2019-2020 Licence Fees Announced

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

I suggest the rate at which the number is increasing actually can't be dismissed.

I had no idea the numbers of wide beam boats on the canals was increasing so rapidly a suggested.

While sea boats such as mine are common sight where we are (River Trent) I don't particularly think of them as wide beams.  The river is wide enough and only occasionally the channel narrows  such that meeting a wide beam boat becomes and issue - even then not much of an issue.

At moorings on the river the length of the boat taking up space is considerably more significant than the beam. Most sea boats on the Trent are well under 40ft.

Not sure why people want a wide beam barge on a narrow canal but it is presumably for accommodation rather than cruising pleasure. 

Maybe wide beams should stick to rivers and  narrowboats should stick to the canals ?

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

Maybe wide beams should stick to rivers and  narrowboats should stick to the canals ?

I stand to be corrected but I believe there are more miles of canals designed for 'widebeams' than there are of 'narrowbeam' canals.

The 7 foot beam boat is the 'oddity' not the 10-14 foot beam boats.

7 minutes ago, MartynG said:

While sea boats such as mine are common sight where we are (River Trent) I don't particularly think of them as wide beams.  The river is wide enough and only occasionally the channel narrows  such that meeting a wide beam boat becomes and issue - even then not much of an issue.

At moorings on the river the length of the boat taking up space is considerably more significant than the beam. Most sea boats on the Trent are well under 40ft.

Much the same as on the Ouse at York

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I stand to be corrected but I believe there are more miles of canals designed for 'widebeams' than there are of 'narrowbeam' canals.

The 7 foot beam boat is the 'oddity' not the 10-14 foot beam boats.

In that case  why do I feel   there is so much intense objection of wide beams among  narrowboat owners .

Further to your request of 4^th January and subsequent clarification of 
both 6^th and 8^th January, please see the information you have requested 
below.

o 18,888 Boats Listed as craft type “Narrowboat” currently licensed 
o 1315 Boats listed as Widebeam 
o 8054 Boats with a beam equal to or over 2.10m (not necessarily listed 
as widebeam but could be)

This was the answer provided by Frazer Halcrow of CRT in response to a FOI request  https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/numbers_of_narrowboats_and_wide

15 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

below.

This was the answer provided by Frazer Halcrow of CRT in response to a FOI request  https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/numbers_of_narrowboats_and_wide

So around1/3 are going to have a 10% - 20%  upload, VERY revenue  neutral.

26 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

below.

This completely contradicts what we were told in a CRT Boater's Subgroup meeting.......

Which was......

CRT couldn't actually identify how many craft were wide beam, because although the system held a field to allow it to be recorded, there was not actually anything currently that insisted on you providing the information and ensuring it was accurate.

No mention was made of the system actually having a "craft type" that could be set to "Narrowboat" or "Widebeam", and I'm somewhat cynical that this actually exists.

We were told that if they went for width based licensing it would require that that width data had to be gathered for all boats.

So there you go - two completely different answers from CRT to exactly the same question, (and I think in very much in the same time-frame).

15 minutes ago, croftie said:

So around1/3 are going to have a 10% - 20%  upload, VERY revenue  neutral.

Nothing like 1/3 surely?  Huge numbers of boats are recorded as 2.1 metres beam (or somewhat more than that) which are definitely narrow boats.

Here are mine

Sikckle. Built by W J Yarwoods - Length : 12.192 metres ( 40 feet ) - Beam : 2.134 metres ( 7 feet ) - Draft : 0.914 metres ( 3 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 33 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 501286 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

Flamingo. Built by Yarwood & Sons - Length : 22.16 metres ( 72 feet 8 inches ) - Beam : 2.13 metres ( 7 feet ) - Draft : 0.91 metres ( 3 feet ). Metal hull N/A power of 23 HP. Registered with Canal & River Trust number 67061 as a Powered Motor Boat.  ( Last updated on Wednesday 22nd May 2013 )

8054 Boats with a beam equal to or over 2.10m

is actually just about totally meaningless, and renders the answer to the question quite pointless.  As written virtually all of them could be narrow boats.

