Unable to access site from P.C.

Iain_S

Featured Posts

Since this morning, I cannot access the site from my PC. (Typing this on the iPad)

Error I get is :

This site can't provide a secure connection 

www.canalworld.net uses an unsupported protocol.

ERR_SSL_VERSION_OR_CIPHER_MISMATCH

On clicking the details tab, I get:

The client and server don't support a common SSL protocol version or cipher suite. This is likely to be caused when the server needs RC4, which is no longer considered secure.

It all worked OK on Sunday, so something has changed since then. Same results on IE, Chrome and Avast Secure. Haven't tried Firefox, as I don't have it. O.S is a bit old, Windows XP. I get the same on a few other sites, but this one was OK, but now isn't!

This may happen if using an obsolete browser with limited support for SSL. I recommend updating your browser to something more recent if possible.

Without meaning to sound rude and as an aside Windows XP has far surpassed its shelf life. (Unfortunately) A large number of developers no longer maintain compatibility for it including the developers behind the forum software we use. Same story with the server technology we use.

46 minutes ago, Wiltshire Moonraker said:

I am getting an error message too "This site can’t be reached www.canalworld.net’s server IP address could not be found." 

I had that one a few days / weeks ago but it seems to have 'cleared up' more recently

(Win 10 with Microsoft edge)

Couldn't get on the site this morning, just couldn't find it / connect.

12 hours ago, RichM said:

This may happen if using an obsolete browser with limited support for SSL. I recommend updating your browser to something more recent if possible.

Without meaning to sound rude and as an aside Windows XP has far surpassed its shelf life. (Unfortunately) A large number of developers no longer maintain compatibility for it including the developers behind the forum software we use. Same story with the server technology we use.

I could not access the site from late afternoon yesterday until this morning. Everywhere else was ok. Using Safari browser 11.1.2, apparently last updated in July. I am more of the opinion that it was a CWF server problem , which looks to be fixed now rather  than any problem with folks' browsers, obsolete or not. I haven't changed anything here and now it is working fine.

1 hour ago, koukouvagia said:

I had this fault intermittently.  Updating Chrome to Version 70.0.3538.77 seems to have done the trick.  Maybe a coincidence, you never can tell :)

Red herring.  I'm still getting intermittent faults on tablet, PC and phone.

Every other site is OK.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

image.png.9f962be1c25d2325db9f918f664c066f.png

If this happens again, can you open up command prompt and type: (in order)

Windows: 

nslookup canalworld.net
ipconfig /flushdns

nslookup canalworld.net

Linux (Debian based)

dig a canalworld.net
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

dig a canalworld.net

And copy/paste the results.

I must stress however that this is separate to the issue reported by the OP. We're using CloudFlare DNS to prevent a re-occurrence of the recent spam attacks which is likely attributed to the intermittent issue reported by some users. 

28 minutes ago, RichM said:

If this happens again, can you open up command prompt and type: (in order)

Windows: 

nslookup canalworld.net
ipconfig /flushdns

nslookup canalworld.net

Linux (Debian based)

dig a canalworld.net
sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

dig a canalworld.net

And copy/paste the results.

I must stress however that this is separate to the issue reported by the OP. We're using CloudFlare DNS to prevent a re-occurrence of the recent spam attacks which is likely attributed to the intermittent issue reported by some users. 

Well its happened again (13:30 hours)

Did what you suggested (windows) and it took me to this thread :

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/55101-anyone-know-about-computers/&page=2

Presumably that's not what you wanted ?
I did something wrong ?

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Try again :

image.png.1d7ead7b9b482980037e9d543ce3a8a6.png

Next time it happens, try right click on it and then click ''Save image as'' and it should go into your downloads or documents. From there you can upload them onto here in the usual way.

My son recieved an email from me yesterday evening that I hadn't sent. It didn't make any sense. He thought it might be a spam attack or something. As far as I know, no one elsegot one from me. Could this be as a result of the issues on this site? The email he recieved was not dis -similar to the one posted above.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

My son recieved an email from me yesterday evening that I hadn't sent. It didn't make any sense. He thought it might be a spam attack or something. As far as I know, no one elsegot one from me. Could this be as a result of the issues on this site? The email he recieved was not dis -similar to the one posted above.

I get those sometimes, from a relation, but its not, I don't even open them.  Usually someone with a Yahoo email account.  Yahoo's are corrupt and vile, read Swifts Gullivers travels, ''A voyage to the country of the Houyhnhnms.

17 hours ago, Iain_S said:

I kind of agree with the above comments :) ,but what changed since yesterday? Was there some sort of forum upgrade?

The certificate was updated on the 28th so yes it changed.    As your using an old browser you will find many sites have the same message.   Basically the sites now don't support the encryption methods your browser does as they are now classed as insecure so no longer support by the web server.