Unable to access site from P.C.

Iain_S

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm getting none of these problems. Access to CWF is smooth as silk.

Can anyone guess why?

Teacher's pet - given privileged access?.....

Seriously though it was inaccessible for me last night (Windows 10 & Firefox).  I've not used it a lot today, but noticed no problems.

2 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Teacher's pet - given privileged access?.....

Seriously though it was inaccessible for me last night (Windows 10 & Firefox).  I've not used it a lot today, but noticed no problems.

Rusty's got it right. 

I switched last year to using only products that actually work!

Running an SSL checked against the site shows that Chrome 69 fails but Chrome 70 works so that would explain why upgrading the version of Chrome made a difference. Chrome 70 introduced different secure protocols.

The other thing required is SNI support which is not provided by XP.

The latest certificate was installed on Sunday by the looks of it so that might be when things stopped working for XP and some browser versions.

This old machine on Vista, Firefox and Chrome is all entirely out of date, but the intermittant trouble occurs exactly the same on it, at exactly the same times as on my other Windows 10 fully up to date machine on up to date Firefox, IE, Edge,

5 hours ago, RichM said:

If this happens again, can you open up command prompt and type: (in order)

Windows: 

nslookup canalworld.net
ipconfig /flushdns

nslookup canalworld.net

Linux (Debian based)

dig a canalworld.net
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

dig a canalworld.net

And copy/paste the results.

I must stress however that this is separate to the issue reported by the OP. We're using CloudFlare DNS to prevent a re-occurrence of the recent spam attacks which is likely attributed to the intermittent issue reported by some users. 

My iPhone sometimes has the issue,  on Three.  Here’s the DNS lookup when having the issue

F850BD1A-8BD8-4B5A-9360-EA6CC5BFA477.png

I have been unable to get connected all of today using W10 and Chrome.

Just started to work again a few minutes ago.

I have done no jiggery-pokery with any settings etc.

So whatever it was, it don't have anything to do with me, guv.

18 minutes ago, Rebotco said:

I have been unable to get connected all of today using W10 and Chrome.

Just started to work again a few minutes ago.

I have done no jiggery-pokery with any settings etc.

So whatever it was, it don't have anything to do with me, guv.

Tis probably caused by mischievous gremlins on this R̶e̶b̶o̶t̶c̶o̶ October All hallows eve eve. Trick or treating and jiggery pokery in abundance.

I have my Ferrero Rocher wrapper covered chocolate dipped sprouts ready for tomorrow, thanks to another forum member.

Edited by rusty69

Looks like I'll have to think seriously about upgrading my computer!

Chrome still giving the same as original post, but Fiefox is working (for now ?? )

Edited by Iain_S

Something I have noticed this last few days which may or may not be related, CWF despite working on my Macs is actually responding a LOT slower than it used to. I regularly have to wait five seconds or so for pages to load after clicking on the link to one, in VNC. 

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Something I have noticed this last few days which may or may not be related, CWF despite working on my Macs is actually responding a LOT slower than it used to. I regularly have to wait five seconds or so for pages to load after clicking on the link to one, in VNC. 

Not seeing anything like that on my PC.

Its as quick as ever.

Well despite the "nslookup canalworld.net" "Ipconfig/flushdns" etc etc its still happening

Probably about 10 times so far today

Hmmm... cannot reach this page

Try this

It took too long to connect to this website.

Error Code: INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well despite the "nslookup canalworld.net" "Ipconfig/flushdns" etc etc its still happening

Probably about 10 times so far today

Hmmm... cannot reach this page

Try this

It took too long to connect to this website.

Error Code: INET_E_CONNECTION_TIMEOUT

Same again at 17:50 hours

In light of recent spam attacks, all inbound web traffic is filtered via CloudFlare. While it has many benefits (some not really necessary for us) we use it for the purpose of blocking malicious traffic at network level before even reaching our server. It is possible it is being overzealous. I have made adjustments to the filtering to help improve this.

Worst case is we ditch Cloudflare but it's equally important to put in extra measures to help prevent spam attacks.but ideally without unwanted side effects...

For the techies: This doesn't trigger our monitoring alerts which suggests it does not happen to all users at the same time. From that, I guess the fact that this happens to some but not all users suggests to me that there may be something unique about the subset of users affected. If affected and purely to help me troubleshoot, is it possible to switch to a different network or change your public facing IP address (if dynamic) and let me know if this works-around the problem? If so, we can then tell whether or not the source IP has any bearing on the issue.

Cheers

RichM

On 30/10/2018 at 18:22, Robbo said:

A few train stops later and it will be back working.  This is the lookup the two below, it changes between the two when doing multiple kookips

Thanks. - Did the hostname resolve to an IP address when you were unable to access the site?

59 minutes ago, RichM said:

If affected and purely to help me troubleshoot, is it possible to switch to a different network or change your public facing IP address (if dynamic) and let me know if this works-around the problem? If so, we can then tell whether or not the source IP has any bearing on the issue.

If I knew what you meant, I would try it.

Happened again at 18:30

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If I knew what you meant, I would try it.

Happened again at 18:30

What it generally means is to disconnect your personal bit from the wide world. In the case of a mobile connection, disconnect (ie reboot phone or go to airplane mode for 30 secs or so), then reconnect. If at home, reboot your router. However if you are on cable (as opposed to phone or fibre based home broadband), you may have a fixed IP address in which case the above won’t achieve anything.

Edited by nicknorman

51 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

What it generally means is to disconnect your personal bit from the wide world. In the case of a mobile connection, disconnect (ie reboot phone or go to airplane mode for 30 secs or so), then reconnect. If at home, reboot your router. However if you are on cable (as opposed to phone or fibre based home broadband), you may have a fixed IP address in which case the above won’t achieve anything.

Another way if at home is to compare the landline broadband behaviour to the mobile 4g connection behaviour on one's smartphone.

Unless one is mrsmelly or that nice Mr Athy, obvs....