Running small freezer off solar ?

CompairHolman

Featured Posts

Anyone running a small freezer off only solar power that can give us some real idea of what capacity of solar runs what size freezer in the winter months.

We have 460 w of solar, and a small 50 litre ? 240 v freezer which I think is 45 w ? ( I'm going to bond 50 mm insulation board to it to get more efficiency and keep it in my cratch space in the cold ) I don't have the money to buy a 12 v one . Our mooring faces west over open Fields with trees behind to the east.

During the Winter Solar may (at a push) charge your phone, it will certainly not run a Freezer.

As an average (over 5 months of Winter) I have, at best, achieved 5% of the rated output on my panels (that includes weeks of cold, dry and cloud free weather), so taking 5% of your 460 watts you will have an effective 23 watt panel.

Call that about 1.5Ah at 14v

Say 6 hours per day (9:00am to 3pm) that'll give you about 9Ah per day

Your freezer will use about 30-40Ah per day (depending on model, insulation, number of times you open the door etc)

Edited by Alan de Enfield

3 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

Anyone running a small freezer off only solar power that can give us some real idea of what capacity of solar runs what size freezer in the winter months.

We have 460 w of solar, and a small 50 litre ? 240 v freezer which I think is 45 w ? ( I'm going to bond 50 mm insulation board to it to get more efficiency and keep it in my cratch space in the cold ) I don't have the money to buy a 12 v one . Our mooring faces west over open Fields with trees behind to the east.

The big problem may be avoiding idle losses from the inverter.

Probably could run a counter top freezer as a high efficiency fridge though.

4 hours ago, CompairHolman said:

Given solar in winter delivers approx 0.1% of summer output, and given 500W of solar comfortably runs a freezer in summer, my arithmetic suggests 50kW of solar will suffice in winter. 

Hope that helps.

6 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Given solar in winter delivers approx 0.1% of summer output, and given 500W of solar comfortably runs a freezer in summer, my arithmetic suggests 50kW of solar will suffice in winter. 

Hope that helps.

Eh? Maths was never my strong point. 

• Greenie 1