New Marina Likely To Get Planning Permission

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

(Cherry Willingham is just to the East of Lincoln on the River Witham)

Councillors in West Lindsey are expected to approve plans for a 220 berth marina, 155 homes and businesses in Cherry Willingham.

Marina-1.jpg?resize=900%2C505&ssl=1

https://thelincolnite.co.uk/2018/11/cherry-willingham-marina-with-155-homes-set-for-approval/

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

That's a surprise as I thought the idea had been dropped due to local objections.

i hope it is successful .

The planned huge marina at Woodhall Spa seems to have quietly gone away.

It seems more and more that the planners are using a 'marina' to support house building (and vice-versa) in the green-belt

Extract :

Now, Mr Sempers has said that the homes included in the proposal are the “only realistic enabler” for the site.

There were also plans for a new marina at Boston but that seems to have fallen by the wayside as well.

I can't really see a demand for these moorings but someone somewhere obviously does.

What concerns me more is that if they do manage to fill this marina then where are people going to moor when they go out for a cruise. There are already issues during the summer with the shortage of suitable visitors moorings. This is a river navigation so tying up to any random bankside, where possible, isn't permitted so you can only really moor on the visitor pontoons. 

Whilst it will be nice to see more boats out on the river, if they are going to encourage more boats then CRT really need to provide some proper visitors facilities for those extra boats.

On the plus side if we do get stuck the wrong side of Stamp End Lock during high flow rates, which we have done a few times now, then we will have somewhere safe to leave the boat for a week until we can pick it up again.

Slightly off topic but related..

A chap who drinks in my local has told me he’s secured a large plot of land near Cromwell lock and intends to build a new marina. He’s totally serious, has the financial backing (apparently he was involved in building Burton Waters), but amazingly didn’t even know it was tidal below the lock. He didn’t seem concerned when I told him and asked why it would affect his future business! His attitude is “Build it and they will come.”

7 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

He didn’t seem concerned when I told him and asked why it would affect his future business

Why would it ?

Don't forget, there are more boaters than sewer tubes on muddy ditches.

Over the years we have had berths in many tidal-restricted marinas - over the last couple of years, Hull and Torpoint, previously Conway and others.

And, whilst cruising, we have many times spent the night in such as Wells-Next-The-Sea, Douglas etc etc.

It is the norm for lumpy water boats.

I don't think the water levels at Cromwell are low enough such that the entrance would 'dry', but a simple lock is all that is needed if the changing water levels are perceived as a problem.

It was his obvious lack of knowledge of the area that amused me, I’m sure the technical issues as you say can be overcome quite easily. I’m not convinced a new marina above the lock wouldn’t be far busier though, there’s still boats that venture down to Cromwell sight seeing but wouldn’t dream of going through it!

The chap involved also told me he was looking for one of those “long boats” now that he lives near a canal as his cruiser is far too large to get up here. Obviously not heard the correct terminology of poo-tube yet.

16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Why would it ?

Don't forget, there are more boaters than sewer tubes on muddy ditches.

Over the years we have had berths in many tidal-restricted marinas - over the last couple of years, Hull and Torpoint, previously Conway and others.

And, whilst cruising, we have many times spent the night in such as Wells-Next-The-Sea, Douglas etc etc.

It is the norm for lumpy water boats.

I see the lifeboat has been out again yesterday 

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I see the lifeboat has been out again yesterday 

Yes - it was our local 'East' news - it was one of the shell-fish boats out of Wells that sank - the lifeboat and CG helicopter was guided in by a Belgium Military helicopter who was in the area on exercises and 'saw' them. I don't understand why the Wind-Farm cat (first on the scene) didn't assist.

A Belgian military helicopter, which was training in the area at the time, spotted the pair in the water and dropped a liferaft to them which they then clung on to. The Belgians then guided the RNLI into the exact location of the fishermen.

Mr Rainsford said: “Wells all-weather lifeboat, Doris M Mann, launched a few minutes later and raced to her rescue along with other vessels in the vicinity, including two high speed wind farm vessels.

“The fishing boat, which is out of Wells, gave her position as being approximately six miles north-north-west of Wells and said two of her crew were in the water. The wind farm vessel Seacat Magic was the first vessel on scene, at about 2.55pm.

“The men could not be seen at first, but after a search they were located. The lifeboat arrived at 3.04pm and recovered two casualties from the water.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Yes - it was our local 'East' news - it was one of the shell-fish boats out of Wells that sank - the lifeboat and CG helicopter was guided in by a Belgium Military helicopter who was in the area on exercises and 'saw' them. I don't understand why the Wind-Farm cat (first on the scene) didn't assist.

