tank cutter

haza

Featured Posts

Just now, Mike the Boilerman said:

Serves you right for buying the cheapest one in the shop!

Erbauer is the Trabant of the cutting tool world.

True. I only wanted it for two holes for the squirrel backboiler. It barely made it through the second one before it went in the bin. 

2 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I know of worse than that

553983870.jpg?v=10.08

Shirley thats for wooden type metal 

Eta. Oops assumed ops mister was drilling hole in steel for new skin fitting.... My bad, as they say. 

Edited by rusty69

New Starrett hole saw, oil, slowly, with constant pressure is the way.

Cast iron cuts well but you must keep it cutting from the word go, once you polish the bottom of the hole it stops cutting. I drill a small hole on the cutting circle first, gives it a fresh edge to pick up on.

• Greenie 2

Starrett hole saws are best . (not the cheapest )

If you are drilling cast iron do not use cutting compound or oil, it's best drilled without and at slow speed, the cutting compound /oil just turns the cast iron swarf into a paste which blunts the cutter in no time at all.

• Greenie 1

A series of small interconnecting holes drilled inside the circumference required and a very good half round file, lots of time and energy saves buying a hole cutter. Either a cheap or expensive one. It also helps with a diet if your on one. Lots of calories burnt.?

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Can you even buy a file without a handle these days?

Yup, easily although I'm talking round and flat files for chainsaw sharpening 

21 minutes ago, WotEver said:

And lots of holes in the palm of your hand from the tang because you couldn’t be bothered to go find a handle...

I thought that was just me, I also used to have fingers covered in small scars from chainsaw sharpening because I always forget my gloves ;)

• Greenie 1

Just now, tree monkey said:

Yup, easily although I'm talking round and flat files for chainsaw sharpening 

I thought that was just me, I also used to have fingers covered in small scars from chainsaw sharpening because I always forget my gloves ;)

Just so long as you haven't got large scars all over your legs from when you forgot your ballistic trousers!