Anyone for the Chop?

rusty69

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm no expert like your good self, so I blindly bought mine by post. It's craftsman made and craftsman QC'd though and to me it seems absolutely what they promise. 

There's some truth in what Rusty says above though, so my chopper on the boat is from Screfix iirc! The Gransfors is a joy to use though as it's razor sharp and beautifully balanced - overkill for making kindling or emergency rope hacking. The Gransfors lives in my lounge at home. It gets used, it would almost earn its keep for ornamental purposes alone!  

Yup, my day to day axes are stihl, a splitting maul and a hatchet, I do have a no name splitting maul but it's horrible to use, so that's the one I lend out :)

3 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I have a treasured screwdriver.Sentimental value and all that. I've had it for about twenty years now.My dear old dad left it.

I'll have to give it back to him one day,I expect he misses it:)

a couple of tools I raided from my grandfathers shed when the property was being cleared were a very nice set of circlip pliers (never found modern ones to match them) and an unusual rasp / cirform tool with reversible blades (coarse/fine) which despite its age is razor sharp and seems a lot more durable than modern versions even with its bakelite handle.

I had a few other bits but was being brutal and only taking tools that I would use on a regular basis

• Happy 1

My father was a joiner / cabinetmaker.  He made almost all his own furniture - we still have some.  I inherited his tools, but I don't even know what some of them are for, and he would be wryly amused if he knew that my most-used tools are a hammer and a chainsaw.

• Greenie 1

A timely thread for me - I think I've found some "free" wood and live somewhere where there are plenty of sources and looking to buy some tools (I'm enjoying the excuse to get some proper bush tools :) ) Currently trying to decide between getting a Bahco bow saw (probably a big one) or a cheap £7 one from Wilko, but also thinking of getting an axe or maul for splitting - does anybody have https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-fibreglass-handle-axe-3-lb/3188c or https://www.screwfix.com/p/forge-steel-fibreglass-handle-maul-8lb/6164c are they any good, and which one should I go for (or something completely different).

Advice on whether the Wilko bow saw is any good or I should just go for the Bahco is also welcomed.

13 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I have had the same hatchet for years. Not very sharp (bit like me).Its great for splitting kindling, and being relatively blunt, will not slice right through my fingers, but probably only half way.

Bet you have one of these (or similar too)

71zxusuPVwL._SX355_.jpg

I wouldn't fancy shaving with that.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, aracer said:

Advice on whether the Wilko bow saw is any good or I should just go for the Bahco is also welcomed.

I can't say whether the wilco one is any good, but I bought a Bahco one, which is significantly better than the diy store one I previously had.

Like anything else tool wise.If you intend to use it a lot, and can afford it.....get the best you can

7 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I can't say whether the wilco one is any good, but I bought a Bahco one, which is significantly better than the diy store one I previously had.

Like anything else tool wise.If you intend to use it a lot, and can afford it.....get the best you can

Thanks - I doubt the Wilko one is and better than a DIY store one (likely identical) so that tends to confirm my thoughts. I had actually found cheap ones before I decided on a Bahco, but then I was in Wilko yesterday and picked one up - it looked OK from what I could tell and half the price of a Bahco, but you're right, I intend to use it plenty now I've worked out that there are plentiful sources of nearby free wood (though I guess thinking about it there are merits to not getting the huge one I'm thinking of so I can hide it in a rucksack when I'm sneaking into the woods!)

26 minutes ago, aracer said:

Thanks - I doubt the Wilko one is and better than a DIY store one (likely identical) so that tends to confirm my thoughts. I had actually found cheap ones before I decided on a Bahco, but then I was in Wilko yesterday and picked one up - it looked OK from what I could tell and half the price of a Bahco, but you're right, I intend to use it plenty now I've worked out that there are plentiful sources of nearby free wood (though I guess thinking about it there are merits to not getting the huge one I'm thinking of so I can hide it in a rucksack when I'm sneaking into the woods!)

