Smoke alarm and cooking

aracer

Featured Posts

Our smoke alarm has a "hush" feature so that you can press a button when you are cooking and it will not sound for 5 minutes. You can press it again if 5 minutes is not sufficient. It does bleep once every minute to remind you that it is in hush mode.

We had the same problem. Multiple false alarms are dangerous because acclimatisation leads you to disregard any alarm, including real ones.

But why does anyone need a smoke alarm in the galley, when they are in the galley cooking? An intruder alarm has to be armed, so why not adopt the same approach for a smoke alarm?

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

By pressing the test button - yes  , but not recently so I should give it a go.

By setting fire to the boat - no

We have a similar thing at home and it has been known to go off for example if the toast gets burned .

Are you saying these alarms are no good? 

Testing by pressing the button doesn't provide an adequate test, it only tests the batteries not the sensor.

You don't need to set fire to your boat to test it with a smoke source.

I wasn't suggesting fire angel products are no good, I was just considering the possibility your particular one might be faulty as you said you have never had it activate whilst cooking, which is unusual in the confined space of a boat.

Edited by MJG

2 hours ago, MJG said:

Testing by pressing the button doesn't provide an adequate test, it only tests the batteries not the sensor.

You don't need to set fire to your boat to test it with a smoke source.

I wasn't suggesting fire angel products are no good, I was just considering the possibility your particular one might be faulty as you said you have never had it activate whilst cooking, which is unusual in the confined space of a boat.

Agreed.

And given his comments about CO in another topic I would be checking his CO alarm as well to ensure that is working and suitably located in the boat.

3 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

But why does anyone need a smoke alarm in the galley, when they are in the galley cooking? An intruder alarm has to be armed, so why not adopt the same approach for a smoke alarm?

Because you have to remember to arm it? It really needs to work the other way round, and the hush button feature comes close I reckon, will be getting one with that (and the one linked above appears to have that) - better might be to be able to switch it off in advance but then I'd probably forget in the same way I've forgotten to put the battery back at the moment after taking it out which would be the same issue with one you had to arm.

12 minutes ago, aracer said:

Because you have to remember to arm it? It really needs to work the other way round, and the hush button feature comes close I reckon, will be getting one with that (and the one linked above appears to have that) - better might be to be able to switch it off in advance but then I'd probably forget in the same way I've forgotten to put the battery back at the moment after taking it out which would be the same issue with one you had to arm.

The hush button is effectively turning it off. If of course you remember to hush it which I often forget to do when cooking breakfast!

46 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

Agreed.

And given his comments about CO in another topic I would be checking his CO alarm as well to ensure that is working and suitably located in the boat.

Both my smoke and CO alarms are suitably located.

At the time of my exposure to the exhaust fumes my seat was in the rear cockpit under canvas covers. The gas would  not have been directed into the boat interior.

We use the oven but don't do greasy food on the boat so may make steam but not smoke.

Other than pressing the test button I never heard of anyone testing domestic alarms by any other means.

I may get my smoking friend to breath on the smoke alarm.

39 minutes ago, Naughty Cal said:

The hush button is effectively turning it off. If of course you remember to hush it which I often forget to do when cooking breakfast!

I don't think the 'hush' button on ours completely turns it off but rather reduces the sensitivity temporarily. 

If it detects a real concentration of smoke such as that you would see in a 'rea' fire it overrides the 'hush' function and will still activate.

3 minutes ago, MartynG said:

At the time of my exposure to the exhaust fumes my seat was in the rear cockpit under canvas covers. The gas would  not have been directed into the boat interior.

We use the oven but don't do greasy food on the boat so may make steam but not smoke.

Other than pressing the test button I never heard of anyone testing domestic alarms by any other means.

Then you haven't done any proper research into the subject.

And you don't need to get your friend to do anything.

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1115857/?grossPrice=Y&cm_mmc=UK-PLA-DS3A-_-google-_-PLA_UK_EN_Safety_And_Security_And_ESD_Control_And_Clean_Room-_-Fire_Alarms_And_Systems_And_Accessories_And_Testers|Fire_Alarm_Detector_Test_Accessories-_-PRODUCT_GROUP&matchtype=&aud-359023887599:pla-391852858700&gclid=Cj0KCQiAlIXfBRCpARIsAKvManxgKbJ4Ngr7oglRjOyy6T-1OYC05ETBRgPIt7_i_imJub1XBAo61HMaAizGEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Other makes are available.

Edited by MJG

1 hour ago, aracer said:

Because you have to remember to arm it? It really needs to work the other way round<<

I suspect that you may have edited out the first part of my post before reading it:

5 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

>> Multiple false alarms are dangerous because acclimatisation leads you to disregard any alarm, including real ones.

10 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I suspect that you may have edited out the first part of my post before reading it:

No, I read it and agree with the point I thought you were making, which is partly where we came in. However if you're suggesting that it's an issue of ignoring an alarm when in order to do so you have to press a button on it then I disagree - we're talking here about a smoke alarm where it's obvious to anybody conscious in the vicinity of the alarm whether or not it's a false alarm, no amount of acclimatisation to it being triggered by cooking will lead you to ignore obvious smoke coming from somewhere else. That might be an issue for a CO alarm, but a smoke alarm is designed to alert people who are sleeping or behind a closed door. As I pointed out, the issue with your suggestion of having to arm it is forgetting to do so, I know I would; far better to have to hush it in a situation where somebody is present to assess the situation.

