Duck at Blisworth

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, Tumshie said:

I've just had a quick look for Cayuga and they look green rather than black and neither they or a mallard have a white bib. So I'm genuinely curious why you think that? 

Mainly because it was suggested to me by an internationally known waterfowl expert on the internet a number of years ago.

EDIT:   Much of the green seems to be iridescence like you see on Starlings, Magpies etc.

Edited by Jerra

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Mainly because it was suggested to me by an internationally known waterfowl expert on the internet a number of years ago.

EDIT:   Much of the green seems to be iridescence like you see on Starlings, Magpies etc.

I'd never heard of a Cayuga duck and when I looked them up thought they were amazing in their colouring they're quite beautiful. It was the white bit in Rupert Bear's description that made me think if the Swedish duck.

After looking at the duck in the original post I think it might have some of the Cayuga influence too because if the green in its head which is grant it mallard like but also the blue on its wings. 

:D

On 02/11/2018 at 17:50, rupertbear said:

Today I saw a duck on the canal which was all black (above the waterline, at least) apart from a white bib. Definitely a duck, not a coot or similar.  It was keeping company with a mallard drake but was a bit smaller. Maybe a mallard/collie cross?

Here's the Collie Duck:

CD.jpg

On 13/11/2018 at 14:21, rupertbear said:

Here's the Collie Duck:

I still think it's a Swedish Duck, their body feathers can vary in shade from grey/blue to black especially if they are a cross with some thing else, but the white bib is very distinctive. Technically Swedish Ducks are domestic but there's always the one that got a way and the one in you picture looks like a Swedish cross mallard. :)

ETA but he could be just Swedish. 

Edited by Tumshie