Caravan parks first...marinas next??

frangar

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Gareth E said:

I'm not saying it would be undesirable, just entertaining the notion! There's much talk at the moment of the elderly being 'protected' from often declining living standards. There are universal benefits such as free public transport, free prescriptions etc. and the so called triple lock on pensions. If you remove the need for pensioners to pay council tax and instead pay tax on probably mostly modest incomes they will more often than not save money. It would be for society to decide whether a further shift in the burden in cost from the elderly to younger working people is desirable, or not.

The current state pension is well below what is recognised as the amount to have a reasonable standard of life (the real living wage?).  OK there are a good number with other pensions but there are many without.  The government could improve the conditions for those on the least money by such measures as not taxing them or relieving them of rates (assuming that everyone in the house was on the low level of income.

I would suggest that for many pensioners who have only the state pension any decline in living standards would be very serious.

15 hours ago, Tacet said:

These are laudable services.  But the Council tax is a tax on the occupation of property - and not a mechanism to pay-as-you-go services consumed.  You are in essence, only obliged to pay if you occupy (as defined) property.  If you don't occupy property - you are not subject to the tax.

I would argue that council tax is a tax ON property and the occupation of that property.

When I had properties in manchester they were charged for as follows...

Empty & unfurnished = Full council tax

Empty & furnished = half council tax
Occupied by one adult = half council tax
Occupied by more than one adult (same household) = full council tax
Occupied by more than one adult (different household / HMO) = full council tax + 25% per extra household (we had one property that was liable for 200% council tax at times)

Just now, Jerra said:

The current state pension is well below what is recognised as the amount to have a reasonable standard of life (the real living wage?).  OK there are a good number with other pensions but there are many without.  The government could improve the conditions for those on the least money by such measures as not taxing them or relieving them of rates (assuming that everyone in the house was on the low level of income.

I would suggest that for many pensioners who have only the state pension any decline in living standards would be very serious.

OK but let's not forget that a shift from council tax to funding local services via paye and self assessment would benefit less well off pensioners, not impoverish them.

On ‎05‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 15:50, Naughty Cal said:

We don't have to provide any proof of residency just an address where our mooring agreements can be sent too. 

It is of course up to the individual what address this is and whether or not they are on the electoral register at that address or not.

What counts as other acceptable evidence?

Apparently on a case-by-case basis.

Leisure Mooring  

This product is for customers wishing to maximise their leisure time allowing unlimited leisure use within the marina throughout the mooring contract, utilising their boat summer and winter is an expectation. It is not permitted to stay on the vessel for more than 28 consecutive days whilst the vessel is moored in the marina in any one contract period. BWML may from time to time request proof of residency away from the marina.  

Service provision provided with a Leisure Mooring will be:- 

Maximum 16 amp electricity supply (chargeable).   

Water points close by and usable all year round subject to underground freezing caused by severe weather conditions, with the exception Sawley Marina where water will be disconnected during months of November – March to alleviate freezing and burst pipework.  

Parking subject to availability (extra charge could apply at certain locations).  

BWML offer hard standing within this service provision subject to marina facilities, the number of weeks included are set locally please contact your marina office for details. Lifting fees and cradle fees applicable and subject to Marina location.  

Free use of marina customer toilets, showers and elsan facilities.  Laundrette and pump out facilities are chargeable where available. 

BWML/BritMarine Chandlery 10% discount on orders, terms and conditions apply, (check with Sawley Marina at retail@bwml.co.uk - discount arranged prior to order), delivery charges applicable. 

Emergency call provision (Free phone Canals 0800 47999 47). 

Ombudsman Complaints Procedure. 

Domestic waste removal from site.  You will be required to remove furniture, carpets, white goods, electrical equipment etc. at your own cost. 

Full Residential  

Only available at marinas where BWML have gained residential planning approval.  Council Tax is payable at either a composite or individual rate (please contact the Marina Manager for more information regarding Council Tax). Minimum contract period is 12 months, customers requiring longer security should discuss this with their Local Marina Management Team who will advise of the Berthing Lease requirements.  

Service provision provided with a Residential Mooring in addition to those provided with a Leisure Mooring will be:- 

Minimum 16 amp electrical supply, maximum 32 amp (chargeable).   

Winterised water mains (subject to underground freezing caused by severe weather conditions).  

Guaranteed car parking space – with the exception of Limehouse & Poplar Marinas (extra charge could apply at certain locations).  

Storage box provided (subject to land availability).  

Allocation of a registered postal address.  

Free use of marina customer toilets, showers and elsan facilities.  

Additional services / facilities such as Pump Out and Laundrette are offered as inclusive elements which are subject to BWML Fair Use Policy. 

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently on a case-by-case basis.

