Internet

Peter009

Featured Posts

Does anyone have any recommendations for the fastest internet solution on the waterways.  We are not sure where we will be yet on the canals however as we work from home internet is essential and the boat will be our home ongoing.

Obviously mobile phone internet will be available where there is a signal but does anyone use any specific device that would help with speed, wireless etc and any recommendations would be really appreciated.  Also have seen some narrowboats with satelite dishes on the top are they connecting to sky or something like that ....

I would think signal availability and strength would be preferable to speed.

To achieve a decent signal strength inside a metal boat (assumption), an external aerial connected to a mifi or router with mobile broadband sim is one option.

3 Homefi gives 100Gb per month. Router works off 12v. Has two connectors for an external aerial... Solwise supply aerials for around £80.

Why is speed important? It obviously depends on the provider and where you are.

If it is critical, you should probably have 2 suppliers in order to provide backup, and additional bandwidth.

A router with omni external antennas (best with two for 4G) is best for getting reliable Internet on the boat.   https://www.solwise.co.uk/ have antennas and routers. Three HomeFi is Huawei b315 router with external antennas, but you can get better as it’s only 150Mbps and 4G can do 300Mbps.   I use Three as a provider (100Gb per month).

Edited by Robbo

22 minutes ago, Robbo said:

A router with omni external antennas (best with two for 4G) is best for getting reliable Internet on the boat.   https://www.solwise.co.uk/ have antennas and routers. Three HomeFi is Huawei b315 router with external antennas, but you can get better as it’s only 150Mbps and 4G can do 300Mbps.   I use Three as a provider (100Gb per month).

Hi thanks for this I just looked this up and the plans only go up to 40 gb a month do you know who does the 4G ones similar looks a great solution thanks for this

17 minutes ago, Peter009 said:

Hi thanks for this I just looked this up and the plans only go up to 40 gb a month do you know who does the 4G ones similar looks a great solution thanks for this

You need to visit the Three shop to get the 100Gb version as it’s not available on-line.   I wouldn’t worry about the 300Mbps in all honestly as unless you live in a major city it’s more likely not available (Huawei do one tho, B525 I think).  The external antenna and good quality cable is probably more important.

Edited by Robbo

I've been using the 3 Huawei Wi-FI dongle for a year now, its been brilliant and fast and never failed. Mind you I've only been going up and down the Stort lately. Its on contract, 20 gorillabites for £10 per month, but there are other plans of course.

1 hour ago, rusty69 said:

It also depends when you will require this connection. 5G may be coming in the not too distant future, with all the new (no doubt) kit required to receive it.

5G is probably 3 to 4 years away from being anything like widespread. 

29 minutes ago, Phil Ambrose said:

Hells Bells Robbie is getting 300Mbps!! Thats 6 times faster than my fibre optic landline connection.

Phil 

That’s the max 4G can provide, very unlikely to get it.   At the moment I’m getting around 30Mbps on my phone.