Tony Redshaw JP fuel filter conversion

monkeyhanger

Featured Posts

Does anyone have one of these kits fitted to their boat engine? Are they any good?

The wicks in my JP duplex filter are on their last legs, and I was wondering whether to replace the wicks with new ones, or get a couple of Redshaw kits for a similar price. If I buy new wicks I can wash them out to clean them for the price of a pint of petrol, but with new paper filters every time the costs will continue to add up. Does anyone know which paper filters are used? And how often would you expect to clean your fuel filters?

7 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

CAV or Delphi kit using a common 522 filter, cheap as chips and just as good?

That doesn't seem to be the filter fitted in Redshaws kit. I've got something similar to that which filters the fuel before it gets to the duplex housing, but I want to retain the viual appearance of the originally fitted equipment.

8 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

That doesn't seem to be the filter fitted in Redshaws kit. I've got something similar to that which filters the fuel before it gets to the duplex housing, but I want to retain the viual appearance of the originally fitted equipment.

Then leave the socks out and use the external filter to do the filtering

19 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

Belt AND braces?   If it's there, I might as well have it working.

I look at it this way. After the tank, you've got a current industry standard 296 (probably) filter. Followed by a Lister woven sock filter, state of the art for the 1940s. I don't see what it is that the Lister filter can be filtering if the CAV one is working. And if the CAV one doesn't work, there's a good chance the Lister one won't either as it doesn't filter so finely

Richard

5 minutes ago, RLWP said:

I look at it this way. After the tank, you've got a current industry standard 296 (probably) filter. Followed by a Lister woven sock filter, state of the art for the 1940s. I don't see what it is that the Lister filter can be filtering if the CAV one is working. And if the CAV one doesn't work, there's a good chance the Lister one won't either as it doesn't filter so finely

Richard

I do have  a 296 filter before the duplex socks. I see what you're saying, and it sounds like very sensible advice. Maybe I'll leave my system well alone.  Thanks for the help.

4 minutes ago, monkeyhanger said:

I do have  a 296 filter before the duplex socks. I see what you're saying, and it sounds like very sensible advice. Maybe I'll leave my system well alone.  Thanks for the help.

Just in case, I've seen the Redshaw filter and it's a very nice piece of kit