Marple Lock 11 update

Cheshire cat

Featured Posts

The thing that I'm brassed off about is the fact that "the update" hasn't just suddenly come about due to new information... SOMEONE knew there wasn't a snowballs chance in hell they'd have been able to meet their original plans but didn't have the balls to own up as soon as they suspected it.... had they have done so, we'd have been able to contact the booked guests to try and work around it... for the 2nd time.

THE first 3 cruises of THIS year - are ALREADY carried over from last year because of this problem!!!  - which we exacerbated by the drought  as it meant we couldn't get to where we had paid passengers booked even if we'd abandoned Marple then.

This is only the 2nd year of doing this as a business - and yes ... refunding folk IS the difference between breaking even and a loss... now ok - I've got savings and have taken the philosophical view as much as possible about this... after all we're doing it this way to experience semi-retirement early on ... for the most part it's working out quite well and in fact this year, we've got lots booked.... BUT even they will still be vulnerable to another drought/floods etc.   

"Heritage" is all well and good but what is the point in having something that doesn't work for 2 years but is made from the original stone ffs.  Engineering HAS moved on - the only thing that doesn't seem to be able to move these days are boats!  I'm not blaming crt per-say, but the contractors and english heritage need to pull their fingers out and use some "on the ground" common sense.

Oh - and btw ... being a ginger middle aged backwards dancer means it's practically impossible to offend me.  *inferred twinkle*....

• Greenie 3
  • Haha 1

I arrived at Marple locks 2 hours after they closed in Sept 2017.   I eventually gave up and went away, and now it looks like I'll still not be able to get through (from the other side, admittedly) over 18 months later.  I wish we had 19th century technology and impetus now - the whole thing would have been open in a few weeks.

5 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I wish we had 19th century technology and impetus now - the whole thing would have been open in a few weeks.

A similar situation to the coastal railway line at Dawlish which lasted a similar length of time.  Just this week "they" revealed plans to build a new higher wall further from the track, with a broader walkway and a re-curve to turn the wave energy back on itself.  The local pub landlord was on the news saying how bad the plan was and exactly what should be done.  When are "they" going to learn how simple this stuff is and to consult the man in the pub in the first place and get it right first time?  

Edited by Sea Dog

5 hours ago, Goliath said:

Yes, I’m surprised after 200+ years things are falling apart. I wonder why they weren't built to last. 

They were, unfortunately all the people who knew how to keep them in one piece have been laid off or retired and contractors appointed who might know how to build a 1/4 mile high Shard, but don't know how to look after something that has gotten Mac of Cygnet home for the last 200 years?

8 hours ago, Goliath said:

Quaysider,

Which way you going now ? Where you coming from and to?

Glenn

kiIDHc92_3noGyt6bTTGz7Ntv_yUq98XOC6eEakANo choice really but to leave 2 weeks earlier so as to be able to get to Bugsworth to fulfill bookings 2-3 and keep on track for the rest.... the downside is, the first couple are unable to switch dates as they have prior commitments - ergo, we have to potentially lose the greater amount of money in order to disrupt the least amount of people.. it sucks.  We are hoping to be able to create something of interest to them in an (as yet) un booked week in August but as they've already been moved from last year to this year, they may well (quite understandably) want their money back ?     

9 minutes ago, Quaysider said:

kiIDHc92_3noGyt6bTTGz7Ntv_yUq98XOC6eEakANo choice really but to leave 2 weeks earlier so as to be able to get to Bugsworth to fulfill bookings 2-3 and keep on track for the rest.... the downside is, the first couple are unable to switch dates as they have prior commitments - ergo, we have to potentially lose the greater amount of money in order to disrupt the least amount of people.. it sucks.  We are hoping to be able to create something of interest to them in an (as yet) un booked week in August but as they've already been moved from last year to this year, they may well (quite understandably) want their money back ?     

Then I think I’ll be dragging me heels behind you. But if we do cross, (and I know you'll have crew,) I’m more than willing to help you down a flight and help speed you on. 

Good  luck. 

• Greenie 2

• 3 months later...