Introducing our new boat!

jetzi

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

>>>Roll on Brexit so we can get back to real units !!!!

Hahahahahaha! Fat chance!

Your "real" units are all defined in terms of the proper, internationally accepted, metric system, not the other way around.

2 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

That's why I always ask for "568.261 millilitres of your cheapest ale, landlord" at the boozer.

Do you honestly expect him to measure it to the nearest thousandth of a millimetre? A single drop is five times as big as that!

50 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

Well spotted - the spellchecker didn't like "millilitre"! 

That's because the 'Muricans, not satisfied with simply shunning the metric system, have to also butcher the spelling of it to "liter" and "meter" and try to force their ways on the rest of the world with their US designed spellcheckers. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

...even made-up "tradition"?  ;)

Why do you say made-up? I suppose all traditions are made up right - are you saying the tradition that boats should not be renamed while they are in the water is a very recent thing?

What is the traditional tradition around naming boats?

4 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

That's because the 'Muricans, not satisfied with simply shunning the metric system, have to also butcher the spelling of it to "liter" and "meter" and try to force their ways on the rest of the world with their US designed spellcheckers. It's a conspiracy I tell you. 

Can I be outraged yet?

A couple of months back I went to see a boat - it had a really awful name and had I bought it I would have changed it ASAP. So I went online to look up how you actually in a legal sense change it, in doing so I came across squillions of different superstitions, and every different type of boat had their own special to them ones as well. The ones I'm most familiar with involve coins - under the mast or integrated into the hull. But that's not a handy quirk to have if you're now a narrowboater. ?

I'm not remotely superstitious though I do like little rituals for things like boats but I have one friend who would not under any circumstances change the name of a boat and no tradition or ritual would make it ok for him to do so. 

The out of the water thing isn't strictly unique to narrowboats but it's not one that I've heard much before I came here.

The bottom line is if I ever have a boat that I need to change the name of I'm going to get in all sorts of trouble from certain people for not doing the right and proper thing. :rolleyes:

Edited by Tumshie

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

A couple of months back I went to see a boat - it had a really awful name and had I bought it I would have changed it ASAP. So I went online to look up how you actually in a legal sense change it, in doing so I came across squillions of different superstitions, and every different type of boat had their own special to them ones as well. The ones I'm most familiar with involve coins - under the mast or integrated into the hull. But that's not a handy quirk to have if you're now a narrowboater. ?

I'm not remotely superstitious though I do like little rituals for things like boats but I have one friend who would not under any circumstances change the name of a boat and no tradition or ritual would make it ok for him to do so. 

The out of the water thing isn't strictly unique to narrowboats but it's not one that I've heard much before I came here.

The bottom line is if I ever have a boat that I need to change the name of I'm going to get in all sorts of trouble from certain people for not doing the right and proper thing. :rolleyes:

You’ll be okay if you rename it Unicorn. They are real, I saw two earlier today. 

CCAE021B-7AE5-4DD7-B00F-5F97F8F16A07.jpeg.d2041f348bc6c68c1a7d2bd974334d74.jpeg

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I saw two earlier today.

That grown up one has a real 'don't mess with me' look in its face. it's a little disturbing. :huh:

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Maybe it was HMS Unicorn

I don't think I'm single handing her. And with the dog's lack of opposable thumbs he's not a lot of help either.

So I think we're going for something a foot or two smaller. :D

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

That grown up one has a real 'don't mess with me' look in its face. it's a little disturbing. :huh:

I don't think I'm single handing her. And with the dog's lack of opposable thumbs he's not a lot of help either.

So I think we're going for something a foot or two smaller. :D

You could just get the unicorn bit.I bet it floats!

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

W

WOW @NickF that's amazing! I would LOVE to see some photos if you have any! Where did you hire her and where did you go?