48 minutes ago, MartynG said:

In that case  why do I feel   there is so much intense objection of wide beams among  narrowboat owners .

Same reason as CCers think leisure boaters hate them.  And yoghurt pots think tin cans despise them.  I don't know about canoeists.  They probably think fishermen hate them.

it's all crap. No-one objects to CCers, fat boat owners, people who sit in marinas all year, plastic tubs, pedalos, Carabos.

I quote you the god Thoth-Hermes, from the Sheckley Bible:

"...naturally, you and all the other pearly white onions think that carrots are just bad news, merely some kind of misshapen orangey onion, whereas the carrots look at you and rap about freaky round white carrots, wow! I mean,  in actuality everything's got a place in The Stew!  And that means that everybody who exists is necessary, and you must have long hateful orange carrots if you're also going to have nice pleasant decent white onions, or vice versa, because without all the ingredients, it isn't a Stew, which is to say, life..."

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, Tanglewood said:

below.

As CRT says there are over 35000 boats on its waterways,  this leaves another 7000 unaccounted for in this answer,  probably as the owners haven't declared a width.

6 hours ago, aracer said:

The former:

Yes, I was intrigued when I saw that one in Birmingham, it must have the most restricted cruising area on the system. It can't get through Broad Street 'tunnel' or down Farmers locks, I shouldn't think it can get around the Oozells street loop because my guess is that Sheepcote bridge isn't wide enough (and even if it were they'd never get past the water taxi when it's moored), and it certainly wont fit through the old toll island beyond Winson Green Junction so your photo of it on the move must be a rarity. It could probably get through it's entire cruising area in under an hour, if they took it really slowly:rolleyes:.

On ‎07‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 19:04, croftie said:

Any Idea how this is to be applied? The release says

"In addition to length-based pricing, from April 2020 two additional pricing bands for boat widths over 2.16 to 3.24 and those over 3.24 will be introduced.

"

Just checked and according to CART my boat is 3.33  so app 4"  into the higher band. Time to get the angle grinder out!!!!

Just a follow up, been to the boat today (out of the water on hard standing)  and at the widest point I held a vertical (using spirit level) post down to the ground and drove a peg into the ground on both sides. Measured the distance between and it was 3.13m. So that is 0.2m  less that CART has my boat being and therefore within Band 2 not Band 3.

Will contact CART to see if they will amend their records from my findings, if not then I will get the guy who did my purchase survey to confirm the actual width.

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:07, croftie said:

Just a follow up, been to the boat today (out of the water on hard standing)  and at the widest point I held a vertical (using spirit level) post down to the ground and drove a peg into the ground on both sides. Measured the distance between and it was 3.13m. So that is 0.2m  less that CART has my boat being and therefore within Band 2 not Band 3.

Will contact CART to see if they will amend their records from my findings, if not then I will get the guy who did my purchase survey to confirm the actual width.

Well a result. :)

Emailed CART this afternoon saying more or less the above and within the hour they had changed the beam on their records to 3.13m. This means the boat is now in Band 2 saving 10% when the new pricing is fully implemented.

3 minutes ago, croftie said:

Well a result. :)

Emailed CART this afternoon saying more or less the above and within the hour they had changed the beam on their records to 3.13m. This means the boat is now in Band 2 saving 10% when the new pricing is fully implemented.

Well done - Result !!

Its not much use me re-measuring mine, I'd need to reduce my beam by 4 feet* on one boat and by 12 feet** on the other to get from Band C to band B

* Beam measure 14' 6"

** Beam measure 23 feet.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well done - Result !!

Its not much use me re-measuring mine, I'd need to reduce my beam by 4 feet* on one boat and by 12 feet** on the other to get from Band C to band B

* Beam measure 14' 6"

** Beam measure 23 feet.

No, just measure one hull on the cat... 

Certainly worth the trouble of stretching that tape measure tight.

My boat is registered at a similarly small dimension over the magic 10ft 7 3/4 in . How on earth was that decided as  sensible dimension ?

13 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

That funny foreign 'money'

It'll all change next year.

It's not even a sensible number in metric .  

I am sure there are no plans to move away from current methods of measurement whatever they may be .