Leisure Mooring  

This product is for customers wishing to maximise their leisure time allowing unlimited leisure use within the marina throughout the mooring contract, utilising their boat summer and winter is an expectation. It is not permitted to stay on the vessel for more than 28 consecutive days whilst the vessel is moored in the marina in any one contract period. BWML may from time to time request proof of residency away from the marina.  

Service provision provided with a Leisure Mooring will be:- 

Maximum 16 amp electricity supply (chargeable).   

Water points close by and usable all year round subject to underground freezing caused by severe weather conditions, with the exception Sawley Marina where water will be disconnected during months of November – March to alleviate freezing and burst pipework.  

Parking subject to availability (extra charge could apply at certain locations).  

BWML offer hard standing within this service provision subject to marina facilities, the number of weeks included are set locally please contact your marina office for details. Lifting fees and cradle fees applicable and subject to Marina location.  

Free use of marina customer toilets, showers and elsan facilities.  Laundrette and pump out facilities are chargeable where available. 

BWML/BritMarine Chandlery 10% discount on orders, terms and conditions apply, (check with Sawley Marina at retail@bwml.co.uk - discount arranged prior to order), delivery charges applicable. 

Emergency call provision (Free phone Canals 0800 47999 47). 

Ombudsman Complaints Procedure. 

Domestic waste removal from site.  You will be required to remove furniture, carpets, white goods, electrical equipment etc. at your own cost. 

Full Residential  

Only available at marinas where BWML have gained residential planning approval.  Council Tax is payable at either a composite or individual rate (please contact the Marina Manager for more information regarding Council Tax). Minimum contract period is 12 months, customers requiring longer security should discuss this with their Local Marina Management Team who will advise of the Berthing Lease requirements.  

Service provision provided with a Residential Mooring in addition to those provided with a Leisure Mooring will be:- 

Minimum 16 amp electrical supply, maximum 32 amp (chargeable).   

Winterised water mains (subject to underground freezing caused by severe weather conditions).  

Guaranteed car parking space – with the exception of Limehouse & Poplar Marinas (extra charge could apply at certain locations).  

Storage box provided (subject to land availability).  

Allocation of a registered postal address.  

Free use of marina customer toilets, showers and elsan facilities.  

Additional services / facilities such as Pump Out and Laundrette are offered as inclusive elements which are subject to BWML Fair Use Policy. 

So with those terms and conditions provided the boat moves out of the marina occasionally and doesn't spend more than 28 consecutive days on the mooring, there would be nothing stopping someone staying on their boat on a leisure mooring?

20 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

£112.00 goes towards education 

£104.67 to Roads 

£61.80 to buses to 

£214.77 to Looked after Children 

£451.12 to Looked after vulnerable adults 

£61.51 towards preventing homelessness 

£99.97 to Museums and Art Galleries 

£109.95to bin collections and recycling 

£25.40 to street cleaning/flood defence 

£29.80 to Trading Standards and Food Safety 

£50.65 to Planning 

£98.65 Coroners Courts  Registrars and other admin 

£47.27  to Long term investment

This is rather misleading since it only apportions the Council Tax - not local spending overall.     Reasonably obviously, the Coroner's Court service does not cost much the same as the education system (even allowing for centralised funding) or bin collection or roads.

A significant proportion of local services is funded by central government/taxation.  So it is inconsistent to get all upset because someone else is not paying one particular tax (Council tax) unless you are offering to pay each and every other tax voluntarily if not otherwise obliged.  And there are a lot of taxes........

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Jess-- said:

I would argue that council tax is a tax ON property and the occupation of that property.

When I had properties in manchester they were charged for as follows...

Empty & unfurnished = Full council tax

Empty & furnished = half council tax
Occupied by one adult = half council tax
Occupied by more than one adult (same household) = full council tax
Occupied by more than one adult (different household / HMO) = full council tax + 25% per extra household (we had one property that was liable for 200% council tax at times)

The principle has been messed about so as to obscure its logic and origins.  It used to be a tax on the occupation of property - but then became a tax on the right to occupy property.  There are now numerous exceptions and additions - but these mainly relate to the sum levied rather than the principle..

But it still remains there is no liability for Council tax other than in respect of domestic property.  It should really be called domestic property tax - but it sounds more reasonable to call it Council Tax.  For many years the amount paid was (with very few exceptions) a direct function of the annual value.   Now the tax relates partly to capital value banding (which has some limited correlation to annual value) and 101 other factors - including number of occupants and how many are students etc etc. which means it is rather easy to lose sight of it being a domestic property tax.  But it still remaisn that to get started, you have to have a domestic property within the Council Tax list.

40 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

So with those terms and conditions provided the boat moves out of the marina occasionally and doesn't spend more than 28 consecutive days on the mooring, there would be nothing stopping someone staying on their boat on a leisure mooring?

And at Kings, that is what 'many' do, just come out of the marina 'once a month' and go onto the mooring at the Kiln overnight and back into the marina next day, repeat 28 days later.

Keep a Log, & Robert is your Mother's brother.

