emails have stopped

Dr Bob

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, oldgregg said:

I messaged admin a while ago telling them I run a similar forum and can help them with problems like this but haven't had a reply?

Anyway, this particular issue can be fixed by them signing up for a (free) account with Sparkpost and routing outgoing emails through it as that's a service most email providers trust and thus notifications don't get flagged as spam.

But what do I know.

Maybe its in their spam box. 

Edited by rusty69
  • Greenie 1

20 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Oh dear its now working again now I have calibrated google to accpet the CWDF emails. The first notification - yet another post to the brexit thread.

Panic over. You can all go back to what you were doing.

Was it easier to calibrate than a Smart Gauge? ?

• 4 months later...

Can anyone advise on this?

I think when this thread started last October I reported that the email notifications to watched threads had stopped, they were no more.

Until yesterday, when I got several from new posts about "horse boating" but no others.Was it  Rob-m ,as an expert on these things, said it was something that my ISP was doing to block CWF emails? I haven't changed anything here so how come  emails on  only one topic are getting through and why suddenly after all this time?

"Notify me of replies" is flagged by default for topics I have posted to.

Bill

6 minutes ago, oldgregg said:

I don't know what to suggest really. I contacted admin to tell them how to fix it and offered to help....

It may be because as you have only done two posts in nearly half a year the admin dont think you are interested enough in the forum? or are just a spam merchant? Send a message to forum owner and see if that works.

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

It may be because as you have only done two posts in nearly half a year the admin dont think you are interested enough in the forum? or are just a spam merchant? Send a message to forum owner and see if that works.

I sent a message to Daniel on September 12th, and no response.

I'm hardly going to chase people to do free consultancy for them...

• 2 months later...
On 29/10/2018 at 20:31, RichM said:

I have made a change to try and prevent them going into spam. Please let me know if it continues to be an issue for anyone going forward.

@RichM, It's happened again. 2 days of no notifications till I found this thread again (Yes @Tumshie you were right!!!!).

Please ignore the other thread I started on this.

• Greenie 1

8 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Well not quite!

I found a number of notification emails (but not all) in the spam folder and set them to 'no spam' but now I am not seeing any email notifications at all! @RichM can you help?

If I do this do you get an email? ?

How about if I do this... @Dr Bob ? ?

• Greenie 1

38 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

If I do this do you get an email? ?

How about if I do this... @Dr Bob ? ?

Nope. Nowt. Nil points.

Both should have resulted in an email to me. Not in the inbox or the spam folder? Maybe it needs to be reset from the CWDF end. I know last time I did it by resetting something. Maybe @RichM sorted it.

Thanks for trying to ping the emails.

On 29/10/2018 at 23:19, oldgregg said:

I messaged admin a while ago telling them I run a similar forum and can help them with problems like this but haven't had a reply?

Anyway, this particular issue can be fixed by them signing up for a (free) account with Sparkpost and routing outgoing emails through it as that's a service most email providers trust and thus notifications don't get flagged as spam.

But what do I know.

I don't see any messages from you, I imagine you contacted another admin?

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. We are actually looking into third party/trusted SMTP relay services. Having reviewed SparkPost EU, it appears that they only allow 500 emails per month for free. We would hit this limit in less than a few days, if that. 

Of course free is good but for a community of our size, any free plans I have found are not likely to suit are needs. Any other recommendations much appreciated though we do have a limitation whereby we can only pay via PayPal.

RichM

2 hours ago, RichM said:

Anyway, thanks for your suggestion. We are actually looking into third party/trusted SMTP relay services. Having reviewed SparkPost EU, it appears that they only allow 500 emails per month for free. We would hit this limit in less than a few days, if that. 

Of course free is good but for a community of our size, any free plans I have found are not likely to suit are needs. Any other recommendations much appreciated though we do have a limitation whereby we can only pay via PayPal.

RichM

Rich, are you able to help? I am not getting any notifications now .....not even to my spam folder. I will try and reset it by stopping all notifications by email then re-enabling it.

3 hours ago, Dr Bob said:

Rich, are you able to help? I am not getting any notifications now .....not even to my spam folder. I will try and reset it by stopping all notifications by email then re-enabling it.

I have found/corrected a DNS issue. Is it possible to let me know if there's any improvement?

Cheers

Rich

6 hours ago, RichM said:

RichM

Okay... I contacted Daniel, who as per my previous post was listed as Admin and members told me was the person to contact at the time. 

Sparkpost have indeed now changed their pricing for new customers, though it was available at the time of writing. Our community would also have a problem with 500 emails a month as we're a similar size to this one, so I'm familiar with the scale.

I don't know what your stack is, but there are steps you can take to improve your community's trust level with major mail providers - However it could end up being more costly and complex to implement than integrating a third-party service for email, depending on what your platform is.

52 minutes ago, RichM said:

I have found/corrected a DNS issue. Is it possible to let me know if there's any improvement?

Cheers

Rich

There have been no notification emails since your post and hour ago but there should have been at least 10 posts that triggered it....either to my inbox or my spam folder.

Two notifications have however appeared in my spam folder, one from yesterday and one from 8am this morning. These have appeared in the last hour so what you did must have triggered them.

I am signed up to get notifications from the Brexit thread so there should be a live email most hours.

6 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Ooh am I going to do something at 22:54 - what'ma gonna do? ?

Actually I'll probbly be in bed by 22:54.....

well spotted, its early to bed for me, but even this is too early!

23 hours ago, RichM said:

Cheers

Rich

Rich, as of 6pm this evening, the email notifications are again working.

Well done and thanks!

Tumshie, you should be able to ping me ok now!

• Happy 1

57 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

Rich, as of 6pm this evening, the email notifications are again working.

Well done and thanks!

Tumshie, you should be able to ping me ok now!

Yey! @Dr Bob That's brilliant :hug:

Now you have mastered the return of the emails the return of the Duck should be a waddle down the tow path, probably as far as the nearest pub should do it. :D

• Love 1