Moving new boat

Hells

Featured Posts

Best advice .... moving a 47ft narrowboat from Calder to Stourport on Severn / Droitwich ? 

Best ideas ? By road ? professional boat movers ? 

Will move boat Down River Severn to Glos myself in spring ... don't like the Severn in winter ! 

I will be living full time but still have to get to work Mon-Friday so could move boat myself at weekends but Lancaster to Gloucester is one hell of a daily commute in the week  ! 

Any bright shiny ideas ?? 

11 minutes ago, Hells said:

Best advice .... moving a 47ft narrowboat from Calder to Stourport on Severn / Droitwich ? 

Best ideas ? By road ? professional boat movers ? 

Will move boat Down River Severn to Glos myself in spring ... don't like the Severn in winter ! 

I will be living full time but still have to get to work Mon-Friday so could move boat myself at weekends but Lancaster to Gloucester is one hell of a daily commute in the week  ! 

Any bright shiny ideas ?? 

That is a bright shiny idea, one which I have been doing for years now with great success.

I tried part time but didn't like the hours.

More seriously, get some quotes, see what suits your budget/timescale.

PS. Welcome to the forum.

Edited by rusty69

If you are wanting to do this before mid March 2019, you are facing quite a challenge, the stoppages kick in next week and the Christmas break isn't always possible either due to ice or flooding on the rivers you need to use. The shortest route comes in at 10 days, with 10 hours a day cruising, easy in Summer with everything open, but the Macclesfield and Peak Forest, have been shut for most of the last 12 months and are closed again this winter.

I would stick it on a lorry and take it the whole way in a day - recommend Tuckeys. 

If you are happy to potentially stay in Stourport over the winter then talk to Mal mgr at Stourport Marina (Tingdene) as there is a haulage company next door who he uses who are VERY cheap as they do general haulage work not marine so aren't over inflated for a niche market - I used them a few years back for Ripon to Stourport very good.

28 minutes ago, matty40s said:

If you are wanting to do this before mid March 2019, you are facing quite a challenge, the stoppages kick in next week and the Christmas break isn't always possible either due to ice or flooding on the rivers you need to use.

I had this very problem when I bought my boat last autumn. As it was on a private and almost inaccessible offside mooring on the River Thames it made more sense to leave it there for the winter, Then due to spring flooding it was May before I could move it, and even then the Thames was a little lively in places :captain:

Cheers .... I've looked stoppages and this seems the main problem. 

Might have a wander up to Stourport and see the haulAge firm and marina there as that seems a good starting point. Looks like it will be a road trip ! 

Thanks for for all your useful advice - cheers Guys 

1 hour ago, AllanD said:

Can also recommend Tuckeys. Everything went to plan and got regular updates including from the driver. 

Seconded. 

I've used them several times and they are expensive, but they do what they said they would do, when they said they would do it. What price can you put on that? Other cheaper firms have let me down in the past so now I would only call Tuckeys.

1 hour ago, Halsey said:

Only mentioned them because I can recommend them but they only do trips based on Stourport as the boss used to own a boat and their base is next to the marina and a boat can be a "return" load for them hence cost savings

"Back load".  ;)

• Happy 1

On 31/10/2018 at 13:50, max's son said:

On Twitter @gillhellings a narrowboat was lift into the basin by hiab today  (video)

The area at the end of the new flats by the mini roundabout is built as a crane stand to allow it to

be used to launch boats or retrieve.

You're talking about Diglis, not Stourport here (and the lift in was on Tuesday). I reckon I had a much better vantage point than Gill, though I only took still photos. 

DSC_2009.JPG