Refit chimney on woodburner

Liz Pea

Featured Posts

Hello,

I have just bought a narrow boat with a woodburner which needs repairing - the chimney is loose; it's attached to the collar, but the collar is not attached to the stove top. The whole thing can be lifted clear. I don't have any photos I'm afraid.

I thought it was just a case of rejoining it with fire cement, but now I think it's a bigger job than I originally thought! I've tried googling to find out how to fix this, but with no joy. Any advice much appreciated :) 

Welcome. It is probably the flue pipe, not the chimney itself. 

Lots of threads re fitting  if you use the forum search function. 

Basically involves fire rope and high temperature silicone or as you say fire cement. 

The collar should be attached to the stove top (machine screws on my squirrel stove) 

If you can lift the whole pipe, it sounds like the top of the pipe also need attention. 

Edited by rusty69

12 minutes ago, Liz Pea said:

Hello,

I have just bought a narrow boat with a woodburner which needs repairing - the chimney is loose; it's attached to the collar, but the collar is not attached to the stove top. The whole thing can be lifted clear. I don't have any photos I'm afraid.

I thought it was just a case of rejoining it with fire cement, but now I think it's a bigger job than I originally thought! I've tried googling to find out how to fix this, but with no joy. Any advice much appreciated :)

There are normally 3 components

Flue - which is attached to the top of the stove and goes up thru the roof and into the roof collar.

Roof Collar - which is normally attached to the (outside) metal part of the roof of the boat, and chimney.

Chimney - this is normally a 'push-fit' onto the collar so can be removed for going under bridges etc.

Do you have all 3 components, are they all 'loose' ? is anything attached anywhere ?

Edited by Alan de Enfield

If you can post some photos of the stove top and flu connection, or lack thereof, it would be really useful. Often find that the original poster is not using the same terminology that is common if this is a new boat to them. Can save a lot of time and back and forth questions and answers.

Jen

• Greenie 1

If the collar is loose on the stove then it could be a case of a new collar required. Some of them are bolted from the inside and those flanges and fittings can rot away. As others have said, photos are needed before you'll get any useful advice. You used to have to upload photos to a picture hosting website before you could post them on the forum, but it's much easier to post photos on the forum these days. I do it straight from my phone.