote for some work on  the house was sent by email and the chap was chasing, somewhat indignant that we had not responded. Turned out that he had inserted an extra x in the email address. If it is a corporate sender then the bounces may just go to an IT admin person or be dumped altogether)

That's always a possibility. I expect we'll wake up in the morning, and 'remember' where it went. Strange how we can lose things in such a small spaces :)