Windows for steel under cloth conversion

starman

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, IanR said:

Nice looking boat! Have you lengthened it, or is one of those internal pics part way through hull clean up and paint?

Ian.

No it's not stretched, just got a bit of temporary flooring in. 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a mix of Velux windows (work well, but are not invisible under the cloths) and Channelglaze windows (as pictured above - these definitely have less of a profile) on Clypeus, which has a wooden cabin under the cloths. I am now curious about whether I could fix up some system for opening the cloths from inside as IanR described, because clambering onto wooden gunnels to roll and unroll them is a pain. With the double-glazed windows I find the cabin heats up a lot in summer, and I need the cloths down most of the time to stop the boat turning into a greenhouse, even with the windows cracked open, so not sure I would choose double glazing if I were fitting it out myself. 

1 hour ago, pipistrelle said:

I have a mix of Velux windows (work well, but are not invisible under the cloths) and Channelglaze windows (as pictured above - these definitely have less of a profile) on Clypeus, which has a wooden cabin under the cloths. I am now curious about whether I could fix up some system for opening the cloths from inside as IanR described, because clambering onto wooden gunnels to roll and unroll them is a pain. With the double-glazed windows I find the cabin heats up a lot in summer, and I need the cloths down most of the time to stop the boat turning into a greenhouse, even with the windows cracked open, so not sure I would choose double glazing if I were fitting it out myself. 

Yes the opening from the inside notion is a good one but despite repeatedly re-reading IanR's post I'm still not entirely sure how it works.

I'll get some detailed pics when I get chance to reinstall the blind gubbins after doing the lining out! Trouble is I have been trying to get my house reasonably heatable for winter and the boaty bits have had to take a back seat for a while.

Pipistrelle, I'm pleased you still have Clypeus!

Ian.

4 minutes ago, IanR said:

I'll get some detailed pics when I get chance to reinstall the blind gubbins after doing the lining out! Trouble is I have been trying to get my house reasonably heatable for winter and the boaty bits have had to take a back seat for a while.

Pipistrelle, I'm pleased you still have Clypeus!

Ian.

Ah a man of multiple projects! I know the feeling. I've got tools on the boat, tools in the house - but usually the wrong ones in the wrong place.