Anyone for the Chop?

rusty69

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

For that price, I could get 30 of the screwfix ones.Mind you, I bet I could buy up all the stock and flog em on ebay for £5.99 in a couple of weeks.Ha Ha HA (evil laugh)

Edited by rusty69

6 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Pah and pah again

Quite so. The mixture of cheap castings and a sharp edge is a recipe for disaster.

Mind you, I 'm not sure that the "Wildlife Hatchet" is very well named - I know it means fit for life in the wild, but one gets a mental picture of harmless furry creatures being riven in two.

Just now, Athy said:

Quite so. The mixture of cheap castings and a sharp edge is a recipe for disaster.

Mind you, I 'm not sure that the "Wildlife Hatchet" is very well named - I know it means fit for life in the wild, but one gets a mental picture of harmless furry creatures being riven in two.

I've never had that particular mental image, not sure what that says..

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

For that price, I could get 30 of the screwfix ones.Mind you, I bet I could buy up all the stock and flog em on ebay for £5.99 in a couple of weeks.Ha Ha HA (evil laugh)

Yeah but my axe is a thing of beauty 

Willow maker?

3 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I don't actually have one yet but one day :)

I do have some very lovely sharp things though

While you are saving up, I know where you can get one going cheap! £5.99 to you!

Edited by rusty69

Just now, tree monkey said:

My burfday pressie,  I have others

20181014_114240.jpg

Nice birfday cake cutter!

1 minute ago, cereal tiller said:

I had one but on Armistice day a few Years ago I decided to bury it ,now I can't remember where!

Treat yerself to a new three then!

1 minute ago, Sea Dog said:

I'm with you here Tree Monkey!  I have a Gransfors small forest axe - tis a thing of beauty!

Bet you talk to it and fondle it when no one is looking too...........

What have you named it?

I bet it has a name.

Go on.....What is it?

Oak n fell!

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I am going to treat myself but I need to handle before buying, not a thing to buy over the internet. 

They are lovely things 

Trouble with a posh chopper, is that its too posh to actually use.You need something cheap and nasty. Not too cheap that the head will fly off and hit someone in the back of the head mind.

8 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

I am going to treat myself but I need to handle before buying, not a thing to buy over the internet. 

They are lovely things 

I'm no expert like your good self, so I blindly bought mine by post. It's craftsman made and craftsman QC'd though and to me it seems absolutely what they promise. 

There's some truth in what Rusty says above though, so my chopper on the boat is from Screfix iirc! The Gransfors is a joy to use though as it's razor sharp and beautifully balanced - overkill for making kindling or emergency rope hacking. The Gransfors lives in my lounge at home. It gets used, it would almost earn its keep for ornamental purposes alone!  

3 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

Treasured Tools, now thats almost worth a thread of its own.

I have a treasured screwdriver.Sentimental value and all that. I've had it for about twenty years now.My dear old dad left it.

I'll have to give it back to him one day,I expect he misses it:)

43 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I have had the same hatchet for years. Not very sharp (bit like me).Its great for splitting kindling, and being relatively blunt, will not slice right through my fingers, but probably only half way.

Bet you have one of these (or similar too)

71zxusuPVwL._SX355_.jpg

I have one of those nice folding saws.....somewhere. It’s in the house, I’m sure, but where I don’t know. This fact annoys the hell out of me.

49 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I have had the same hatchet for years. Not very sharp (bit like me).Its great for splitting kindling, and being relatively blunt, will not slice right through my fingers, but probably only half way.

Bet you have one of these (or similar too)

71zxusuPVwL._SX355_.jpg

One or two but all Silky which are the dogs danglies