Gmail auto translate

jenevers

Featured Posts

26 minutes ago, jenevers said:

My BT email automatically translates French into English.

can Gmail be set up to do the same?

When I get an email from a company based in France that I deal with Gmail automatically gives me this option at the top of the email.

If I click on translate it translates it for me. 

Translate.PNG

Once you have translated it you get the option to 'Always translate French' at the right top side of the email.

Translate_1.PNG

Ed - Just to add, this is on Gmail on a PC using Google Chrome. I haven't tried another browser or another device as I use the Samsung and Blackberry native email apps. on my tablet and phone.

Further Ed. - just tried it with Microsoft Edge on my PC and it works with that too, you get the exact same option.

Edited by MJG

8 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Does it though? Or is it the browser doing it? As I understand it, gmail doesn't have a "language translate" feature, but I was unaware any email service offered it. And that a browser does, these days.

See above, it does.

Although G mail does indeed open in a browser you get the ability to do it embedded in the email header.

9 hours ago, MJG said:

When I get an email from a company based in France that I deal with Gmail automatically gives me this option at the top of the email.

If I click on translate it translates it for me. 

Translate.PNG

Once you have translated it you get the option to 'Always translate French' at the right top side of the email.

Translate_1.PNG

Ed - Just to add, this is on Gmail on a PC using Google Chrome. I haven't tried another browser or another device as I use the Samsung and Blackberry native email apps. on my tablet and phone.

Further Ed. - just tried it with Microsoft Edge on my PC and it works with that too, you get the exact same option.

Hmm. I don’t get that  option on my iPad Air 2

8 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Another reason to vote against Apple.

Did you happen to read the news about the Italians fining Apple Euro 10 million ? (deliberately slowing down Iphones to make people buy a new one) Other countries are now planning to do the fine them similarly.

The Italian Competition Authority, or AGCM, fined Apple and Samsung 5 million euros (about $5.7 million) each for releasing software updates that "significantly reduced" the performance of phones, the AGCM said in a statement. 

Both companies urged people to install updates that weren't "adequately supported by their devices," the AGCM said, adding that Apple and Samsung failed to provide customers with an "effective way to recover the full functionality of their devices." This pushed consumers to buy new devices, according to the AGCM

Apple was fined an additional 5 million euros for allegedly failing to provide adequate information on how to maintain and replace phone batteries.

Last December, Apple acknowledged that its iOS software slows down the performance of older iPhones. The company says iOS does this to counteract problems in aging lithium-ion batteries. After facing criticism over its battery policies, Apple apologized formally and offered battery replacements for $29, a program set to end Dec. 31.

Apple has denied that phones were slowed in order to get customers to buy new models. The company didn't respond to a request for comment. 

Edited by Alan de Enfield

10 minutes ago, jenevers said:

10 minutes ago, jenevers said:

Which browser? Safari?

I dont get it either on my Samsung tablet using Chrome.

I suspect it may be limited to the desktop version of gmail or the app. possibly. (I don't use the gmail app. as it has too many limitations)

Edited by MJG
Remove curious double post