Strange Question

EnglishRose

Featured Posts

On a topic of end of garden mooring someone had commenting about "digging out boat-sized space from my bank next to the canal". My question isn't related to mooring but hypothetically if I wanted to consider digging out a 1 metre square space on my garden that the canal would flow into.... Would this be possible, obviously CRT would need to give permission..... But does anyone know people whose gardens are adjacent to the canal (not towpath side) that have had permission to do this. 

8 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

On a topic of end of garden mooring someone had commenting about "digging out boat-sized space from my bank next to the canal". My question isn't related to mooring but hypothetically if I wanted to consider digging out a 1 metre square space on my garden that the canal would flow into.... Would this be possible, obviously CRT would need to give permission..... But does anyone know people whose gardens are adjacent to the canal (not towpath side) that have had permission to do this. 

Digging holes in the bank into which canal water can flow is very much frowned upon.  It can breach the clay puddle for starters.

I have seen two instances of this locally and in both cases BW/CRT insisted that it was backfilled PDQ.

A properly designed access, like a marina entrance is a different, and more expensive, option.  A good example of this is the Boat Yard at Barlaston where a householder has his own dry dock branching off the T & M.

George

5 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Is this what you mean http://takefiveboat.blogspot.com/2016/04/barlaston.html?m=1

Hmm ? I think we need a chat with CRT to see what they say. 

Screenshot_20181104-082451.png

Not sure if that's that arm/dock you're on about but if so it's been there for "yonks not sure if or not the water channel was a loading bay seem to remember it's been there longer than C&RT

Edited by X Alan W

15 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

Is this what you mean http://takefiveboat.blogspot.com/2016/04/barlaston.html?m=1

Hmm ? I think we need a chat with CRT to see what they say. We would potentially just need a 1m square, 1m deep space.. 

Screenshot_20181104-082451.png

The one that shows is actually at Hoo Mill but opening the link and scrolling down does show a picture of the one at Barlaston.

George

9 hours ago, EnglishRose said:

So if you don’t want a mooring, why do you want to make your garden smaller and dig out a section of canal bank?

It's potentially for a water source heat pump, check out Nuenta Energy Blades. We have a bywash but it isn't deep enough, this was my other thought if they won't allow it in the canal. 

However we are trying to discuss this with CRT to see what options, if any we have and it it is even viable, just need to wait until they have time to answer. I suspect it will be a no and even if potentially viable will be super expensive. 

If you need only 1 cubic metre of water why not dig a hole and line it and fill it with rainwater from roof downpipe  ?

I would suggest the edge of the excavation should be 5 metres from any building and and 5metres from the canal

Then you have the issue of a 1 metre deep hole that you will need to consider edge protection.

A suitable liner may be 'Bentomat'

2 minutes ago, MartynG said:

If you need only 1 cubic metre of water why not dig a hole and line it and fill it with rainwater from roof downpipe  ?

I would suggest the edge of the excavation should be 5 metres from any building and and 5metres from the canal

Then you have the issue of a 1 metre deep hole that you will need to consider edge protection.

A suitable liner may be 'Bentomat'

Just about to suggest the same thing - but given that it is entirely possible that you are allowed to excavate up to 3m from the embankment, and that CRT are probably entitled to let water flow into your garden, you may find that seepage from the canal does the trick anyway.  I can think of some places - Berkhamsted is one - where it looks for all the world as if folk have utilised seepage for ornamental ponds.

I find the concept of ground/air/water source heat pumps fascinating. We couldn’t install at our previous 18th century house as it wasn’t well insulated. Our new steel frame house has a gas central heating set up. It’s so well insulated it doesn’t make sense to rip out the boiler.

The Nuenta blades seem to be 3m long. Have you worked out how big an installation is needed for your property?

2 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If it's for a heat pump, I would presume that standing water wouldn't do, you'd need a flow which is why it would have to be connected to the canal rather than be just a hole in the ground.

If it is a large water body such as the entire canal that is required why bother with the 1 cubic metre excavation  at all?

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

If it's for a heat pump, I would presume that standing water wouldn't do, you'd need a flow which is why it would have to be connected to the canal rather than be just a hole in the ground.

No I think you're right - unless it was a very large body of water - perhaps the OP could offer to  construct a new reservoir....   

I was wondering whether anyone has something like this on a smaller scale for their boat?

I would imagine that it wouldn’t be viable if you are off line due to the power supply requirement of the heat pump (which also seems very expensive!). 

Also, how ‘green’ are these systems in reality? They do rely on a fair amount of electricity and they probably have a limited lifespan. What’s the footprint for running the company, manufacturing, delivery, maintainence, disposal when it fails? 

Surely it’s greener to live in a smaller space. ?

My neighbour has a ground source heat pump installation. Lots of pipes sunk deep into his Sussex fields (ancient river valley so lots of damp clay), a huge plant room with pipes and manifolds everywhere. Very dependent on mains electric supply. Looks very complicated....

41 minutes ago, EnglishRose said:

We would like to put it into the canal ideally, but we will see what they say. A water source heat pump, or alternatively air source is our options. We don't have mains gas and we don't want to stay on oil. 

I think you’ll have more chance getting CRT to agree to this if you push the “green” angle, tell them they can do a case study on how green they are letting you do it, ticks many of their new boxes. Don’t mention boats as that will scupper you chances ?

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, rowland al said:

Also, how ‘green’ are these systems in reality? They do rely on a fair amount of electricity and they probably have a limited lifespan. What’s the footprint for running the company, manufacturing, delivery, maintainence, disposal when it fails?

A typical heat pump has an energy coefficient of about 3 I.e. the heat output is about 3 times the (electric) power input. And since mains electricity is about 3 times the cost of gas or oil for the same amount of energy, the running cost will be similar to a conventional heating system. You might do your bit towards saving the planet, but you won't save yourself any money.

On a boat where electricity is more expensive it will be a money loser. 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, steve hayes said:

I think you’ll have more chance getting CRT to agree to this if you push the “green” angle, tell them they can do a case study on how green they are letting you do it, ticks many of their new boxes. Don’t mention boats as that will scupper you chances ?

That's exactly the angle we are hoping for. The remodel of the bungalow will be very green and will actually enhance how it is currently, rather than what most people would want to do which would be to knock it down! 

24 minutes ago, David Mack said:

A typical heat pump has an energy coefficient of about 3 I.e. the heat output is about 3 times the (electric) power input. And since mains electricity is about 3 times the cost of gas or oil for the same amount of energy, the running cost will be similar to a conventional heating system. You might do your bit towards saving the planet, but you won't save yourself any money.

On a boat where electricity is more expensive it will be a money loser. 

The reason why electricity is 3 times the cost of gas or oil, is that to generate 1kwh of electricity you need 3kwh of gas or oil! So it is not green, it merely moves the carbon emissions elsewhere. Unless of course the leccy can be sourced from renewables (wind, solar etc) which is unlikely on a still, frosty winter’s day.

And anyway “renewables” aren’t renewable - wind and tide power extracts energy from the rotational energy of the planet which will eventually slow down. And solar isn’t renewable as the sun has a finite amount of hydrogen to fuse, after which it will go out. It’s just moving the “fossil fuel” usage back a level.

• Greenie 2