Introducing our new boat!

jetzi

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

IMHO the last thing you should worry about when looking for a boat is its colour. It will need repainting sooner or later and you will have a whole spectrum to choose from.

No, we didn't worry either but the red paint rapidly deteriorated and nothing we could do would revive it at all. We have just had a repaint (huge expense!) and proper signwriting and the boat is now not red!

49 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

It worked for us -- and the boat we bought was green (it isn't any more, but I disliked the imitation GWR colour scheme).

Even "railroad station" would be preferable, but everyone knows the correct term is "railway station" or simply "station".  Other sorts of station need adjectival nouns to identify them, but there is no need if it's a station.

It's tautology, like saying "turn left at the Rose & Crown pub" -- what else would the Rose & Crown be? 

It could be an actual Rose and a Crown.  Alternatively, there are general place names which linger after long lost pubs.

1 hour ago, Victor Vectis said:

And don't get me started on, ugh, train station.

This jars with me too - but in fact it is quite logical. After all, we say "'bus station", not "Road station" so, by ananogy, "train station" should be acceptable. But I still don't like it.

The French, more logical than us, do call it a "gare routiere" - road station. I suppose they'd say "gare ferroviaire" for "railway station" but I've never heard that: they tend to say "gare S.N.C.F." or just "gare".

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

every vessel is recorded by name in the ‘Ledger of the Deep’, and is known personally to Poseidon, or Neptune, the god of the sea. 

May I just point out this is a load of old claptrap where canal boats are concerned?

There is no such thing as ‘deep’ where CRT are concerned, so neither Poseidon nor Neptune get a look in. Even if they did, and took umbrage at your Asda fizzy wine, the gunwales of your sunken bote would still be visible above the water as the baseplate settles onto the mud. So rename it however you like. 

Hope that helps... 

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, Athy said:

This jars with me too - but in fact it is quite logical. After all, we say "'bus station", not "Road station" so, by ananogy, "train station" should be acceptable. But I still don't like it.

The French, more logical than us, do call it a "gare routiere" - road station. I suppose they'd say "gare ferroviaire" for "railway station" but I've never heard that: they tend to say "gare S.N.C.F." or just "gare".

But when railway stations were first built did we even call trains trains? They would have been engines, steam engines, locomotives, and railway carriages. Over time Train Station will become the norm and no will worry about it, language evolves whether we like it or not. I tend to sit quite firmly in the 'or not' camp some times new terminology feels a bit like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet. But then I will probably use words my great grandparents would be unsure off, so it happens even with out us being aware - if it's not some thing we care about. 

1 hour ago, Lysander said:

No, we didn't worry either but the red paint rapidly deteriorated and nothing we could do would revive it at all. We have just had a repaint (huge expense!) and proper signwriting and the boat is now not red!

Congratulations on your freshly painted boat. I'm sure it must look fantastic! We're going to need to repaint as well, out of interest I asked for a professional quote and 8 grand was the number that came back. So I'll have to find a cheap DIY way to do it when the summer comes along!

16 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

May I just point out this is a load of old claptrap where canal boats are concerned?

There is no such thing as ‘deep’ where CRT are concerned, so neither Poseidon nor Neptune get a look in. Even if they did, and took umbrage at your Asda fizzy wine, the gunwales of your sunken bote would still be visible above the water as the baseplate settles onto the mud. So rename it however you like. 

Hope that helps... 

To be fair, it's a load of old claptrap even where canal boats aren't concerned. That said I've heard of people taking their narrowboats across the channel so the deep could still get you if you're foolish enough to take a renamed canal boat out to sea (or... for that matter... a non-renamed canal boat out to sea).

1 minute ago, Tumshie said:

But when railway stations were first built did we even call trains trains? They would have been engines, steam engines, locomotives, and railway carriages. Over time Train Station will become the norm and no will worry about it, language evolves whether we like it or not. I tend to sit quite firmly in the 'or not' camp some times new terminology feels a bit like wearing your shoes on the wrong feet. But then I will probably use words my great grandparents would be unsure off, so it happens even with out us being aware - if it's not some thing we care about. 

They were choo choos in our house. 

19 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

But when railway stations were first built did we even call trains trains? They would have been engines, steam engines, locomotives, and railway carriages.

The S.O.D. notes this use of the word as first occurring in 1824, so, yes.

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

It means gobby and loud-mouthed. 

Thanks. I've just found it in Partridge, who defines it as "a boaster" and attributes its origin to the Orstraylians c. 1880.

6 hours ago, Athy said:

Gare Du Nord

17 hours ago, Athy said:

Yes, that's the name of one particular Parisian station. I was speaking in more general terms.

During my stays in France with relatives I have never heard the word Gare on its own, it is always Gare du Nord, Gare du Lyon, Gare de Riems etc;

One more photo that I found from 2001. Taken at one of the locks on the Middlewich Branch. The crane was there to remove the JCB that had fallen into the canal right in front of us as we exited the lock. Quite a scary experience, it went in backwards and ended up on its back with the front shovel in the air, it then fell towards us as I was desperately going astern to get out of its way. My son and mother in law were on the bow and  it missed them by a couple of metres!  Anyway ... it is perhaps a better picture of the OPs boat than I had found previously!

After the incident we re filled the lock so that we could get on and off the boat as we waited for the JCB to be removed.

Butterfly.jpg.aba8b1768a825239244ae49b942f7c52.jpg

JCB2.jpg.97b12c45e2ad18417b3a9bf04befd5ce.jpgJCB1.jpg.36be7482b0a8912a1005cf5aa0af1b25.jpg