Community Led Housing Fund

Teasel

Featured Posts

Hi All, 

There is funding from the Government available at the moment for people to explore community led housing options. 'Housing' obviously broadly defined to include residential boats. I think this could be well used for boaters who want to look at getting residential moorings etc.. It could support initial ideas and planning consultants, or other groundwork that might need doing. There is a need on the canals (in my view) for some new ideas, some more affordable residential moorings and some new solutions.

The link is here - https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/community-housing-fund

I may not be loads back to check on this post (or I may be) but i just wanted to make people aware it's available. 

Cheers. 

Edited by Teasel

Residential moorings are arguably a form of housing and residential boaters are recognised by Government as a specific household group. As such, local authorities should consider this household group within their Strategic Housing Market Assessments (SHMAs) and translate their needs and relevant issues into local planning and housing policies where appropriate.
Some minority household groups are the subject of specific planning guidance such as Circulars. However, there is no such policy guidance for residential use of waterways, and, in its absence, the need for planning permission is assessed within the context of the general principles of planning control. As a result there is always the risk of inconsistent planning decisions, resulting in contradictory case law and creating uncertainty for future proposals.

Local authorities therefore have a responsibility to make well-informed planning decisions, using all the ‘tools’ available to them, including this advisory document. They should consult the relevant navigation authority and take into account their statutory duties, policies and any guidelines and local plans. They should also engage with all stake-holders at an early stage to understand the range of issues.

More generally, planning for residential moorings is most suitably dealt with when developing waterway strategies, local area development plans or similar; these plans should consider all types of moorings (residential, leisure, commercial and visitor moorings) and make appropriate provision for them within a local strategic context.

Source : Residential use Of The Waterways (2011)

Why stick at canals? There must be potential in a community-led project to take on a gravel pit for mooring, with suitable waste disposal. Obv. have to crane boats in and out, or floating sheds as seen on the Thames for humongous prices.

20 minutes ago, MartynG said:

I think this is aimed at developers / schemes and not individuals ?

A marina exclusively for residential use perhaps could be considered a suitable new development ?

I agree, this would not be for individuals.  Probably not developers per se... its probably more similar the 'community right to bid', in other words where neighbourhoods wish to influence development they could identify and allocate land next to a canal and determine  it is used for residential moorings.  I doubt that many neighbourhoods would choose to have such a development, any more than they welcome new Traveller and Gypsy site.  In addition Local Plans devised by Local Authorities take years to be 'made' and often last for at least 10 years.  As all development must be in accord with a Local Plan (including neighbourhood plans) or the National Policy Planning Framework there are not likely to be many authorities that could respond quickly to this.  

There is probably enough capacity, within the system as a whole,  to offer residential moorings within existing marinas, if the owners were so inclined.  But not everyone wants to live in a regularised setting.

5 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

Why stick at canals? There must be potential in a community-led project to take on a gravel pit for mooring, with suitable waste disposal.

I think that some existing marinas are converted gravel pits, so yes, the idea is feasible.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

I think that some existing marinas are converted gravel pits, so yes, the idea is feasible.

Indeed, but there is no reason, other than convenience, why they need to be connected to anything...

25 minutes ago, Onewheeler said:

Indeed, but there is no reason, other than convenience, why they need to be connected to anything...

Oh, I think there is! Otherwise, how could moorers go cruising? They'd be like that poor so-and-so in a field beside the Oxford Canal (though, as he got in, i suppose he could get out again if he tried).

1 hour ago, Onewheeler said:

I think there is if the "normal" arrangement of waste water from sink/shower exits into the surroundings (which is present on probably 99.9% of boats) exists; and even if it doesn't, then nature being nature would take its course and the water would be stagnant, with negative effects. Something would need to be in place to address this, being connected to an existing watercourse and being part of it is the obvious way. If they're connected then making the gap big enough to allow a boat in/out makes so much sense.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

Oh, I think there is! Otherwise, how could moorers go cruising? They'd be like that poor so-and-so in a field beside the Oxford Canal (though, as he got in, i suppose he could get out again if he tried).

He just hasn't finished digging the rest of his own canal yet.  With a careful excavation I reckon he could have a couple of  kilometres at his disposal - mind you if that were my plan I wouldn't have started where he did.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tanglewood said:

He just hasn't finished digging the rest of his own canal yet.  With a careful excavation I reckon he could have a couple of  kilometres at his disposal - mind you if that were my plan I wouldn't have started where he did.