I use one of these for sneaking into woods (ok not really sneaking)

makes short work of most of what I grab, just takes a bit of getting used to with the majority of the cutting being done on the back stroke

repm.png

13 minutes ago, mark99 said:

Does anyome use wedges?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/roughneck-wood-grenade-log-splitter/51334

Or just a maul.

I've got 1.5 trees to split (that have been cut to decent logs size but need splitting).

I don't like the grenade type wedges, I've had them bounce out and hit my shin,and rarely use the normal wedge type, just a decent maul and axe, anything that won't split gets the chainsaw.

Occasionally I have used a small kindling axe as a wedge with a lump hammer.

2 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I don't like the grenade type wedges, I've had them bounce out and hit my shin,and rarely use the normal wedge type, just a decent maul and axe, anything that won't split gets the chainsaw.

Occasionally I have used a small kindling axe as a wedge with a lump hammer.

Thanks TM.

Can you recommend a Maul?

Can I just check again then what tools I need (or what other people have)? Getting a Bahco bowsaw (trying to decide between 24 or 30), will get a maul for splitting (not sure whether I need an expensive one or the Screwfix ones will do). http://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/features/10-tips-to-choosing-the-right-saw-for-the-job-1-3855562 seems to suggest a folding saw for thinner stuff - I guess Bahco again? Do I also need a hatchet for kindling? (I've been collecting sticks which seems to work well enough for that)

1 hour ago, aracer said:

Can I just check again then what tools I need (or what other people have)? Getting a Bahco bowsaw (trying to decide between 24 or 30), will get a maul for splitting (not sure whether I need an expensive one or the Screwfix ones will do). http://www.sportingshooter.co.uk/features/10-tips-to-choosing-the-right-saw-for-the-job-1-3855562 seems to suggest a folding saw for thinner stuff - I guess Bahco again? Do I also need a hatchet for kindling? (I've been collecting sticks which seems to work well enough for that)

You don't have to buy really expensive saws and axes, it is worth it if you want to do a lot with them but if you only need to chop a few sticks and some kindlers then you could get away with some thing less expensive; but really cheap and you may find you loose your head. My bushman saw only cost me £6* but I've had it years and I buy better quality blades for it, if you are going to be using you bowsaw / bushman in tighter places like the woods then a shorter one might be better but if you are sawing on a horse or any where where there's room to move then your arm will thank you for a longer Length of blade. 

You can't go far wrong with anything made by Stihl and it will last. I often chop kindling with a larger axe and rarely bother with a hatchet but I've been doing it for a while (forever) so if you don't feel confident or again you don't have space use a hatchet or if you have kids or dogs that might bump the handle of you larger axe then use a hatchet (even a very blunt axe can do nasty things to your fingers). If you can get into a shop that sells a good range of axes then then I recommend that, it's good to get a feel of what there're like in your hand and that will help decide which is best for you, hardware shops in more rural areas or garden centres of the more practical variety might be a starting point. 

*Ps. I just looked my bushman up on line and it would cost me £20 if I bought it again today 

Edited by Tumshie

Anyone for the Chop?

well, we met him on Saturday and he's a splendid chap, bumped into him in the Boat (Stoke Bruerne) before we realised who he was then bumped into him again dodging the rainstorm, and introduced ourselves.

As for wood, we have seen 2 boaters every day for the last 2 weeks coming back from somewhere with rather large tree branches down the towpath, they look dead (the branches) and they appear to come from a canal side coppice about 1/2 mile from where their boats are moored. So why dont they either take one of their boats and load it up and come back, or just go and moor where the wood is?? answers on a postcard...address not supplied..

22 hours ago, aracer said:

With bow saws a lot depends on the blade, which is replaceable anyway and Bahco are a reasonable brand as are sandvick, unless you are used to using them don't buy the big buggers get the smaller pointed ones, much much easier to control. 

The folding pruning saw types are very useful for smaller stuff and again sandvick, Bahco etc are all decent the dogs danglies are Silky but expect to pay for them.

Again similar with axes don't buy cheap, fiskars are highly rated but any decent make should be fine