Cost per kw/h

Johny London

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

But if the current set have lasted 12 years, wouldn’t it be false economy to change? Or are you thinking of changing boats in the next 12 years?

Not thinking of changing the boat unless another one picks me! ?

The Lifeline batteries are tres expensive,

I have 6 of these 6 volt batteries for the domestic battery, 2 for the bow thruster and a 12 volt one for engine starting.

https://www.tayna.co.uk/marine-batteries/lifeline/gpl-31t/

I don't really need 660Ah of domestic battery capacity, so hopefully these will last another few years and by then the picture may be clearer regarding LifePO4's and lead carbon batteries.

Main problem is that Lifelines are physically quite small for their output and sit in a welded steel battery box, so it may be expensive to change the battery box, assuming that there will be sufficient space for physically larger batteries.

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

• 3 weeks later...

The Leoch ones say "Excellent Fast Charging Acceptance: 2 hour to 90% SoC I assume that's from 50 or 60%? And then how long to get the last 10%? That might not be an awful lot faster than l/a's when all is said and done. (Maybe twice as quick???Also, the sulfation issue concerns me.

4 minutes ago, Johny London said:

And then how long to get the last 10%?

I think the point is that with lead carbon batteries (from the marketing blurb - which may not be giving the full story), the last 10% does not need to be charged. 

16 minutes ago, Johny London said:

I assume that's from 50 or 60%?

Why do you assume that?  As it stands it’s a completely meaningless statement. “Charge up to 90%”. From 0%? From 50%? From 85%?  I note that Victron suggest 0.2C as a charging rate for long life, yet Leoch are (presumably, because once again they give no detail) suggesting a far higher charge rate than that. Great that the battery will accept a higher rate but what’s that doing for internal corrosion?

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I think the point is that with lead carbon batteries (from the marketing blurb - which may not be giving the full story), the last 10% does not need to be charged. 

Again, where does it say that?  It states ‘more resistant’ to sulphation. It doesn’t say ‘does not suffer from sulphation’. 

What does ‘more resistant’ mean?

34 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Again, where does it say that?  It states ‘more resistant’ to sulphation. It doesn’t say ‘does not suffer from sulphation’. 

Pretty sure I found that claim on the Leoch site, but just been back and its all different now. 

• 2 months later...
On 08/11/2018 at 00:33, Tom and Bex said:

I think I'll be sticking with my lithiums?

Down to 9% today after 4 days usage, ran engine for a couple hours, now back up to 61%. That'll do now for a couple days or so?

I need some of this in my life.