Electrically Propelled Houseboat Building Permission

Stelka29

Featured Posts

29 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Ah, so it DOES have a stove, and that is the flue. How on earth did it get a BSS...!!!!

:giggles:

Because it doesn't have the capability of killing passers-by (which is what the BSS is for)

The BSS makes no representation as to the safety of the boat for the owner, or its liklehood to survive any passing 'wash' from a speeding boat, or aesthetic requirements.

The Boat Safety Scheme, or BSS, is a public safety initiative owned by the Canal & River Trust and the Environment Agency. Its purpose is to help minimise the risk of boat fires, explosions, or pollution harming visitors to the inland waterways, the waterways' workforce and any other users.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because it doesn't have the capability of killing passers-by

I disagree. With no roof collar that flue is in contact with flammable roofing felt so could set fire to the boat and put passers-by at risk of being thoroughly warmed up on a cold day. Not to mention CRT staff and any firefighters called out. 

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I disagree. With no roof collar that flue is in contact with flammable roofing felt so could set fire to the boat and put passers-by at risk of being thoroughly warmed up on a cold day. Not to mention CRT staff and any firefighters called out. 

Is that a BSS failure, provided there is no heat damage

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Ventilation is not a BSS requirement, even having no ventilation is NOT a BSS fail

That is very true, Now I don't know why I put it, guess I was trying hard to find something you could fail it on. BTW a BSS inspector has never dropped the ceiling on my boat to see if the Polystyrene is clear of the flue.

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're the one doing the arguing, starting off with your insulting and uncalled-for comment about it not being BSS-worthy, which deserved not be left unchallenged.  

Except I never said that did I?

9 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

You're the one doing the arguing, starting off with your insulting and uncalled-for comment about it not being BSS-worthy, which deserved not be left unchallenged.  

Neither did I insult the boat. I actually love boats like that. You would do well to actually read what people write before jumping down their throats. 

• Greenie 1

On ‎08‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 08:52, Stelka29 said:

Also just curious whether there's anything I didn't think about. Thanks.

You may find the attached of help :

"How to build a Pontoon Houseboat"

https://www.all-about-houseboats.com/building-a-house-boat.html

There are even links to free plans that you can build to.

• Love 1

3rd party insurance aren't bothered they just want the cash so the directors can buy bigger cars. I guess once it becomes a problem and claims start mounting up that will change and everyone will have to have a bss in order to get insurance regardless of vessel type. Including dinghies I expect. 

Edited by magnetman

47 minutes ago, magnetman said:

3rd party insurance aren't bothered they just want the cash so the directors can buy bigger cars. I guess once it becomes a problem and claims start mounting up that will change and everyone will have to have a bss in order to get insurance regardless of vessel type. Including dinghies I expect. 

I have my boat fully comp insured, wide area coverage and no request for a BSSC.

All tidal, coastal and inland waters between Brest and Elbe. You are NOT allowed to sail:
Further north than 61 degrees north ;
Further east than 10 degrees east ;
Further south than 48 degrees 10 minutes north ; and
Further west than 12 degrees west.

Cruising Range Map.png

Edited by Alan de Enfield

On 13/11/2018 at 16:39, magnetman said:

everyone will have to have a bss in order to get insurance regardless of vessel type. Including dinghies I expect. 

So far as I can work out, to get a BSS on a dinghy without an outboard (and no inboard engine, no electrics, no gas appliances, no stove) you'd need one fire extinguisher.

True, there are quite a lot of those on sale, but I don't plan on recycling my conceptual craft. Aluminium seems viable for the roof, especially if I can get it to reflect some heat, even so, the roof would need to be in multiple parts to extend and retract (Even unfurl), thus not completely airtight, so heat is a problem. The roof would have to be light enough to lift, with enough insulation to stay warm, using electric linear shafts look like the way to go, Though they'll need power, especially if well insulated - Id have to downsize to about 20 feet which I'm not too upset about.

On 09/11/2018 at 13:30, Halsey said:

HI Stelka - please listen to what we are all saying - there are lots of cheap boats out there which will give you a much better introduction to the system

Okay if the list of known costs ever pass 8k Ill look at some test boats I promise