my boat chugging with it's single cylinder..

casper ghost

Featured Posts

Ok, so it's not very fast, but it does get there.. to get around the governed max rm of 1000, I have fitted a separate wire throttle off the top of the governor arm which allows more revs when needed, (got the idea from a friend's Kelvin J2 which had one fitted) only really for getting loose when aground or stopping, though it did achieve 4mph with about 1200 rpm along the moss straight.. Going to fit a slightly bigger prop too and then i'll leave it as it is.. My friend has a fully recon HR2 he's trying to sell me, which will fit the engine hole, but that would be quick and wouldn't sound as nice.. I get a lot of comments from passers by, one chap was telling his wife about the steam coming out the chimney, lol, another asked if it was a standard diesel engine? and one chap asked if it was a bolinder...!! I wish...

Casp'

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Lovely vids Casp.

Sound reminds me of the Skandia I used to have in Reg. I see there is a JP1 on ebay at the moment...

That JP1 is a lot, I paid £30 for my Ruston, sort of.. I looked at getting a jp1, not much between them really, same diameter piston too. 

Casp'

1 minute ago, casper ghost said:

That JP1 is a lot, I paid £30 for my Ruston, sort of.. I looked at getting a jp1, not much between them really, same diameter piston too. 

Casp'

Several JP1 have turned up on ebay over the last few years. All of them a shade over £1k...

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Several JP1 have turned up on ebay over the last few years. All of them a shade over £1k...

Odd that the Ruston seems so cheap in comparison. I have a spare, fully working, Ruston in the shed too. I hope to fully rebuild it and then swap it for the one in the boat, if I ever get around to it..

Casp'

43 minutes ago, casper ghost said:

Odd that the Ruston seems so cheap in comparison. I have a spare, fully working, Ruston in the shed too. I hope to fully rebuild it and then swap it for the one in the boat, if I ever get around to it..

Casp'

Rustons always seemed a lot cheaper than other vintage lumps. Never been sure why as they are lovely engines, although they very rarely turn up for sale these days. A 2VSH is about the best engine they ever made for a narrowboat in my personal opinion. The 2VTH is the same but smaller capacity, much more common and less valuable but still a lovely lump. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Rustons always seemed a lot cheaper than other vintage lumps. Never been sure why as they are lovely engines, although they very rarely turn up for sale these days. A 2VSH is about the best engine they ever made for a narrowboat in my personal opinion. The 2VTH is the same but smaller capacity, much more common and less valuable but still a lovely lump. 

My 2vth died... a 2vsh would be a bit big for the engine hole, and I had decided to go back to single cylinders, so the 1VSH seemed the biggest manageable engine. Parts are hard to get, but I have a spare engine.. I have a Dorman 2dsm in the garage that is fully marine and all working, also an Armstrong Siddeley AS1 in the shed.. The Dorman is physically too big for my boat, one day i'll sell it or build a shell for it..

4 minutes ago, Halsey said:

"Luverly"☺️ - thanks for posting - that guy who wanted to put a Beta in an icebreaker should listen to this 

Yes. And more specifically, he should buy that JP1 on eBay. That would be a great engine for Erebus!

Thanks MtB for your valuable endorsement of my engine choice.   The 2 VTH in Sui Generis is coupled to a hydraulic BRB engineering marine gearbox and at only 100 cu in. capacity is working just sufficiently hard to keep from glazing cylinders and runs virtually without any exhaust smoke.  And of course its pretty light and a beautiful bit of Great British engineering too.

Just love it.

Well done Casp. for sticking with a Ruston!!

Cheers. Mick

20180508_173758.jpg.bd8c2893ff4a7bc2f4c640070aff5ad2.jpg

20180508_173617.jpg

20180508_174159.jpg

• Love 2