Introducing our new boat!

jetzi

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, doratheexplorer said:

Don't buy another Shurflo, they're crap.  Don't ask how I know this.  Get another make, like Jabsco.

Good to know, I'll look at some other options then. I just thought it would be best to use the same make to ensure everything still fits together.

They have this one on Amazon which looks similar and is just 10 pounds more expensive but is a little weaker (25 PSI instead of 30):

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Jabsco-31395-0292-Marine-2-9-Gpm-12-Volt/dp/B000O8B3T0

8 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

So that means we use about 130Wh per day. Let's call it 150Wh to be safe.

So about 12Ah. A couple of hours will replace most of that :)

1 minute ago, ivan&alice said:

They have this one on Amazon which looks similar and is just 10 pounds more expensive but is a little weaker (25 PSI instead of 30):

Whilst pressure is important it’s not as important as flow rate. Flow rate determines how fast the water comes out of the tap or showerhead. 

4 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Whilst pressure is important it’s not as important as flow rate. Flow rate determines how fast the water comes out of the tap or showerhead. 

Interesting - the Shurflo is 7 litres per minute, the Jabsco is 2.9 gallons per minute, which is 13 litres per minute?! So the Jabsco flow rate is almost twice as fast - have I got that right? Considering we went through our first 500 litre tank of fresh water in under 2 weeks, I'm not sure I want it to be fast! We obviously have some way to go in the conservation department...

The two pumps do seem to be similar in design so I don't think I'd have too much difficulty replacing it with a different model. What's wrong with Shurflo...? oh wait,  @doratheexplorer said not to ask ?

13 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

The two pumps do seem to be similar in design so I don't think I'd have too much difficulty replacing it with a different model. What's wrong with Shurflo...? oh wait,  @doratheexplorer said not to ask ?

We were using shurflos for 17 years,every couple of years they would leak without fail. I would usually take them apart, apply appropriate gunk and they would survive another 6 months before leaking again. We now have a jabsco parmax 2.9.It is currently on year 3, so too early to say if it is a major improvement.

If funds allow, buy two.Stick one on your shelf.It will fail at some point .One of ours packed up Christmas eve one year, so we now always have a spare. Whale pumps also get good press.

Some people reckon Shurflo will last longer than our experience suggest, but as live aboards, our pump does get quite a hammering.

Mr Bizzard reckons to improve pump longevity you could depressurise the pipework after every use. We can't be bothered to do that.

Next episode.......square d switches and how to pressurise your accumulator tank correctly.

Edited by rusty69

20 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

We were using shurflos for 17 years,every couple of years they would leak without fail. I would usually take them apart, apply appropriate gunk and they would survive another 6 months before leaking again. We now have a jabsco parmax 2.9.It is currently on year 3, so too early to say if it is a major improvement.

If funds allow, buy two.Stick one on your shelf.It will fail at some point .One of ours packed up Christmas eve one year, so we now always have a spare. Whale pumps also get good press.

Some people reckon Shurflo will last longer than our experience suggest, but as live aboards, our pump does get quite a hammering.

Mr Bizzard reckons to improve pump longevity you could depressurise the pipework after every use. We can't be bothered to do that.

Next episode.......square d switches and how to pressurise your accumulator tank correctly.

33 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Interesting - the Shurflo is 7 litres per minute, the Jabsco is 2.9 gallons per minute, which is 13 litres per minute?! So the Jabsco flow rate is almost twice as fast - have I got that right? Considering we went through our first 500 litre tank of fresh water in under 2 weeks, I'm not sure I want it to be fast! We obviously have some way to go in the conservation department...

I have a Jabsco Parmax 1.9 which suppposedly gives 7 litres a minute.  I used to have a more powerful pump but when I replaced my last leaking shurflo pump, the seller sent me the 1.9 instead of the 2.9 by mistake.  He gave me a big discount by way of apology and I put the 1.9 in.  I'm very happy with it.  The flow rate is a bit lower but still fine for a shower.  I use less water and the whole system is now at a lower pressure than it was built for, which mean leaks are less likely.

