Anyone for the Chop?

rusty69

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, matty40s said:

Anyone for the Chop?

well, we met him on Saturday and he's a splendid chap, bumped into him in the Boat (Stoke Bruerne) before we realised who he was then bumped into him again dodging the rainstorm, and introduced ourselves.

As for wood, we have seen 2 boaters every day for the last 2 weeks coming back from somewhere with rather large tree branches down the towpath, they look dead (the branches) and they appear to come from a canal side coppice about 1/2 mile from where their boats are moored. So why dont they either take one of their boats and load it up and come back, or just go and moor where the wood is?? answers on a postcard...address not supplied..

Not quite an answer to your question, but my technique for collecting canalside wood is to get it onto the roof if possible without using the chainsaw, take it at least a mile away, and cut it up there ointo stove-size pieces using the chainsaw, so being able to answer truthfully if queried:  "Well this didn't come from here".  In fact I've only been queried once in over 15 years (at Tixall Wide, so be careful).

Having said that, I came across this notice on the Macc near Congleton this year.

Dead wood.jpg

On 12/11/2018 at 09:13, tree monkey said:

I have a stihl maul and a no name, both similar looking but I find the no name is horrible to use for some reason, I think it's down to what suits you tbh.

I have to expose my ignorance here and say that I had no idea of what a maul was, looked it up in the dictionary which just gave the scrum sort of definition. It took good old google to give the answer, I'd always thought of it as being called a woodcutters axe, so you learn something new everyday.

I suppose it gives some more sense to the mention it gets in the well known Queen song,"...she keeps a maul and a shovel in a pretty cabinet....", or have I misheard that?:wacko:

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I have to expose my ignorance here and say that I had no idea of what a maul was, looked it up in the dictionary which just gave the scrum sort of definition. It took good old google to give the answer, I'd always thought of it as being called a woodcutters axe, so you learn something new everyday.

I suppose it gives some more sense to the mention it gets in the well known Queen song,"...she keeps a maul and a shovel in a pretty cabinet....", or have I misheard that?:wacko:

I had to look it up too. An axe is thin and sharp and is what you cut a tree down with, or trim branches from a fallen tree. A maul is shorter and blunt and is what you split logs with. 

15 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Just to add to the confusion 'maul' covers a multitude of sins and can also be a fencer's maul which isn't even an axe but a thing you whack fence posts in with. ?

I thought i was an American Shopping centre?

I always buy my Coats there !

Edited by cereal tiller
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, aracer said:

Is that like an epee a foil or a sabre?

The last one’s a prehistoric tiger, the middle one is what I cover a chicken with in the oven and the first one is a short-changed Native Anerican’s house. 

• Haha 1

On 12/11/2018 at 07:33, mark99 said:

Yes,

Together with a mooring pin hammer.

And I've found the pointy type, as per Screwfix like, much better than the wedge shape with a broad chisel nose type.

13 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yes,

Together with a mooring pin hammer.

And I've found the pointy type, as per Screwfix like, much better than the wedge shape with a broad chisel nose type.

With your love of things mechanical I thought you might fancy one of these....

iu.jpeg

iu.jpeg