More power to your ......

Opener

Featured Posts

16 hours ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

I'm only a very occasional user of electric, when on my mooring in winter, and haven't got a dedicated socket, so I made up a cable splitter so I can share my neighbour Steve's supply.  How do I pay?  When I see him in the pub I buy him a pint of electricity!

But it has just occurred to me - are there any safety / galvanic considerations in two boats sharing a supply?

That seems like a very down to earth solution. ?

Have a look back at post #3 and Alan includes an image of a socket available from the linked trader.  See that there is a tab on the blue flap which protects the socket when not in use.  Have a look at your bollard and it probably has this type of flat and a corresponding tab on the socket itself so that it can be secured shut with a small padlock.  Sufficient to emphasise to the casual user that they do not have legitimate access to the socket.

What I am looking for, and cannot find on line, is a made up lead which has a plug on the end which also has the padlock tab eg:

image.png.1a464a72afa46ac4d723d34146d944bf.png

This is just the plug and I would prefer a professionally wired lead.

47 minutes ago, Opener said:

This is just the plug and I would prefer a professionally wired lead.

Send me the plug and I’ll professionally wire it up for you. Send me the cable plus the socket for the other end and I’ll do it for nowt. 

• 2 months later...

Apologies for the delayed update - it's cold outside!  Many thanks for information, advice and offers. Just what I expected from the forum.

In the end I did not find a made up lead and had to bite the bullet.  After all, I had a perfectly serviceable cable, just not the plug that I wanted.  So I went to trusty Azamon and bought a:  WALTHER 212306 CARAVAN PLUG - PADLOCKABLE [1] Pro-Series.  Prompt delivery and a very nice piece of kit.  Two sturdy screws for each cable core - stripped back the insulation and 'captured' the end of the core with the furthest screw - the second screw then ensures a really good contact.  The rubber cable gland is marked off in cable diameters so straightforward  to trim to the right size for a snug fit on the cable.  (and, yes - I did remember to thread it into the cable before fitting the plug).  Once the plug was attached, I measured and took a few turns of insulating tape around the cable where it now goes through the cable gland just to make it a tighter fit.  Also put a smear of petroleum jelly where the body of the plug clamps together as a bit of basic weatherproofing.

Continuity tested then plugged in and a padlock fitted - only down side is that the holes in the tab/bollard are quite small so only takes a fairly small padlock.  Job's a gooun!

On 01/11/2018 at 08:54, mrsmelly said:

It all depends on your take on risk? Not only are some people worried about a few amps being nicked there are many worried about all manner of other thefts. I see plenty of narrow boats and others with bloomin great padlocks on their fuel caps. I bought one boat with big locks on the cruiser stern deck covers as the owner worried about his batteries. the list is endless. I have never had such a problem with any of these matters. Oh and I removed the great locks from the boat I had with locked decks as they were a dangerous trip hazard!! I have often wondered over the years why some people worry unduly over some matters unless of course ..............................

Diesel theft was, and still may be, a real thing particularly a few years ago when prices were high. 

Phoned for a delivery from 'diesel in a can' (sadly service no longer avaliable), asked a few others moored near me that If they wanted a delivery at the same time some of who said thank you yes. Took delivery of 100 litres the next day, morning after someone had smashed my fuel lock off. Coincidence? I don't think so. 

Fortunately no fuel was taken as I presume they may of been disturbed (in more was than one?). 

So it is a real issue. Even though I had a fuel lock the attempt was made, fortunately I think the noise they made breaking the fuel lock may of saved any actual theft taking place. 

Edited by reg