Edit to add - the boat can spend 365 days per year on its mooring - it is the occupants that can only spend 28 consecutive days on board. (Some will go and spend the night on their neighbours boat [allegedly])

Edited by Alan de Enfield

1 hour ago, Tacet said:

This is rather misleading since it only apportions the Council Tax - not local spending overall.     Reasonably obviously, the Coroner's Court service does not cost much the same as the education system (even allowing for centralised funding) or bin collection or roads.

Of course, but, as a for instance, Buckinghamshire and Dorset will be the first Counties to lose all their Government grant in 2018/19.  The immediate effect of this in Buckinghamshire will be the loss of  35 Children's Centres.   

Just now, Tanglewood said:

Of course, but, as a for instance, Buckinghamshire and Dorset will be the first Counties to lose all their Government grant in 2018/19.  The immediate effect of this in Buckinghamshire will be the loss of  35 Children's Centres.   

Forgive me, I know we have schools and all that, but what's a children's centre? Isn't it the job of parents to look after children when they aren't at school or has the government now taken on this role?

1 hour ago, Gareth E said:

Forgive me, I know we have schools and all that, but what's a children's centre? Isn't it the job of parents to look after children when they aren't at school or has the government now taken on this role?

It is beginning to with nursery education, breakfast clubs etc.

3 minutes ago, Gareth E said:

Is this part of the however many hours it is free childcare that the government announced a year or two back, or is this yet another state intervention into family life? 

As far as I am aware that is used for nursery care (30 hrs per week for children 3 -4 years old), the breakfast clubs and after school clubs seem to be organised by individual schools.  As they started after I retired I am not aware of any attached costs.

I think the general thrust of the "clubs" is to provide a safe warm supervised place for children while parents are at work.

When child allowance and child tax credits are totted up, added to all these clubs etc. etc. It seems that the cost of having children is being born by everyone but the parents themselves. Small wonder maybe why having children is such an easy decision these days and perhaps, why we have so many social problems.

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Gareth E said:

The government has always supported young children.  However over time the way the support is offered varies - for instance Family Allowance or child benefit used to be a universal benefit, but no more.  Children's Centres were a universal benefit, in that the services they offered could be accessed by anyone through self-referral.  The aim was to improve the life chances of young, particularly in areas with high levels of socio-economic deprivation.  

Yes, it is the parents job to look after young children, but if you are young child in family where you do not get a decent start, you will arrive at school without the skills (social or otherwise) to benefit - you don't learn as quickly as others and success  seems to be something for others.  Somehow you get through and before you know where you are you are an immature parent without any of the emotional resources to  parent your own child.  It was this circle of deprivation that Governments have tried to break into.  Did they work?  Too soon to say. Are they being replaced by something else? Probably not.  What funds are left will be targeted and those with the greatest needs.  And without Children's Centres who will know who those families are?

Still the buildings will probably get sold off.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And at Kings, that is what 'many' do, just come out of the marina 'once a month' and go onto the mooring at the Kiln overnight and back into the marina next day, repeat 28 days later.

Keep a Log, & Robert is your Mother's brother.

Edit to add - the boat can spend 365 days per year on its mooring - it is the occupants that can only spend 28 consecutive days on board. (Some will go and spend the night on their neighbours boat [allegedly])

Interesting - I wasn't quite sure what other people were doing. As I wrote at the start I'm complying with the terms of my leisure mooring - mostly by taking the boat out of the marina, but sometimes away camping or staying at friend's. All what I'm choosing to do, not in order to "cheat" the system (I've spent a few nights out of the marina just up the cut because that's what I wanted to do). Should I be keeping a log?

1 hour ago, canalworld said:

Interesting - I wasn't quite sure what other people were doing. As I wrote at the start I'm complying with the terms of my leisure mooring - mostly by taking the boat out of the marina, but sometimes away camping or staying at friend's. All what I'm choosing to do, not in order to "cheat" the system (I've spent a few nights out of the marina just up the cut because that's what I wanted to do). Should I be keeping a log?

It depends on your marina. Ours have CCTV cameras fixed on the site entrance so that they can monitor boat movements.

They will have a right laugh when they look back at tonight's footage and see us having several attempts at getting out of the flood gates. Most times being blown sideways past them and towards the fuel berth!

1 minute ago, Naughty Cal said:

It depends on your marina. Ours have CCTV cameras fixed on the site entrance so that they can monitor boat movements.

They will have a right laugh when they look back at tonight's footage and see us having several attempts at getting out of the flood gates. Most times being blown sideways past them and towards the fuel berth!

You two are nutters going out in this weather!:) Tomorrow looks better though.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

You two are nutters going out in this weather!:) Tomorrow looks better though.

We were questioning our sanity after the first failed attempt but getting back on our mooring wasn't a favourable option!

Wasn't too bad once we were out on the ditch.

Tucked up safely in Saxilby now.

20181109_195022.jpg