Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
pearley

Adding a Cleat/Bollard to the gunwhales

Featured Posts

4 hours ago, Robbo said:

If black rose  is handy with metal work I would be tempted to DIY the roller thingy and extend it with the hinges stop thingy..

 

 

CA50BE55-0B53-4420-BCD8-75B87E4A1EF0.jpeg

 

Or something like this method...

 

Bar-Type-Chain-Cable-Stoppers.jpg

 

I made the bow roller myself but I'm not sure if I could make one of those. Well maybe, but it wouldn't look as nice as that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

At risk of bringing this thread back on topic, I saw this yesterday, which I thought worked well.

 

IMG_20181110_125803071.jpg

Pretty good, I'll grant ye, but not such an easy post-build addition for the OP (or potentially me if the right solution comes up)!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Pretty good, I'll grant ye, but not such an easy post-build addition for the OP (or potentially me if the right solution comes up)!

I do agree it would involve moving gas pipes/water pipes/wires for me, but I would certainly consider it for my next boat.

 

It's one of those elegant solutions that I wish I had thought of first!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

At risk of bringing this thread back on topic, I saw this yesterday, which I thought worked well.

 

IMG_20181110_125803071.jpg

 

I have 3 of those per side on my Alexander shell.

 

As i use fenders on moveable handrail brackets i have never used them.

 

Will try running a spring from them, once I get some soft shackles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Will try running a spring from them, once I get some soft shackles.

What would a soft-shackle give you that just running your mooring line thru' the 'bar' will not ?

 

In similar applications* I have used a carabiner with a short length of Garden Hose slid around it. Worked for me.

 

* The one that 'springs' to mind was on an old boat with circular roof rails, simply clip the carabiner over for a short term mooring line.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What would a soft-shackle give you that just running your mooring line thru' the 'bar' will not ?

 

In similar applications* I have used a carabiner with a short length of Garden Hose slid around it. Worked for me.

 

* The one that 'springs' to mind was on an old boat with circular roof rails, simply clip the carabiner over for a short term mooring line.

 

Thanks for the tips Alan, I just assumed (I know I'm an ass) that I would need a soft shackles, but the carabiner idea could be adapted to good effect.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

What would a soft-shackle give you that just running your mooring line thru' the 'bar' will not ?

Quicker connection/disconnection, instead of running all the rope through the loop.

Edited by Robbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Robbo said:

Quicker connection/disconnection, instead of running all the rope through the loop.

True, but it is another 'bit' to fit to the boat and 'fit' onto your mooring line, and another 'bit' to get lost / forgotten when moored.

At least with a carabiner it can stay permanently attached (via an eye-spice) onto the mooring line.

Snap over the 'bar', tie off onto a bollard / spike etc. and job done.

 

Soft shackles are great in their 'place' (I use them on the sailing boat), but I think their are better alternatives for the application we are talking about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

True, but it is another 'bit' to fit to the boat and 'fit' onto your mooring line, and another 'bit' to get lost / forgotten when moored.

At least with a carabiner it can stay permanently attached (via an eye-spice) onto the mooring line.

Snap over the 'bar', tie off onto a bollard / spike etc. and job done.

 

Soft shackles are great in their 'place' (I use them on the sailing boat), but I think their are better alternatives for the application we are talking about.

If you're going to spice a carabiner into a mooring line why not just make the end a soft shackle?   Soft shackles are great in their place?  -  You mean like when you're moored up and want to use a quick, easy, and quiet method of attaching a rope so it doesn't make banging and scraping noises on the hull?   The shackles is a better alternative to the carabiner as it doesn't scratch my paint work!

Edited by Robbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Robbo said:

If you're going to spice a carabiner into a mooring line why not just make the end a soft shackle?

You don't need to 'splice the carabiner onto the mooring line' - just use the normal mooring line and hook the carabiner thru' the eye-splice.

You do have an eye-splice on your lines ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

You don't need to 'splice the carabiner onto the mooring line' - just use the normal mooring line and hook the carabiner thru' the eye-splice.

You do have an eye-splice on your lines ?

Still makes a noise thou, and using carabiner's for springs on those gunnel type fixings above will probably bend them as they would be pulled too the side and not straight on.    You can still use the normal mooring line and hook on a soft shackle as well so I don't get that point.   If the carabiner has a separate eye then it must be some size to get two ropes through it for "using the normal line and hook"

Edited by Robbo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Similar idea to above, I made mine from angle iron off cuts.  Not really good for retro fitting but....

Mine were simply made as fender eyes but a bigger version would be really good as spring eyes.

 

 

IMG_0289.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.