Harry Arnold

max's son

Featured Posts

Unusually we have encountered him twice in the last year, camera in hand as always, and he certainly photographed Flamingo when we passed near his native territory.

He looked somewhat frail compared to how I have seem him in previous years. but certainly not someone likely to pass before 2018 was out.

Condolences to his family.

I last saw Harry in July at the Audlem Festival. I heard via friends that he’d suffered a stroke a short while ago and that he wasn’t showing signs of improvement. We have lost another very knowledgeable Waterways personality and an expert photographer. Condolences to his family. RIP.

I am so saddened to hear this.

Saw and chatted only very recently.

I moored at Fradley Junction for quite some years and saw a lot of him and enjoyed his wise words.

He told me much about the history of this boat after her working days in which he was involved in condemning her first cabin fitted as a cruising boat! 

Should I boat to a 'boaty' do in the Midlands, Harry always turned up.

Bless you Harry. You enriched my life and understanding of the canal world I live in.

James

• Greenie 1

3 hours ago, Boaty Jo said:

If this is the man who was involved with the restoration of Saturn, he was indeed a gent. RIP

Yes he was.

He will be sadly missed by many.  He was very helpful to us when we were editors of the Shropshire Union Canal Society magazine and always willing to supply photos for free.  He had a long connection with the Society and was the first editor of the magazine around fifty years ago.

Although I hadn’t seen Harry for some time and had no idea he was so ill. He was very involved with the early days of WRG and was a great friend and supporter of the late Graham Palmer and even helped with the funeral arrangements . Over the years had many a pint in Alrewas with Harry and I contributed to his regrettably short lived canal magazine after the fall out with waterways world. 

Respects to his family

Thanks Ray. I’ll go and say farewell, his contributions to the Waterways scene can’t be overemphasised. I hope his photographic archive goes to a good home. Several years ago, he enthralled the Craft Guild AGM with a selection of then and now images from around the system. Such a sad loss, but none of us old farts are getting any younger......

Hopefully his daughter will continue to hold it and carry on her fathers works

14 hours ago, dave moore said:

Thanks Ray. I’ll go and say farewell, his contributions to the Waterways scene can’t be overemphasised. I hope his photographic archive goes to a good home. Several years ago, he enthralled the Craft Guild AGM with a selection of then and now images from around the system. Such a sad loss, but none of us old farts are getting any younger......

I can only agree with all that has been said.

What a few months it's been - Alan Faulkner, David Wain and now Harry. I hope there are new generations of enthusiasts for waterways and waterways history growing, but we won't see the likes of people like them again.

RIP

Joseph

• 2 weeks later...

I was one of many, many boaters and waterway enthusiasts who attended Harry’s funeral at Lichfield Crematorium, Fradley, yesterday. It was heartening to see so many of the “ old school” in attendance, from many aspects of the boating scene. Tributes by Tony Lewery, Hugh Potter and Audrey Smith covered the remarkable life of a man involved for so long.....from early hire boating companies, assisting with the early Waterways Recovery Group, a major figure in helping to found the Boat Museum at Ellesmere Port, along with the Saturn restoration project, while all the time pursuing a successful career in Waterways photojournalism. His tireless energy and enthusiasm have left a tremendous legacy for which modern users should be grateful. A cushion on his coffin with a pair of windlasses and his MBE was a poignant touch. I left uplifted.

• Greenie 1

On 05/11/2018 at 20:31, Joseph said:

I can only agree with all that has been said.

What a few months it's been - Alan Faulkner, David Wain and now Harry. I hope there are new generations of enthusiasts for waterways and waterways history growing, but we won't see the likes of people like them again.

RIP

Joseph

Robert Wilson has also apparently recently passed on.  Not particularly active or well-known on the waterways over the last 30 years he is, nevertheless, remembered for writing and publishing some of the first historic boat literature - including some by Alan Faulkner.

Sadly it is unlikely that future generations will be able to replace these stalwarts as the connection with working boatmen will be lost.  Harry in particular was there at the end of the working boats, the birth of pleasure boating and the establishment of the leisure/live aboard world of today.  I bet he preferred the early days!

Paul

Edited by Paul H