Electric Motors?

sniffy the great

Featured Posts

co-incidentally I am currently building a 20ft cruiser, marine ply epoxy grp sheathed, with MK 32lb motor with 300W solar and 440AH lead acids, designed for minimum wave-making and surface friction.

7 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

Also GRP Sheathed is a definite "beware of the rot" notice. That would be enough to make me look elsewhere however its powered.

GRP sheathing of a new plywood boat is state of the art for new home-build plywood construction. .....................  of course sheathing an old rotten timber boat is an entirely different issue. 

9 hours ago, sniffy the great said:

I’ve seen a quirky boat for sale which would be an interesting alternative to a GRP cruiser. Wooden construction with fibreglass “sheath” and powered by a Minn-Kota E-Drive electric motor. Anyone had experience or knowledge of such a combination. The boat is 20’ long.

sniffy

That Motor is a 300-500 Watt detachable Outboard motor  depending on Model.

4 hours ago, Graham Davis said:

Common motor on the small fishing boats they use on the Clwywedog Reservoir, powered by a 12v battery.
Wouldn't think they were suitable for long term cruising purposes.

does beg the question of how do you charge the battery that runs the motor (or indeed the battery that runs everything else)

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

does beg the question of how do you charge the battery that runs the motor (or indeed the battery that runs everything else)

Solar panels, shoreline or generator - all of which have their own downsides! Though I note that on the visitor mooring electric hookups here there is mention of an electric boat specific connection (not that any of them seem to be that - presumably they exist elsewhere?)