Electrically Propelled Houseboat Building Permission

Stelka29

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Stelka29 said:

Hi Dora, I don't have any experience with boat ownership, I think using the test boat would be so different that it's hard to justify. But your right about building the craft. I'm thinking of using expanded cork for insulating double studded walls, possibly rubber underlay, but this is the area in the grey zone until I find a way to "Raise the roof". 

Are you aware that each year several/many self builders/self fit-outs are sold on because they take far more time than the owners thought. I would suspect three to five years for a fit out and more for a build. That assume the owners is still working so can only work evenings and weekends.

Raising the roof is easy enough with plywood sheets on structural uprights and beams but what we call "wooden tops" seem to be prone to leaks. It is no accident that modern canal boats of any size are metal.

21 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

What is it about that fine vessel that makes you both think it would not pass a BSS?

No engine, no fuel system. About the only thing that would involve the BSS regs is gas, and it might not have that either. And if it has, you can't see any of it from the photo.

Mike, no engine , no fuel system, no gas, but it does have a stove

28 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Why do you always have to spoil for an argument?  It may or may not have a stove jeez!!

You're the one doing the arguing, starting off with your insulting and uncalled-for comment about it not being BSS-worthy, which deserved not be left unchallenged.  

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Add some missing worms

42 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

How does a boat like that get its BSS?

Because it doesn't have the capability of killing passers-by (which is what the BSS is for)

The BSS makes no representation as to the safety of the boat for the owner, or its liklehood to survive any passing 'wash' from a speeding boat, or aesthetic requirements.

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency. Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users.

20 minutes ago, Bazza954 said:

Floating shed01.jpg

I'm not saying that's not a chimney but at first glance I thought that was just ripped and lifted plastic sheeting. 

ETA - It look like that chimney is coming through the plastic sheeting. 

Edited by Tumshie

Just now, rusty69 said:

What are you saying?

I think she noticed it as it looks like a nice flap in the roofing felt to crawl under and make a nice cozy nest for a tumshie bogle to live in. 

FREE BOATING!!!!!!!!

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think she noticed it as it looks like a nice flap in the roofing felt to crawl under and make a nice cozy nest for a tumshie bogle to live in. 

FREE BOATING!!!!!!!!

Eggsacly. :D

Edited by Tumshie

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

FREE BOATING!!!!!!!!

I thought they was ground goblins, so scared of heights!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

In which case  building a boat from scratch is a BONKERS thing to do. Building a boat is expensive and only really for them with deep pockets. There is no one thing that costs a load of money, more that there are loads of things that cost apparently affordable sums in isolation, but they just come thick and fast, and once you are committed to the project you have no choice but to keep of shelling out.

As Her Dora-ship says, buy an old, cheap, finished boat. Save yourself a fortune!

HI Stelka - please listen to what we are all saying - there are lots of cheap boats out there which will give you a much better introduction to the system

• Greenie 1

Just now, rusty69 said:

I thought they was ground goblins, so scared of heights!

Actually yes, and this raises the question of size too. Common ground goblins are often mentioned in passing as being capable of catching and eating small dogs, so I'd imagine they stand about 18" high and weigh a few kG. So I'm not so sure the lovely Tumshie would actually be able to fit under that roof felt flap. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Actually yes, and this raises the question of size too. Common ground goblins are often mentioned in passing as being capable of catching and eating small dogs, so I'd imagine they stand about 18" high and weigh a few kG. So I'm not so sure the lovely Tumshie would actually be able to fit under that roof felt flap. 

? I may be a little rotund but I can breathes in well. ?

• Happy 1