Introducing our new boat!

jetzi

Featured Posts

Congratulations.

Should be a solid choice once you have sorted the thins you clearly already know need sorting.

I don't think the "London Whiteout" interior is at all bad.  I'm currently sat in a 1936, and as we progress through it it is getting "whiter" all the time(!)

Congratulations, she looks very neat. Black Prince boats always seem to be very well built.

I'm sure the experts will be along soon to comment, but I don't think running the eengne for just 45 minutes at a time will be doing the batteries much good. I suspect you might need to do it longer than that.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, ivan&alice said:

Installing a bilge pump. There is a drip tray under the engine with about an inch of water in it, and when it rains we do get a bit of water in the engine bilge. Otherwise the bilges are pretty dry.

Congratulations!

Just a quickie in case you weren't aware... The "drip tray under the engine" you refer to above is a bund for oily waste that shouldn't be pumped overboard.  The idea of the bunding is to keep that stuff separate from stern gland and rainwater ingress which your bilge pump is supposed to pump overboard.

I hope you and your new boat are very happy together. :)

• Greenie 1

Well done - a good buy and once 'sorted' and looked after, will last you a lifetime.

Top tips :

Do not try and run a fridge and everything else on one small battery - you will kill it,

Do not just run the engines for 45 min night and morning you will soon kill the battery by undercharging (4 hours per day may be nearer the mark but will depend on your consumption)

Thanks for coming back to show off your new pride and joy.  That looks an excellent boat for the money - maybe that spreadsheet was a good idea after all :D

I'd say you certainly want more batteries - at least one more temporarily, as one battery is really going to struggle as it gets colder.

Post pics of the pipework from the stove - we should be able to tell you if you need to have the pump running while the stove is on or not just by looking at the pipes.  If there are no pipes to/from the stove, the rads will only be plumbed into the Eberspacher, so you don't need to be concerned.

Spot on. Pleased to see you took advice and didnt buy one of those miniature 57 footers etc. Good stove. Good engine and nearly enough space. Hull by Johny Pinder probably so should last. Just one thing. You will not manage a winter methinks on one battery. Anyway, enjoy ?

• Greenie 1

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of boating.

90 minutes a day is not enough to charge batteries. Best to invest in a shunt based ammeter (to monitor battery tail current at 14+ volts and thus determine when to stop charging)  and a voltmter or Smart Gauge to measure battery state of charge (to determine when to start charging) if you want your batteries to last.

34 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Congratulations and welcome to the wonderful world of boating.

90 minutes a day is not enough to charge batteries. Best to invest in a shunt based ammeter (to monitor battery tail current at 14+ volts and thus determine when to stop charging)  and a voltmter or Smart Gauge to measure battery state of charge (to determine when to start charging) if you want your batteries to last.

I have one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300A-wireless-DC-volt-AMP-power-meter-Battery-Monitor-capacity-Coulomb-counter/332647522021?hash=item4d73565ee5:g:mvcAAOSwJjZa9BbA:rk:7:pf:0 s-l1600.jpg

300A-wireless-DC-volt-AMP-power-meter-Battery-Monitor-capacity-Coulomb-counter

Edited by ditchcrawler

4 hours ago, ivan&alice said:

We run the engine for 45mins morning and evening to charge the batteries...

Just one more warning to add to those above that your battery won’t last the winter with such a short charge. At least three times that is likely to be closer to your requirements. 

• Sad 1

47 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Just one more warning to add to those above that your battery won’t last the winter with such a short charge. At least three times that is likely to be closer to your requirements. 

get a decent 240-12V charger and hide it under your  desk at work. Take the battery with you every day and you will be laughing.:lol:

Matt's 'How To Live On A Boat In London' Hint number 127 

• Greenie 1

Well done that man!

As a word of advice, it might be an idea to get the weed hatch sorted sooner rather than later.

(Such as when you are blocking a bridge 'ole with two boats coming in the other direction, one of which has got stemmed up because you are in the way, with the engine stalled dead because you've got a carpet wrapped around the prop.)

You might wonder how I know this.

?

Edited by Victor Vectis
  • Haha 1

Lots of predictable comments about battery charging, which are largely right as general advice but I'll give an alternative view:

The OPs post indicates a very low power consumption. Pumps, lights (LED?), and phone charging.  If that's genuinely all the power usage, and there's only 1 battery, 2 x 45 minutes is probably ok.  The OP is getting to grips with things.  There's a fair chance that the battery will be a bit knackered by spring, but better that with one battery than an expensive big bank.  Getting 1 battery charged is going to be an easier and quicker job than a big battery bank too.  Look at it this way:  Assume the battery cost £90 and diesel is 70p a litre, and his engine uses a litre per hour (very rough estimate - bear with me).  If the OP runs his battery for an extra hour a day between now and the end of March to look after his battery a bit better.  By then he would have spent around £135 extra pounds on diesel, which is more than it would cost to buy a new battery.  (150 days x  £0.70p = £105) Not to mention the extra wear and tear on the engine.

Don't bother with the fridge if you can avoid it, get a good quality (Coleman or similar) unpowered cool box and keep it on your deck.  Milk etc will keep for a few days easily over winter.  Keep your electricity usage as low as you can.  Expect to bin the battery in the spring.  In the Spring look at what you've learned and consider getting a proper battery bank with some solar (300w or more) - this will happily run a fridge through the warmer months..  Happy days!

Note to add:

I like the name 'Butterfly'!  Don't change it or your boat will sink.

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Greenie 1

3 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

Getting 1 battery charged is going to be an easier and quicker job than a big battery bank too.

Point of Order M'Lud...

This isn't strictly true. Provided an appropriately sized charger is being used, a big battery bank takes exactly the same time to charge that last 15% as a small bank takes.

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Provided an appropriately sized charger is being used, a big battery bank takes exactly the same time to charge that last 15% as a small bank takes.

It doesn’t need to be a very big charger (or alternator) as the current for that last 15% is pretty low.