Boat Safety Scheme

Jennifer McM

Featured Posts

We're just about to book into a marina, and they want our BSS cert. Can we find it? Can we hell.... :(

The survey was carried out 7th Jan 2018, we've got the cert number, but no cert! Can't even remember who the surveyor was, though it was instigated by Springwood Haven.

Question is, how do we get around this?

Surely we wouldn't have been able to license our boat without one?

We've not asked if the marina would accept just the number, but we'll try.

They don't issue a certificate now, they just send you an email. CRT have the details straight from the BSS inspector so they know you have it. As you say if your boat is licenced you must have one. You may be able to get the details if you log on to the CRT site but I have not tried it

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Brillaint, thank you Brian.... , no wonder we can't find it then. Maybe the marina should update their application form, they are asking for a copy. 

check yer emails? My bloke sends me a pdjpthingy that opens on line ?

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

They don't issue a certificate now, they just send you an email. CRT have the details straight from the BSS inspector so they know you have it. As you say if your boat is licenced you must have one. You may be able to get the details if you log on to the CRT site but I have not tried it

Been on CRT site, we couldn't download the certificate, so we printed the page saying when the next one is due. Thanks for the tip.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

check yer emails? My bloke sends me a pdjpthingy that opens on line ?

TBH I suggested that, and it caused a bit of a domestic, cos I said it should be there and 'he' said it's not!  :) Oh well ....

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Been on CRT site, we couldn't download the certificate, so we printed the page saying when the next one is due. Thanks for the tip.

There isn't a certificate, just a record that it has passed inspection and when the next one is due

1 minute ago, MartinC said:

Explained https://www.boatsafetyscheme.org/boat-examination/arranging-the-examination/bss-certificates-explained/

As I read this if you have not been sent a PDF copy or a printed copy your examiner is not doing his job.

My memory is pretty mush these days, but I 'think' the examiner asked us to sign something saying that he had explained the 'terms'. We've had the boat turned upside down this morning, and can't find any copy. I doubt we'd have thrown something like this away. 

From the website :

In summary

• The BSS examination continues in the same way, it's just that there's no blue copy of the BSS Certificate to pass to the navigation authority.
  • Boat owners must still be given either an electronic version of the report, or a paper print-out or both, as the owner prefers.
  • Navigation authorities may still ask owners for examination numbers, the examiner name, examination date, expiry date and the classification of checks used - all of which is then later confirmed through the database.
  • The certificate sets out clearly when the boat was examined, what the examiner found, and the certification expiry date.
  • The change will help some navigation authorities to develop online boat registration and licensing, making the administration easier.
  • The BSS would like boat owners to continue to pass on the BSS certification information from their boat file to the new owner, if or when, the craft is sold on.
  • The BSS examination central database holds only examination and boat data, no owner or personal information is included.
  • This means boats owners do not get direct access to the BSS database.
  • The improvements will also involve essential boat risk information being recorded online by BSS Examiners and this is planned to improve safety on the waterways.

7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just ask your BSS bod for a copy of it by email, giving him the certificate number. 

Of course that assumes you can remember who did it! 

I can remember who did ours (he is, or was, a member here). But, if I haven't got the certificate, how can I know its number?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Search your e-mail when hubby not looking. Use the search box and keyword. Ours has been e-mailed over the last couple of times

I think you mean "wife" - what do you take me for? But I delete most e-mails after I have read them, and sometimes even before that.

6 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Just ask your BSS bod for a copy of it by email, giving him the certificate number. 

Of course that assumes you can remember who did it! 

Can't remember though, it was done by a marina, thought it was prudent for them to organise one as they did a lot of electrical work on the boat - if there was a problem, it would have been promptly sorted (think that was our thoughts at the time)

We've been in contact with CRT, they told us we can request a certificate by phoning 0333 2021000 > BSS office.

Have just done this, quoting the cert no. They were very nice, took details of the boat, and our email address, they'll be sending us a copy in a few days time. 

Just now, TheBiscuits said:

It is visible on your online licencing account.  Look under "My Boats". 

Thanks. I didn't know that I had an on-line licensing account. I always renew the licence by cheque.

Just now, Athy said:

I think you mean "wife" - what do you take me for? But I delete most e-mails after I have read them, and sometimes even before that.

Ha ha. Was responding to OP. Surely you don't delete important e-mails?Surely you would have downloaded to your computer important docs like BSS (assuming you had one emailed), insurance documents etc etc.Surely you would then backup all important documents to another drive/location too? Surely,Shirley!:)

I have e-mails dating back 15 years sorted into folders.The search function is also pretty good (Gmail). 

2 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Search your e-mail when hubby not looking. Use the search box and keyword. Ours has been e-mailed over the last couple of times

That's his email though, he's (supposed to have :) ) done a search, though he did come up with a certificate number. 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Ha ha. Was responding to OP. Surely you don't delete important e-mails?Surely you would have downloaded to your computer important docs like BSS (assuming you had one emailed), insurance documents etc etc.Surely you would then backup all important documents to another drive/location too? Surely,Shirley!:)

I sometimes print and file important ones, yes, and I'd have thought that I'd done so with a Boat safety certificate. But it's not in the "Boat" folder.

All our insurance documents, bank communications etc. come by post. Occasionally one arrives by e-mail, but it's always a fake one.