Edited by doratheexplorer

On 03/11/2018 at 18:35, ivan&alice said:

From what I understand about the tradition, boats need to be out of water in order to safely change the name ;) We'll look at that when we get her blacked and perhaps sign-written. Her name is not displayed anywhere but our license disc at the moment.

No, they don't. This is a combination of superstition and misunderstanding of normal practice, as well as a bit of maritime history that simply doesn't apply to a steel narrowboat.

CRT uses the index number to identify the boat, although it does keep records of names too. What you have to do is:

(1) go to the CRT web site and log into your account.  

(2) edit your boat details (you can change name and 'home' waterway yourself)

(3) display the new name on the boat.

That's it - nothing else. It is traditional to mark the occasion with an alcoholic beverage but it's not compulsory. In any event don't pour the stuff over the boat, drink it!

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

No, they don't. This is a combination of superstition and misunderstanding of normal practice, as well as a bit of maritime history that simply doesn't apply to a steel narrowboat.

CRT uses the index number to identify the boat, although it does keep records of names too. What you have to do is:

That's it - nothing else. It is traditional to mark the occasion with an alcoholic beverage but it's not compulsory. In any event don't pour the stuff over the boat, drink it!

Image result for spoilsport

• Haha 1
  • Angry 1

...and there's me thinking I was removing a source of worry for a new owner. Note that I said:

"It is traditional to mark the occasion with an alcoholic beverage but it's not compulsory. In any event don't pour the stuff over the boat, drink it!". 

Perhaps I am spoiling the righteous indignation  of non-drinkers, but I make no apology for that!

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

Interesting - the Shurflo is 7 litres per minute, the Jabsco is 2.9 gallons per minute, which is 13 litres per minute?! So the Jabsco flow rate is almost twice as fast - have I got that right? 

That's US gallons, which are smaller than Imperial gallons. 2.9 US gallons per minute is about 11 litres per minute.

the Shurflo is 7 litres per minute, the Jabsco is 2.9 gallons per minute, which is 13 litres per minute?! So the Jabsco flow rate is almost twice as fast - have I got that right?

Yes, you have the theory right, but taps don’t have to be turned on full ;)

It’s just good to have a higher flow rate available when you want it. Like a blast in the shower maybe. 

Edited by WotEver

43 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

I'm telling you, the boat will sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the reason that the American gallon is smaller than the 'imperial' gallon is that they left England prior to 1824.

But if they used the Dry Gallon it would be far closer. 

7 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Yes, you have the theory right, but taps don’t have to be turned on full ;)

It’s just good to have a higher flow rate available when you want it. Like a blast in the shower maybe. 

I always have a blast in the shower....its so much fun!

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

But if they used the Dry Gallon it would be far closer. 

The 'Beer Gallon' at 282 cubic inches is the closest.

The 'dry' (Grain) gallon was 268.8 cubic inches.

The 'Pilgrims' took barrels of wine with them, so when they arrived they re-used the barrels and hence the 'Wine' gallon of 231 cubic inches became the American 'standard gallon

The imperial gallon (that we use today) was standardised in 1824 at 277.4 cubic inches.

14 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm telling you, the boat will sink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then why hasn't mine sunk, in the 11 years up to now, anyway?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The 'Pilgrims' took barrels of wine with them, so when they arrived they re-used the barrels and hence the 'Wine' gallon of 231 cubic inches became the American 'standard gallon

The imperial gallon (that we use today) was standardised in 1824 at 277.4 cubic inches.

When was the cubic inch standardised?

4 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Dunno - when was it standardised ?

I have no idea -- I thought you would know. But having a standardised Imperial gallon defined in terms of inches is pretty useless if it wasn't!

I've JFGI and Wiki says:

"Standards for the exact length of an inch have varied in the past, but since the adoption of the international yard during the 1950s and 1960s it has been based on the metric system and defined as exactly 2.54 cm."