9 minutes ago, aracer said:

However if you're suggesting that it's an issue of ignoring an alarm when in order to do so you have to press a button on it

I'm not!

9 minutes ago, aracer said:

a smoke alarm is designed to alert people who are sleeping or behind a closed door

Agreed, which is why we don't need one at all in the galley!

Edited by Machpoint005
because a 't' fell off somewhere

11 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I suspect most people haven't properly researched the testing of smoke alarms. 

You are very likely correct.

That doesn't make it 'right' though.

I looked into it when one of ours at home didn't operate for what seemed months but would always work on the weekly battery switch test. So being curious I tested it with a smoking match held close to the device, zilch, nothing. Bought a spray to try, still nothing, so I replaced it. This was a mains powered one at home. The replacement one activated when the spray was used and it also triggered the one it was connected to.

Happy days again.

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Agreed, which is why we don't need one at all in the galley!

You don't, but you do need one in the location I have one - just the galley side of the main bedroom door (with a bathroom and second cabin between there and the galley). In such a location with no intervening door it is set off by cooking in much the same way as if it was in the galley - at least that seems to be the case on my boat.

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

If you dont do greasy food on yer boat how do you cook yer bacon? Its usualy fatty if its not full of water from a supermarket of course.........................please tell me you are not one of those weirdos that doesnt eat bacon sarnies for brekky at least once a week? ................................or nearly as bad eat it on brown bread :blink:

1 hour ago, MartynG said:

You don't have to be cooking fatty foods to set off the smoke alarm. Toast is what usually sets it off on our boat. That or toasted sandwiches. Oh and homemade garlic bread. That usually does it as well.

Yet I can cook a proper breakfast like I did on Sunday with sausage, bacon, black pudding, mushrooms, tomatoes and scrambled egg and not set it off at all.

If you are concerned about CO in the cockpit just get another CO monitor for in there. After seeing how high the levels of CO got in our cabin with our neighbours V8 petrol engine warming up (It sets our CO alarm off on a regular basis) we decided to carry one we can move around with us into the cockpit.

42 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

If you dont do greasy food on yer boat how do you cook yer bacon? Its usualy fatty if its not full of water from a supermarket of course.........................please tell me you are not one of those weirdos that doesnt eat bacon sarnies for brekky at least once a week? ................................or nearly as bad eat it on brown bread :blink:

Perhaps it is the brown bread that sets off our alarm. Maybe it wouldn't sound with white bread ;)

• Horror 1

5 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If you dont do greasy food on yer boat how do you cook yer bacon? ......................please tell me you are not one of those weirdos that doesnt eat bacon sarnies for brekky at least once a week?

Don't do bacon fry up type stuff on the boat ! But do go out to eat a nice english breakfast it and at home too. Maybe  not as often as weekly.

Trying to avoid bacon butties and fry ups as belly is bigger than  would like it to be.

Have been known to BBQ breakfast (on the shore not on the boat) - now that is luxury - with Prosecco !

4 hours ago, Naughty Cal said:

If you are concerned about CO in the cockpit just get another CO monitor for in there. After seeing how high the levels of CO got in our cabin with our neighbours V8 petrol engine warming up (It sets our CO alarm off on a regular basis) we decided to carry one we can move around with us into the cockpit.

Perhaps it is the brown bread that sets off our alarm. Maybe it wouldn't sound with white bread ;)

Will a CO alarm  work in relative open air and only not very well sealed canvas ? Thankfully the petrol boats that used to be near me have moved on.

I am not concerned about CO but will complain more if similar circumstances of exhaust fumes should arise.

We do toast - it  has yet to trip the smoke alarm .

I will do the fag smoke test on the smoke alarm when a suitable candidate is passing by. 

2 hours ago, MartynG said:

Will a CO alarm  work in relative open air and only not very well sealed canvas ? 

A CO alarm will work if the CO concentration is too high. It matters not where that is. 

Best to have it somewhere close to your head. 

11 hours ago, MartynG said:

Will a CO alarm  work in relative open air and only not very well sealed canvas ? Thankfully the petrol boats that used to be near me have moved on.

I am not concerned about CO but will complain more if similar circumstances of exhaust fumes should arise.

We do toast - it  has yet to trip the smoke alarm .

I will do the fag smoke test on the smoke alarm when a suitable candidate is passing by. 

Yes it does work and it also highlights just how quickly CO levels can build up from adjacent boats and generators.

It also works outside when stood next to petrol boats. Wafting it through the exhaust of a petrol boat will set the alarm off, if it is working of course.

12 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

Rib eye steak in hot butter sets it off on our boat, or the fried bread once it’s soaked up the butter while the steak is resting.

Peri peri sauteed potatoes and salmon set it off on Saturday night. Had to get the oil screaming hot to crisp up the salmon skin.

The hush feature only works if you remember to push the button :D

On 03/11/2018 at 21:23, Alan de Enfield said:

The BSS is not about protecting YOU, it is about protecting other canal users from explosion, fuel or sewage discharge etc.

No need for any ventilation, smoke detectors of CO alarms - you can kill yourself if you want to, but woe-betide you if your pump-out tank is not correctly labelled.

Unless BSS change their minds a CO alarm will be required in 2019 and if the boat's cabin is over about 40 foot you will need 2 CO alarms, because of external CO coming in through windows and doors, this is protecting you which is not what they are for.

PS surely you swap the labels for the pump-out and diesel to protect yourself from the diesel thief one suck and they never return.

• Greenie 1