Pictures of Etruria/charity dock.

sparrowcycles

Featured Posts

Hello folks, I'm currently moored in Stoke on Trent at Etruria works and it has got me wondering about how the whole site used to look back in the day. Does anyone have any photos, particularly of the pound just the other side of the footbridge which adjoins the bone and flint mill, currently there seems to be an overgrown area there but the canal widens and it must have been a wharf or lay up place at some point..

Andddd.. while on the old photos theme, I'm looking for photos of the fields either side of charity dock when they had boats pulled up there, If anyone has an image or two of that that they'd be happy to share I'd be very grateful. 

None of these are for anything online or to be shown on any way, just my own interests in the sites. 

Many thanks! 

33 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Sorry no photos but is this where you mean? Definitely a wharf. Map published 1879.

Etruria Basin.png

That's a great map! I didn't know there was a basin under what is now the car park. 

The bit I'm most interested in is just south of this map, it'd include the bone mill of which the tiny arm can just be seen at bottom centre. 

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Lysander said:

Attaching two maps to the south of the previous one - a six inch map published 1889 and a 25 inch one published 1900. Unfortunately the site does not show a 25 inch map any earlier. Can I recommend the National Library of Scotland site as a fascinating resource https://maps.nls.uk/index.html

Etruria 2.png

Etruria 3.png

Thankyou, those really are very interesting and show the area I'm looking at perfectly. I just realised also that the remains of what seem to be a circular courtyard in the  cauldon canal park are actually the base of an old gas tank! 

Much appreciated. S

What are you meaning by the fields by Charity Dockit has been much the same since I first wnt on the dock there with my "Josher motor that would have been early 1958 difference now is the boats have gone mostly from working to Leisure moored outside & I think the dock is less used  Back in the day although looking tip like Joe or Jack & to a degree Jess knew exactly what they had & where it was 1 the work/repairs turned out were top notch interesting company name at that time Bo Trans Eng not sure if it was a ltd company derived from boats,transport, engineering as as well as the boats they had a #of trucks & also a guy doing machining work on a # oft he lathes etc's in one of the sheds  to the working boater the gear they had it was like wonderland  Masts, stands, cloths,   rope ,fenders cans ,painted & plain

Edited by X Alan W

1 hour ago, X Alan W said:

What are you meaning by the fields by Charity Dockit has been much the same since I first wnt on the dock there with my "Josher motor that would have been early 1958 difference now is the boats have gone mostly from working to Leisure moored outside & I think the dock is less used  Back in the day although looking tip like Joe or Jack & to a degree Jess knew exactly what they had & where it was 1 the work/repairs turned out were top notch interesting company name at that time Bo Trans Eng not sure if it was a ltd company derived from boats,transport, engineering as as well as the boats they had a #of trucks & also a guy doing machining work on a # oft he lathes etc's in one of the sheds  to the working boater the gear they had it was like wonderland  Masts, stands, cloths,   rope ,fenders cans ,painted & plain

I'm mainly interested in the stretch that goes from the dock itself towards the school and am looking for photos of boats moored there from as long ago as possible. I'm aware they would almost all be working boats back then.

I do have an amazing photo of a steam dredger there with some willow wren boats in the background.