:D

This reminds me of that old joke:

_ Excuse me, how do I get to Oxford?

- Well if I were you I wouldn't start from here.

3 hours ago, Athy said:

Billing Aquadrome on the Nene springs to mind, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a number of others, perhaps mostly on rivers.

As gravel pits are deep, I think if I were moored on one I'd keep a suitable ladder available for climbing out if someone fell in.

It would certainly make sense for there to be some flow of water to help maintain water quality, and to have a connection to navigable water in order (a) to give the option of going out for a cruise to those who want it and (b) to move boats in and out when necessary without the bother of a crane.

In 1978 I lived in Frimley Green, Surrey, and walked to work in Farnborough past several flooded gravel pits. Those would be quite a desirable location for residential use, being in a nice area for commuting to London, and perhaps able to circulate water from the nearby River Blackwater without making it live up to its name! I very much doubt that the river could be made navigable, it's more of a stream most of the time when not in flood.

Would local residents always be against a marina development? In some locations I suppose it might be quite acceptable, from the point of view of the extra people providing trade and/or keeping the facilities of a village open, e.g. a school or pub.

11 minutes ago, Peter X said:

Billing Aquadrome on the Nene springs to mind, I wouldn't be surprised if there were a number of others, perhaps mostly on rivers.

b.

I think Springwood haven, where we used to moor, used to be one.

53 minutes ago, Athy said:

I think Springwood haven, where we used to moor, used to be one.

I don’t think so. Kay was chatting to me about how much work it was to dig it out. There again, she could have been referring to ‘adjusting’ the hole for marina use. I know it’s only about 7ft deep at the pontoons though. 

17 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I don’t think so. Kay was chatting to me about how much work it was to dig it out. There again, she could have been referring to ‘adjusting’ the hole for marina use. I know it’s only about 7ft deep at the pontoons though. 

Perhaps I was misinformed.

I shan't ask how you know that it's seven feet deep.

What was Braunston Marina before it became a marina?

Edited by Athy

16 minutes ago, Athy said:

I’ll tell you anyway :P

I dropped my keys and rescued them, along with a shoe, many mussels, and gallons of sludge, with a keep net. Surprisingly the remote unlock still worked for my car. 

1 hour ago, WotEver said:

I’ll tell you anyway :P

I dropped my keys and rescued them, along with a shoe, many mussels, and gallons of sludge, with a keep net. Surprisingly the remote unlock still worked for my car. 

:clapping:

So the car was under water too?

9 hours ago, Tanglewood said:

I agree, this would not be for individuals.  Probably not developers per se... its probably more similar the 'community right to bid', in other words where neighbourhoods wish to influence development they could identify and allocate land next to a canal and determine  it is used for residential moorings.  I doubt that many neighbourhoods would choose to have such a development, any more than they welcome new Traveller and Gypsy site.  In addition Local Plans devised by Local Authorities take years to be 'made' and often last for at least 10 years.  As all development must be in accord with a Local Plan (including neighbourhood plans) or the National Policy Planning Framework there are not likely to be many authorities that could respond quickly to this.  

There is probably enough capacity, within the system as a whole,  to offer residential moorings within existing marinas, if the owners were so inclined.  But not everyone wants to live in a regularised setting.

A proposal for a new marina near Lincoln was withdrawn not so long ago  due to local community objections. The main objections were on the grounds of  extra road  traffic . The idea of a marina was not the enhancement that the developer had in his mind.

11 hours ago, Peter X said:

As gravel pits are deep, I think if I were moored on one I'd keep a suitable ladder available for climbing out if someone fell in.

In my limited experience of getting my feet stuck in the mud with my head underwater after a vertical descent into Bancroft Basin, I view deep water as safe!

• Horror 2

Stockton Top Marina used on be a pit left over from digging up blue liase. 

22 hours ago, Athy said:

Perhaps I was misinformed.

What was Braunston Marina before it became a marina?

IIRC Braunston on Marina is a development of the reservoirs there.

13 hours ago, Onewheeler said:

In my limited experience of getting my feet stuck in the mud with my head underwater after a vertical descent into Bancroft Basin, I view deep water as safe!

Blimey that must have been scary. Did you get out alive?!

• Haha 1