Has it gone out?

rusty69

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

I'm interested Mr Rusty, what do you intend to do if:

1.  The fire is out?

2.  The fire is not out?

Surely if it's out, you'll have to get up to re-light it.

If it's not out, you'll have to get up to make sure it doesn't go out.

Now that is more like it. 28 posts before we get to the real question. Now let's define what 'Out' means?

I don't know. The OP has done a runner. If you scroll to the bottom of the page, you can see who is currently (or recently) looking at this thread. There are currently 10 members which is pretty damn high...but OP not there! All our ideas or requests for further information are falling on deaf ears.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

1.Get up much later when it has warmed up outside.

2.Stay in bed as it's already going.

Recap.....stay in bed!

If you intend to stay in bed either way, then it does not matter whether it's gone out.  I suggest going out for a walk/cycle/run/boat trip.  It's a lovely day.

Just now, doratheexplorer said:

If you intend to stay in bed either way, then it does not matter whether it's gone out.  I suggest going out for a walk/cycle/run/boat trip.  It's a lovely day.

I've just been out.Its FFFFffreeeeeeezing.

2 minutes ago, Dr Bob said:

The OP has done a runner

I have just been out to check there is smoke coming out of the chimney!

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Just to recap, these are:

• Laser thermometer with mirrors
  • Look at Ecofan
  • Baby monitor
  • Move the stove
  • Send Mrs Rusty to sort it
  • Have I got a cold head or ears?
  • Get a dog
  • Bluetooth thermometer
  • External mirror
  • Ecofan heat distribution effect
  • Calibrated dog
  • Get a duck
  • Drink a load of beer
  • Fit a catflap and shave my cat
  • Go for a walk/run/cycle whilst still in bed

All good and viable solutions in my view.

9 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. Just to recap, these are:

• Laser thermometer with mirrors
  • Look at Ecofan
  • Baby monitor
  • Move the stove
  • Send Mrs Rusty to sort it
  • Have I got a cold head or ears?
  • Get a dog
  • Bluetooth thermometer
  • External mirror
  • Ecofan heat distribution effect
  • Calibrated dog
  • Get a duck
  • Drink a load of beer
  • Fit a catflap and shave my cat
  • Go for a walk/run/cycle whilst still in bed

All good and viable solutions in my view.

Smoke and mirrors, Rusty, it's all just smoke and mirrors.

• Haha 1

While I was still learning to steer, my boat regularly crashed in to bits of fixed canal infrastructure. If I had forgotten to take the ecofan off the stove before setting off this would result in the fan hitting the hearth resulting in bent fan blades. Ecofan blade balancers have to complete a grueling five year apprenticeship to learn how to finish fan blades so they can withstand the enormous forces that are applied to them by the torque from the motor, the speed at which they turn and the immense volume and mass of air that they shift. My efforts were sadly not up to theirs and ever after the fan would make a rattling noise, the frequency of which was directly correlated with the speed of the fan and hence with the state of the fire. After an extensive series of trials the pitch at which one would have to get up from under the covers and go see to the stove was determined.

Eventually the motor died and the replacement motor came with a new set of unbent and near silent blades, so I am keen to see what other suggestions people have for solving this important problem.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

While I was still learning to steer, my boat regularly crashed in to bits of fixed canal infrastructure. If I had forgotten to take the ecofan off the stove this would result in the fan hitting the hearth resulting in bent fan blades.

Are you saying it kept crashing as a result of the eco fan?

4 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Are you saying it kept crashing as a result of the eco fan?

The direction and force of the air blast from the fan makes boat control much harder as any Ecofan owner will tell you, but my crashes were more a result of my lack of skill.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Another until Bizzard gets up.  Position wind turbine opposite ecofan, connect output directly to electric blanket.  When bed cools from inside, as well as outside, fire is out.

• Haha 1

I have just sourced some new state of the art fluorescent fuel and a powerful fan (not of the eco variety). The fan has been installed outside at the front of the boat, pointing aft towards where we sleep.

The fluorescent smoke now blows past our window, and will be easy not to see in the dark should it stop.

29 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

While I was still learning to steer, my boat regularly crashed in to bits of fixed canal infrastructure. If I had forgotten to take the ecofan off the stove before setting off this would result in the fan hitting the hearth resulting in bent fan blades. Ecofan blade balancers have to complete a grueling five year apprenticeship to learn how to finish fan blades so they can withstand the enormous forces that are applied to them by the torque from the motor, the speed at which they turn and the immense volume and mass of air that they shift. My efforts were sadly not up to theirs and ever after the fan would make a rattling noise, the frequency of which was directly correlated with the speed of the fan and hence with the state of the fire. After an extensive series of trials the pitch at which one would have to get up from under the covers and go see to the stove was determined.

Eventually the motor died and the replacement motor came with a new set of unbent and near silent blades, so I am keen to see what other suggestions people have for solving this important problem.

Jen

Similar to my fan. If it goes clickclickclickclick all is fine. If it is click............click............click.............click time to put on more coal if it is ....................... too late fire is out

26 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

That's how ours died, we kept forgetting to remove ours too. 

So far our 'new' fan has remained in place by attaching it to a magnet. Contrary to popular belief, the heat hasn't (yet) removed the 'stickness' of the magnet.

flue.jpg.41d3583b1a2a22fa299dbc8be62fe2fc.jpg

• Greenie 1

In all seriousness (sorry) you could buy a little bluetooth or wifi connected webcam which you point at your stove.  Then you sync it to your phone so you can see your stove from your phone.  It won't tell you if the stove is still warm but you should be able to see if the coals are glowing.

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

That's how ours died, we kept forgetting to remove ours too. 

So far our 'new' fan has remained in place by attaching it to a magnet. Contrary to popular belief, the heat hasn't (yet) removed the 'stickness' of the magnet.

flue.jpg.41d3583b1a2a22fa299dbc8be62fe2fc.jpg

Has the force of wind from the fan impaired your ability to hold the camera steady?

And have you named your eco fan 'Yoda', because it can harness The Force?

Edited by doratheexplorer
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

.....Ah, now were getting somewhere. A serious suggestion. If I can't see it, its gone out, or are they IR capable?

We have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Available/dp/B07439PDMD/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1540808923&sr=8-7&keywords=yi+camera

which is really good for monitoring things. It can certainly monitor the speed of the fan which is a measure of how 'in' the fire is. The camera and app works a treat so is great if we are off the boat, and then it tells you if the power has tripped as you cant connect.

...eta..  there are cheaper versions but this is great

Edited by Dr Bob

1 minute ago, Dr Bob said:

We have one of these

https://www.amazon.co.uk/YI-Wireless-Security-Surveillance-Available/dp/B07439PDMD/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1540808923&sr=8-7&keywords=yi+camera

which is really good for monitoring things. It can certainly monitor the speed of the fan which is a measure of how 'in' the fire is. The camera and app works a treat so is great if we are off the boat, and then it tells you if the power has tripped as you cant connect.

That would be brilliant, now if only there's an eco fan that would generate electricity, and delivering the power through a usb, the camera could then be economically ecological.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, Jennifer McM said:

That would be brilliant, now if only there's an eco fan that would generate electricity, and delivering the power through a usb, the camera could then be economically ecological.

You wouldn't need the camera, as when the fan stops,you wouldn't be able to connect to it anyway.:)

2 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

We only run ours when we are away from the boat when it is on shore power so I have never measured how many amps it is drawing when on the inverter.