Semi blocked fire flue.

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Chimney height? Mine's fairly short and double skinned, so presumably any crud runs down back to the stove. 

Very standard looking 25 year old installation. 

Straight uninsulated steel flue about 5ft from top of stove to inside of roof collar.

46 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is all most curious.

For years I have burned damp smokeless fuel in firstly my Squirrel than my Boatman with none of the effects described. 

I lightly brush my flue once every few years (whether it needs it or not) and and today it is as clear as the day it was installed.

You probably whack it up to high  heat regulaly which would keep the flue pipe reasonably clean. I don't like it hot and my grate is reduced with bricks by about half and it ticks over like that for most of the time, so the flue and stove don't get terribly hot. If you bung wet coal on a roaring hot fire the moisture would become superheated almost instantly and disperse before it had much time to mix with the exhaust smoke and clog up the flue.  I believe Morso recomend opening the stove up to very hot regularly for this reason.   A bit the same as engines really, ticking over on no load or engines that are far too big for a leisure narrowboat, never under enough load and tend to soot and clog up the valves, exhaust ect which a good high speed burst can cure, for a while.

Edited by bizzard

8 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

This is all most curious. 

For years I have burned damp smokeless fuel in firstly my Squirrel than my Boatman with none of the effects described. 

I lightly brush my flue once every few years (whether it needs it or not) and and today it is as clear as the day it was installed.

Same here (but mine, not yours) 

Edited by rusty69
Same, not sane. I'm as sane as the next boat dweller

21 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

The two bolts securing the roof collar to the roof are not accessable from inside without taking down the tongue and grove deckhead (ceiling). A job with is undesirable. 1991 built boat. (It just won't go back the same. Well not if I'm doing it.)

David Johns from Cruising the cut did a video about this roof collar, he cut the ceiling panels from inside to access the nuts only to find they were welded to the roof, so undone from outside as normal, could be worth a look, you may not need to touch the ceiling panels.

ETA,His video in number 119 in the series.

Edited by Mike Hurley

57 minutes ago, Mike Hurley said:

David Johns from Cruising the cut did a video about this roof collar, he cut the ceiling panels from inside to access the nuts only to find they were welded to the roof, so undone from outside as normal, could be worth a look, you may not need to touch the ceiling panels.

ETA,His video in number 119 in the series.

Except there is no need for the OP to disturb the flue collar in the first place, for the intended task. 

32 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Except there is no need for the OP to disturb the flue collar in the first place, for the intended task. 

Correct. From my first plea, I have learnt that the flue should fly out of the collar, eventually!! Excellent news. Thank you all, for now, watch this space!!

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Has anyone used these Stovax Protector Flue & Chimney Cleaner Box of 15 Sachets

I considered this product, but came to the conclusion that if the residue is already hard it won't touch it. Like many things prevention is the key! This product will work well to prevent a build up. Having said that I don't know.

I use the earlier, tablet form of Russboy Stove cleaner in my diesel drip stove. Seems to keep the flue clear, and covers the roof in little black bits when I use them ?

However diesel doesn't seem to produce the solid clag that blocks the flue that multifuel stoves do.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/productimages.aspx?n=AC-167&width=600&height=600&imageId=19241

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

18 minutes ago, cuthound said:

I use the earlier, tablet form of Russboy Stover cleaner in my diesel drip stove. Seems to keep the flue clear, and covers the roof in little black bits when I use them ?

However diesel doesn't seem to produce the solid clag thst blocks the flue that multihull stoves do.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/store/productimages.aspx?n=AC-167&width=600&height=600&imageId=19241

Are multihull stoves only allowed on such as catamarans? ?

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Bluddy spillchucker, and I was editing it as you wrote ?

I knew you would be typing franticaly so I stuck the knife in ?

The man who invented autocorrect has just died. May he roast in piss.

Edited by mrsmelly
  • Haha 2

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I knew you would be typing franticaly so I stuck the knife in ?

The man who invented autocorrect has just died. May he roast in piss.

I believe they trialled an early version of spillchucker with the Officer Crabtree character in 'Allo 'Allo ?

On 05/11/2018 at 17:03, bizzard said:

House coal and anthracite are pretty dense and won't absorb much moisture, if any.  Its the smokeless ovoids, they're pretty porous like a sponge and soak it up. The moisture mixes with the binding agent and causes the cement like clag.

And you're paying around 40p/Kg for water which doesn't even burn.