2019-2020 Licence Fees Announced

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

C&RT Press Release

BOAT LICENCE FEES FOR 2019-20 

The Canal & River Trust is today confirming that headline private and business boat licence fees will be frozen for 2019 and will remain at current prices until 1 April 2020.  

As previously announced, following the national boat licence consultation, which concluded in March, several changes will be taking place over five years starting from 1 April 2019.   

The prompt payment discount will be retained but reduced to 5% from 1 April 2019.  This is the only change made to licence fees for 2019. 

From 2020, part of this discount (2.5%) will apply for those who manage their payments online (for example by credit/debit card or by direct debit).  This means that boaters who may not be able to afford to pay the licence fee in one lump sum will also be able to benefit from a discount. 

In addition to length-based pricing, from April 2020 two additional pricing bands for boat widths over  and those over will be introduced.  

Jon Horsfall, head of customer service support Income from boat licences accounted for around 10% of our annual income last year, and helps ensure that we can carry out the vast amount of work needed to keep the waterways available to boaters.     

ensure the financial contribution made by boaters towards the cost of looking after the waterways is spread fairly across the boating community.  We staggering the changes we announced in March over a five-year period so  no sudden impact on any boaters headline licence fees frozen for the next year which will help offset the reduction in the prompt payment discount from 10% to 5% for those who pay their full licence fee upfront. 

More information on boat licences is available here: https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-thewaterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/choosing-and-buying-your-licence  

-ends-  

Edited by Alan de Enfield

26 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

headline private and business boat licence fees will be frozen for 2019 and will remain at current prices until 1 April 2020.  

The prompt payment discount will be retained but reduced to 5% from 1 April 2019. 

So an increase for the majority of boaters who pay before the start of the licecnce and thus get the prompt payment discount.

• Greenie 1

3 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Clicking on the URL gives this message:

Oops!

The page you are looking for has either moved, no longer exists, or there is a typo in the url.

Missing "-" between "the" and "waterways"

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/enjoy-the-waterways/boating/buy-your-boat-licence/choosing-and-buying-your-licence

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

That's the wrong area / page.

The press release is in the 'media' section of the website.

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/media/original/39214-boat-licence-fees-2019-20.pdf?v=45d217

25 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Clicking on the URL gives this message:

Oops!

The page you are looking for has either moved, no longer exists, or there is a typo in the url.

Probably taken down while they correct this error:

"In addition to length-based pricing, from April 2020 two additional pricing bands for boat widths over  and those over will be introduced."

1 minute ago, Tuscan said:

An increase of 5% for the vast majority of boaters dressed up as headline no increase . 

Yep, nice idea - reduce the early payment discount and thus take more revenue from those who play the game and pay early. This whilst other companies are being challenged for shafting their loyal customers.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Certainly a play on words. Still worth the five per cent early payment discount. But when it disappears I'd rather the money be in my account than theirs.

Back to DD then?

This is what the government and banking system want us all today. The economy is geared to keep everyone in debt from the cradle to the grave. For years now we have paid every bill in one hit be it car tax, car/boat insurance, pet insurance, boat licence etc etc etc and nothing monthly such as the latest craze of people who now run about in new cars at x pounds each and every month for life. Just as a for instance last years dog insurance alone by paying in one hit for the year worked out £80 less over the year on the one item. Its a tough call sometimes but we only ever have one payment monthly out of our bank and thats for the phones.

• Greenie 1

I had a quick look at the VNF, French equivalent of CRT, and the 2018 licence for a 20m boat is €661.4, if my maths is correct, and no mention of beam. There is a 17% prompt payment discount, which makes boating in France even more tempting.

http://www.vnf.fr/vnf/img/cms/Transport_fluvialhidden/extraction_Tarif_plaisance_2018_UK_20171222162150.pdf

7 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

I had a quick look at the VNF, French equivalent of CRT, and the 2018 licence for a 20m boat is €661.4, if my maths is correct, and no mention of beam. There is a 17% prompt payment discount, which makes boating in France even more tempting.

http://www.vnf.fr/vnf/img/cms/Transport_fluvialhidden/extraction_Tarif_plaisance_2018_UK_20171222162150.pdf

Bet you can't use red diesel though. :D

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Phil. said:

Bet you can't use red diesel though. :D

...and you have to take a test before you can drive one on French waterways - though not if it's a hire boat. The French are very logical.

I have considered pénichette purchase; each time I mention it, Mrs. Athy says "NOOOOOOO!" I'm taking that as a maybe.

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

5% increase - could be worse .

Yup - its not a lot in the greater scheme of things and every little helps C&RT 'paint the office toilets'.

I remember a film - many, many years ago, where someone hacked into a bank computer and programmed it to send all the fractions of a 'cent' (which were rounded down anyway) into his bank account - he was getting 'millions' every day.

All these 5% 's will add up for C&RT

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yup - its not a lot in the greater scheme of things and every little helps C&RT 'paint the office toilets'.

I remember a film - many, many years ago, where someone hacked into a bank computer and programmed it to send all the fractions of a 'cent' (which were rounded down anyway) into his bank account - he was getting 'millions' every day.

All these 5% 's will add up for C&RT

I  would have expected an increase for inflation  plus the 5%.

BW are  being sensible by introducing this change in the way they have.

13 minutes ago, MartynG said:

5% increase - could be worse .

And it will be by the time all of your fat boat tax has been added as well in a couple of years time.

Luckily we miss it this time around as our licence is due for renewal in February. 

1 minute ago, MartynG said:

BW?

You are a bit behind the times lad!

8 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

And it will be by the time all of your fat boat tax has been added as well in a couple of years time.

Luckily we miss it this time around as our licence is due for renewal in February. 

BW?

You are a bit behind the times lad!

A bit tired .........

6 minutes ago, MartynG said:

But none of what is in what Ray has posted is new news.

All this announcement is doing is repeating exactly what was said when the result f the licence review was announced.

The licence review, (which is what has taken 5% away from the prompt payment discount), was billed as "revenue neutral".

So by not doing an inflation based increase, but losing 5% on the discount, it is only "revenue neutral" if inflation is deemed to be at 5%.  (OK I know the maths doesn't work entirely like that, but you get the gist).

They are not being generous here - they have more than covered inflation.