So the imperial inch is a derived metric unit.

...and so is the imperial gallon!

1 hour ago, Machpoint005 said:

Good to know it is this simple - will I be able to print out licence discs with the new name on them to display on the boat? (I call them "discs", although they are square, by analogy to the car license discs so you know what I mean). Is there any cost involved to this? Can I pour just a little of the beverage on the boat or is it a bottle of champers on the bow or nothing...? ;)

We aren't superstitious, especially not my wife, but
unlike her I'm a sucker for a bit of tradition - so I'm keen to wait until Butterfly's out of the water in order to rename her. Is there anything else to the tradition other than having her out of the water? Can it only be done by the light of a waxing crescent moon, for example?

1 hour ago, David Mack said:

That's US gallons, which are smaller than Imperial gallons. 2.9 US gallons per minute is about 11 litres per minute.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

And the reason that the American gallon is smaller than the 'imperial' gallon is that they left England prior to 1824.

47 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This is what the metric system is for, people. A litre is simply a litre. It's also exactly one kilogram of water at its maximum density (4 degrees), and exactly 1000 cubic centimeters (10x10x10). When we're standardising imperial gallons in decimal fractions of an inch, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

That's why I always ask for "568.261 millilitres of your cheapest ale, landlord" at the boozer.

• Greenie 1

42 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

When we're standardising imperial gallons in decimal fractions of an inch, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

Sorry I was just trying to simplify it for you younger 'viewers' who may not have been edumacated in proper units and fractions.

Imperial gallon = 177 and 2/5ths cubic inches

Grain gallon = 268 and 4/5ths cubic inches.

Roll on Brexit so we can get back to real units !!!!

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

I have no idea -- I thought you would know. But having a standardised Imperial gallon defined in terms of inches is pretty useless if it wasn't!

I've JFGI and Wiki says:

"Standards for the exact length of an inch have varied in the past, but since the adoption of the international yard during the 1950s and 1960s it has been based on the metric system and defined as exactly 2.54 cm."

So the imperial inch is a derived metric unit.

...and so is the imperial gallon!

Sssh, don't tell Mrsmelly, you will only upset him ?

2 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Then why hasn't mine sunk, in the 11 years up to now, anyway?

When was the cubic inch standardised?

I didn't say when it would sink.  But it will sink!!!

;)

We aren't superstitious, especially not my wife, but
unlike her I'm a sucker for a bit of tradition - so I'm keen to wait until Butterfly's out of the water in order to rename her. Is there anything else to the tradition other than having her out of the water? Can it only be done by the light of a waxing crescent moon, for example?

There are incantations which need to be chanted, but I'm not sure what they are.  You could try reciting the Lord's Prayer backwards, or shout Beetlejuice 3 times.  I think you have to walk backwards round the boat 6 times while drinking a carton of Um Bongo too. 

Probably best to light some candles and have a priest on standby.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

This is what the metric system is for, people. A litre is simply a litre. It's also exactly one kilogram of water at its maximum density (4 degrees), and exactly 1000 cubic centimeters (10x10x10). When we're standardising imperial gallons in decimal fractions of an inch, something has gone terribly, terribly wrong.

That's why I always ask for "568.261 millilitres of your cheapest ale, landlord" at the boozer.

We as licensees in the UK fought tooth and nail against the over bearing, over powering, over here!! eu to keep the good old British pint. It took a hell of a long time and effort and money to get Johny Foreigner ? to back down. We eventualy won the case and were " allowed " to retain the British pint being an " Independant " country and all that. I am pleased to say that the legal measurement in the UK for beer is a pint even though the eu have taken UK businesses to court for not selling in Johny Foreigner measurements for any other product other than milk which can be sold by the pint. It is therefore illegal to sell 568.261 foreign things of beer in a freeflow situation I am happy to say ? pre packed stuff is a different matter. Must go now and drive at 30 mph to the pub to buy a pint or two of beer ?

Edited by mrsmelly
numpty
  • Haha 1