A Belgian military helicopter, which was training in the area at the time, spotted the pair in the water and dropped a liferaft to them which they then clung on to. The Belgians then guided the RNLI into the exact location of the fishermen.

Mr Rainsford said: “Wells all-weather lifeboat, Doris M Mann, launched a few minutes later and raced to her rescue along with other vessels in the vicinity, including two high speed wind farm vessels.

“The fishing boat, which is out of Wells, gave her position as being approximately six miles north-north-west of Wells and said two of her crew were in the water. The wind farm vessel Seacat Magic was the first vessel on scene, at about 2.55pm.

“The men could not be seen at first, but after a search they were located. The lifeboat arrived at 3.04pm and recovered two casualties from the water.

UK Coastguard requested the immediate launch of the all-weather lifeboat to a Mayday for fishing vessel Lainey, sinking with two crew on-board approximately 6 miles north-north-west of Wells. The ALB launched at 14.30 and proceeded to the casualty position. A Belgian military helicopter, already in the area, was first on scene and dropped a liferaft into the water and then held position above the casualties to assist location.

Windfarm vessel Seacat Magic arrived at 14.57 and stood by until the Wells Lifeboat arrived two minutes later. The Lainey having sunk, the two casualties, wearing lifejackets and holding on to life-rings, had been in the water for over 20 minutes. They were quickly recovered onto the lifeboat and given first aid. Rescue Helicopter 912 from Humberside arrived on scene and, at 15.06, winched the two casualties up from the lifeboat for transfer to Norwich and Norfolk hospital. Both men were later able to return home.

The lifeboat returned to station at 15.50 and was re-housed, re-fuelled and ready for service at 18.00.

Weather Fair Visibility Good Wind SE3 Sea Moderate

Edited by rusty69
From http://www.wellslifeboat.org/

1 hour ago, noddyboater said:

Slightly off topic but related..

A chap who drinks in my local has told me he’s secured a large plot of land near Cromwell lock and intends to build a new marina. He’s totally serious, has the financial backing (apparently he was involved in building Burton Waters), but amazingly didn’t even know it was tidal below the lock. He didn’t seem concerned when I told him and asked why it would affect his future business! His attitude is “Build it and they will come.”

Now that would be a location that would interest us if the marina itself was right.

36 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Now that would be a location that would interest us if the marina itself was right.

Watch that space then! He was talking about it being built very much like Burton Waters, didn’t mention housing though. I’m sceptical about the project to be honest, it’s nearly 2 years since he told me and last time I checked nothing has been submitted for planning etc. He didn’t seem sure where exactly the land was, I’m wondering if it’s the old gravel wharf. 

Wouldn't it have been desirable for the Lincolnite to have taken a photo of the map which included the whole marina, and then made sure it didn't get cropped in the wrong place, as readers might wish to see its connection to the river? Potential moorers and other interested parties might well think that was an important feature. Somehow I can't see the photographer or editor responsible having a great future in journalism; how are they going to get a good photo when they report on something that's moving?

I thought Lincolnshire was one of the cheapest areas in England for housing? But I've never visited the county in my life, and I suppose there's some need for new housing everywhere.

2 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Wouldn't it have been desirable for the Lincolnite to have taken a photo of the map which included the whole marina, and then made sure it didn't get cropped in the wrong place, as readers might wish to see its connection to the river? Potential moorers and other interested parties might well think that was an important feature. Somehow I can't see the photographer or editor responsible having a great future in journalism; how are they going to get a good photo when they report on something that's moving?

I thought Lincolnshire was one of the cheapest areas in England for housing? But I've never visited the county in my life, and I suppose there's some need for new housing everywhere.

Lincolnshire is cheap to buy housing when compared with other areas  but that does not mean that it has enough housing. New housing is needed across the country. 

The entrance to the marina will be through the flood bank on the Witham. My guess would be that it will have flood gates and a bridge across similar to the entrance at Burton Waters. 

7 minutes ago, Peter X said:

I've never visited the county in my life, and I suppose there's some need for new housing everywhere.

Yes there is.

Even in Lincolnshire people live in houses 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Not exactly hot news then.

There are lots of gravel pits in that locality. 

My apologies for not starting a new topic “Quite old but still relevant marina news”

I posted it as I thought it might be of interest to local boaters who know the area, and it was to at least one.

6 minutes ago, noddyboater said:

My apologies for not starting a new topic “Quite old but still relevant marina news”

I posted it as I thought it might be of interest to local boaters who know the area, and it was to at least one.

Indeed it was interesting news and I thank you for bringing it to my attention.

I will certainly be looking for further information.

And whilst at it will try and find out what is happening with the proposed marina at Gainsborough.