The weed-hatch hatch (the cover that goes over the weed hatch compartment) is just a board at the moment, so it's not too hard to get at, but the actual T shaped screw (I think it's a screw) that holds down the horizontal bar that holds down the hatch is stuck firmly. I plan to get a stout piece of metal pipe and cut a slot for the cross of the T, which I hope will give me enough leverage to twist it off. Also, the exhaust leak into that compartment is 'orrible, black diesel soot coats the walls, the weed hatch and the stern gland greaser. So I'm sure that isn't helping my case.

We got the boat from the Black Prince Base in Stoke on Trent 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hanley,+Stoke-on-Trent/@53.0234851,-2.1959702,335m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a42820633fb27:0x2266c33ce771db9d!8m2!3d53.023414!4d-2.1723921

We did The Four Counties ring plus The Macc to bridge 57 and the Caldon to Lock 21. 

I have dissapointingly few photographs .. sorry .....just the two photos below in my album which really aren't worth copying properly.

IMG_20181105_213955133.jpg

IMG_20181105_214006641.jpg

10 hours ago, NickF said:

We got the boat from the Black Prince Base in Stoke on Trent 

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/Hanley,+Stoke-on-Trent/@53.0234851,-2.1959702,335m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x487a42820633fb27:0x2266c33ce771db9d!8m2!3d53.023414!4d-2.1723921

We did The Four Counties ring plus The Macc to bridge 57 and the Caldon to Lock 21. 

I have dissapointingly few photographs .. sorry .....just the two photos below in my album which really aren't worth copying properly.

Thanks so much for the photos and the info @NickF! The first one is great, you can still see her colour scheme!

13 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As long as one example of the original name remains on the boat 'anything goes' (Typically a 'small' name painted on the transom suffices)

12 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I went online to look up how you actually in a legal sense change it, in doing so I came across squillions of different superstitions, and every different type of boat had their own special to them ones as well. The ones I'm most familiar with involve coins - under the mast or integrated into the hull. But that's not a handy quirk to have if you're now a narrowboater. ?

I have a friend who was an ensign in the South African Navy and is a professional celebrant. He was adamant that it must be done right and gave me this handy link which contains the following advice:

every vessel is recorded by name in the ‘Ledger of the Deep’, and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. To change the name of a vessel without consulting Poseidon is to invoke his wrath, so in order to change a boat’s name, a traditional ceremony is used to appease the gods of the seas.

The first thing that must be done when renaming a boat is to purge its old name from the Ledger of the Deep, and from Poseidon's memory. This will involve wiping out every trace of the old boat name, and reciting a short ceremony to remove the boat’s name from Poseidon’s records.

If I go by the "tradition" in that particular link it's going to cost me two bottles of good Champagne. In combination with the Protected Designation of Origin of the Champagne region of France, this sounds like a racket of De Beers diamond engagement ring proportions. It's a conspiracy I tell you.

I'm happy to follow a little tradition or even top up the canal with a little Asda brand sparkling wine. But in fact I haven't seen the "out of water rename" thing written down anywhere, and that seems like it might be a bit impractical for ships like Seawise Giant AKA Happy Giant AKA Jahre Viking AKA Knock Nevis AKA Oppama AKA Mont. Would be interested to know what "traditions" they followed when renaming her! All things considered the time-honoured tradition of entering the new name via the CRT website seems like the way forward...

13 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

And don't get me started on, ugh, train station.

• Greenie 1

47 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

All things considered the time-honoured tradition of entering the new name via the CRT website seems like the way forward...

It worked for us -- and the boat we bought was green (it isn't any more, but I disliked the imitation GWR colour scheme).

15 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

And don't get me started on, ugh, train station.

Even "railroad station" would be preferable, but everyone knows the correct term is "railway station" or simply "station".  Other sorts of station need adjectival nouns to identify them, but there is no need if it's a station.

It's tautology, like saying "turn left at the Rose & Crown pub" -- what else would the Rose & Crown be? 

• Greenie 1