Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
jake_crew

Duck at Blisworth

Featured Posts

Jeez, did no one look at the video(above) I spent seconds finding on google earlier.:)

Shrugs shoulders and leaves thread glad his i̶n̶v̶i̶n̶c̶i̶b̶i̶l̶i̶t̶y̶ invisibility cloak is still fully functioning.

Edited by rusty69
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Jerra said:

I would go for Drake Wood Duck

A look around the internet suggests that Carolina and Wood may be two names for the same kind of duck (or drake).

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

It's a mandarin mallard cross I think, there are a few on this pound. 

It doesn't look that cross to me!  There's a thriving naturalized Mandarin population on the river I overlook at home and I think it's quite a common occurrence, isn't it?

Edited by Sea Dog
Added Mandarin for clarity since there's some wood duck confusion.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

A look around the internet suggests that Carolina and Wood may be two names for the same kind of duck (or drake).

Correct both are Aix sponsa.   I am most used to it being called Wood Duck so automatically used that name.

4 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Correct both are Aix sponsa.   I am most used to it being called Wood Duck so automatically used that name.

Ah yes, I suppose you wood.

1 hour ago, Ray T said:

Duck at Blisworth.

Why, are the bridges low?

:clapping:

Th Middle Bull pub in Market Street, Ashby-de-la-Zouch, was an ancient structure whose front door lintel was only about 5'6" above ground level. Painted on said lintel were the words "Duck or grouse". For years I thought it was part of an olde-worlde menu. Mr. Lightning, they call me.

Edited by Athy

Today I saw a duck on the canal which was all black (above the waterline, at least) apart from a white bib. Definitely a duck, not a coot or similar.  It was keeping company with a mallard drake but was a bit smaller. Maybe a mallard/collie cross?

Can all species of duck interbreed? The possibilities are fascinating.

• Greenie 1

Just now, rupertbear said:

Today I saw a duck on the canal which was all black (above the waterline, at least) apart from a white bib. Definitely a duck, not a coot or similar.  It was keeping company with a mallard drake but was a bit smaller. Maybe a mallard/collie cross?

The drakes think so, yes.

A greeno for the wunnerful concept of a mallard/collie cross.

6 minutes ago, rupertbear said:

It may have been a Swedish duck on its holidays 

2 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

It may have been a Swedish duck on its holidays 

.... On its way to a fancy dress party in... 

(oops wrong thread) 

• Haha 1

On 02/11/2018 at 17:50, rupertbear said:

Sorry I have just spotted this.  The most likely (IMO) is a Cayuga cross mallard.    To the best of my knowledge not all species of duck can hybridise but many can/do.   Waterfowl seem more prone to hybridisation than many other families of bird.

19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

The most likely (IMO) is a Cayuga cross mallard.

I've just had a quick look for Cayuga and they look green rather than black and neither they or a mallard have a white bib. So I'm genuinely curious why you think that?