Forth & Clyde Canal to be drained in times of heavy rain

Grassman

Featured Posts

The article says the plan is to lower the canal by a maximum of 10cm when heavy rain is expected, which I doubt would affect boating much. I suppose the computer may not like people operating locks at such a time and upsetting its calculations, but then if it's about to rain heavily (a fairly frequent state of affairs in Glasgow so I hear, although on my two brief visits it didn't) people might not be wanting to be out boating.

Purchasers of those 3000 new homes on the land now allegedly freed from flood risk may wish to check that insurers believe this scheme will cope with the worst that Glasgow's weather can do. But if this scheme provides the Scottish government with a motive to keep the canal maintained that's got to be a good thing.

15 minutes ago, Peter X said:

The article says the plan is to lower the canal by a maximum of 10cm when heavy rain is expected, which I doubt would affect boating much. I suppose the computer may not like people operating locks at such a time and upsetting its calculations, but then if it's about to rain heavily (a fairly frequent state of affairs in Glasgow so I hear, although on my two brief visits it didn't) people might not be wanting to be out boating.

Purchasers of those 3000 new homes on the land now allegedly freed from flood risk may wish to check that insurers believe this scheme will cope with the worst that Glasgow's weather can do. But if this scheme provides the Scottish government with a motive to keep the canal maintained that's got to be a good thing.

It also may be worth checking up on where the water to be drained from the canal is going to? It might just worsen any flood risk, surely?

Something isn't adding up :

The 'scheme' is costing £17m and will create 55,000 cubic metres of additional capacity.

We sold off some land to a local Farmer (Estate) and they built a reservoir at a cost of £5m (of which 50% was funded by DEFRA as part of future 'water savings' plans)

This reservoir is 230,000 cubic metres allowing a 1.2 metre 'freeboard'.

So, 4x the size at under a third of the cost - is this why local Government is going 'bust'.

20x Swimming pools is not a huge amount when surface water of a city is considered

... and who's liable when it goes wrong and these homes (which , from the dribbles of information I've gleaned so far, are apparenty built on a re-claimed flood plain) get flooded?

Not too likely, though, given Scottish Canals' maintenance skills ??

6 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

... and who's liable when it goes wrong and these homes (which , from the dribbles of information I've gleaned so far, are apparenty built on a re-claimed flood plain) get flooded?

Not too likely, though, given Scottish Canals' maintenance skills ??

I did wonder why places named such as these needed flooding protection :

The areas to benefit over the next 10 to 15 years include Sighthill, Hamiltonhill, Ruchill Hospital, Cowlairs and Dundashill.

10 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I did wonder why places named such as these needed flooding protection :

The areas to benefit over the next 10 to 15 years include Sighthill, Hamiltonhill, Ruchill Hospital, Cowlairs and Dundashill.

Indeed, if they are anything like various English "Hills", the hilly bit was built on many years ago leaving only the wet bits at the bottom to build on.

It all reminds of a man being interviewed on TV a few years ago complaining about his new home being flooded and what was everyone going to do about it.  The name of his new avenue?.................................WATER MEADOWS!

George

Edited by furnessvale
  • Greenie 1

This is bad news. Things should be opposed on the basic concept and not the detail. I recall that when University fees were introduced we were promised (by a labour government sadly) that the fees would be very low and just used to put a little bit of extra cash into Universities.....and how high are fees now?

So this is what will happen.....,   10cm is not quite enough, lets make it 20.

Its really hard to reliably predict rain so lets lower the level all the time rather than just prior to rain.....after all we don't want to flood all of those new houses.

Have not seen any boats for ages, lets make it 30 cm

The only use of the canal is now flood control so lets not support any boating.

Have you heard the one about the frog in the saucepan????

...............Dave