Flickr Free Account users - A warning

Featured Posts

For peeps who use Flickr for photo storage and linking

Flickr are drastically reducing the amount of photo storage on their free accounts from 1TB down to 1000 photos. From January you will not be able to upload photos if you have 1000 photos stored and from February all but your newest 1000 photos will be deleted.

To avoid this you will need to upgrade to their (Paid for) Pro account

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0022573882/flickr-makes-changes-to-free-paid-accounts-with-new-login-revamped-storage

19 minutes ago, Tim Lewis said:

For peeps who use Flickr for photo storage and linking

Flickr are drastically reducing the amount of photo storage on their free accounts from 1TB down to 1000 photos. From January you will not be able to upload photos if you have 1000 photos stored and from February all but your newest 1000 photos will be deleted.

To avoid this you will need to upgrade to their (Paid for) Pro account

https://www.dpreview.com/news/0022573882/flickr-makes-changes-to-free-paid-accounts-with-new-login-revamped-storage

Similar to Photobucket.

There is no such thing as a free meal these days.

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Similar to Photobucket.

There is no such thing as a free meal these days.

Indeed. But unlike Photobucket $49.99 per year is a lot easier to stomach than the amount Photobucket wanted to charge which was something like that a month!

31 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

There never was - it just took a while for the money-making phase to kick in.

Think Google, Facebook ...

Its not quite that simple. Originally Flickr was a photographers site for sharing and discussing photos. The Evil Yahoo purchased it and tried to turn it into a big social media site. They gave free storage and got a lot of users but the money making plan was from selling users detail to advertisers etc. Yahoo upset most of its photographer users. Its now sold again the latest owners want to turn it back into a photographers site getting money from honest subscriptions rather than selling users data.

...............Dave

The best example of bait n switch I can think of in recent years has been google maps

the whole system was free to use (unless you were generating millions of uses) and worked well, as a result google maps were used all over the place and it became normal to expect google maps to be used and the consumer got used to seeing them and interacting with them.

After over a decade of being free they dropped the limits for free usage, on my account it used to be 5 million views per month, it's now 50,000 requests (note that a single view may generate several requests), for a lot of people the first thing they knew about this change was a bill arriving from google (for several thousand pounds in some cases)

4 minutes ago, Jess-- said:

The best example of bait n switch I can think of in recent years has been google maps

the whole system was free to use (unless you were generating millions of uses) and worked well, as a result google maps were used all over the place and it became normal to expect google maps to be used and the consumer got used to seeing them and interacting with them.

After over a decade of being free they dropped the limits for free usage, on my account it used to be 5 million views per month, it's now 50,000 requests (note that a single view may generate several requests), for a lot of people the first thing they knew about this change was a bill arriving from google (for several thousand pounds in some cases)

Do you mean putting google maps on your website ? 

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

I pay 20 squid a year for my subscription to Ordnance Survey. The whole country at 1:25000 scale and you can actually read the maps.

22 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I pay 20 squid a year for my subscription to Ordnance Survey. The whole country at 1:25000 scale and you can actually read the maps.

My GPS has the full GB at 1:50k, 1;25k and 1:10k (street level, pub names etc) all on two SD cards.

Once purchased no annual fees.

C4.jpg

A2.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My GPS has the full GB at 1:50k, 1;25k and 1:10k (street level, pub names etc) all on two SD cards.

Once purchased no annual fees.

C4.jpg

A2.jpg

Looking at that Met Office Amber weather warning Alan, I would stay indoors for a while.

• Greenie 1