How much are you paying for smokeless?

Featured Posts

On 25th Sept we bought 8 x 25kg bags of Excel for £12.50 per bag, and diesel @ £0.78 per litre from a coal boat

On 26th Sept we exchanged a gas bottle at Ashby Boat Co for £29

On 30th Oct we bought 6 x 25kg bags of Excel for £12.00 per bag (gone down - may be good customer discount?) from same coal boat as above, and diesel @ £0.87 per litre. Was advised that a bottle of gas has now gone up to (think it was said) £32.95 - though we didn't buy any, didn't need to.

Looks like gas and diesel has gone up by 10%! 

We passed Streethay a couple days ago, their diesel was advertised as £0.93 per litre.

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

Apparently, Newheat is the same as the discontinued Pureheat, just bigger nuts.

My coal merchant told me that Pureheat is now Firegold and, I have to admit, I can't tell the difference. They do also sell Newheat, which I haven't used. I am currently trying CPL Heat Briquettes @ £10 for 25kg from a local Marina and it's very good.

5 hours ago, bizzard said:

Edited by rgreg

Today I bought 5 x 25kg bags of Excel for £12.75 each, delivered to my roof by NB Dusty.  Also a 13kg gas bottle for £33. They didn't have a diesel to spare so I don't know how much that was. The price of all fuels is creeping upwards (except gas, that is bounding upwards).

Last year we tried quite a range of  coals and kept notes on which was best.

I reckon coal has quite a bit of year to year variation and I now also suspect that there can be regional variations, I think some coals are made locally using local supplies rather than centrally

Last year Supertherm was our favorite, followed by Excel.

This year the Supertherm is making noticeably less heat and is a bit more fussy about staying in.

The Excel is very smelly and makes unpleasant fumes in the boat when the stove door is opened, whilst last year it was fine.

Supertherm is still our preferred fuel but we will give Homefire Ovals a try later this week. Last year they made by far the best hear but made too much smell.

............Dave

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I reckon coal has quite a bit of year to year variation and I now also suspect that there can be regional variations, I think some coals are made locally using local supplies rather than centrally

This year the Supertherm is making noticeably less heat and is a bit more fussy about staying in.

The Excel is very smelly and makes unpleasant fumes in the boat when the stove door is opened, whilst last year it was fine.

Supertherm is still our preferred fuel but we will give Homefire Ovals a try later this week. Last year they made by far the best hear but made too much smell.

............Dave

Funny you should mention this, we're finding that if the stove gets too low, putting a few nuts of Excel on actually puts the remaining 'cinders' out. It seems we can't now let the fire go too low. I can't remember having that problem last year. Yes, Excel is rather smelly, again something we didn't notice last year.

Maybe it's time to experiment.

Going back to the OP, our coal boat is selling a 25Kg bag of Homefire ovals at £14 which therefore is £56 for 4 bags (100Kg). It is the most expensive of the brands of coal he sells. This seems much more expensive than the OP's 'loose' coal. Difficult to store coal on the roof if its not in bags....and the last time we got coal - we got it in the middle of the canal in Braunston so transferring loose coal would have been interesting.

4 hours ago, dmr said:

............Dave

I noticed this problem with the excel at the beginning of last winter but it improved as the season progressed. This year the excel I have been getting has none of the problems of the last few years, it gives good heat, no fumes and is easy to keep in. Must be made by different manufacturers, mine is in marked bags from K G Smith.

10 minutes ago, bastion said:

I noticed this problem with the excel at the beginning of last winter but it improved as the season progressed. This year the excel I have been getting has none of the problems of the last few years, it gives good heat, no fumes and is easy to keep in. Must be made by different manufacturers, mine is in marked bags from K G Smith.

The local coalman is a real proper coal merchant with big piles of coal in his yard and he said that he sell his slack to the companies that reconstitute it into the named coal brands, so there must be potential for some variability.    and he's a proper Yorkshireman so he probably "cuts" the slack with lead and uranium dust to get a better price for it.

................Dave