Rule shower waste box

Rory_d

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

Hi anybody use these and are they any good? I am about to buy one As I’m refitting the boat and just want to make sure I get the best I can buy for sensible money

Dont do it they are crap. It WILL gunge up. Get a whale gulper or similar and gravity drain such as the sink.

• Greenie 1

Another vote for getting a Whale Gulper instead of the tray. Saves cleaning out the filter every few weeks or not realising it's blocked and filling up yer bilge. I got a bit overly annoyed with my float switch and it stopped working altogether, which sped up the Gulper buying process.

10 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

They are a bilge pump and level float switch with a crappy plastic filter in a poor plastic box. Over priced under engineered.

You will spend loads of time cleaning it out or it will flood your boat bilge. They are the spawn of the Devil.

Probably both

Sometime called a strum box I believe?   We had one when we got the boat. I took it out and a boaty friend sold it for me at the Beaulieu boat jumble. Got a few quid for it. I must assume lumpy water sailors are quite happy with a bilge full of dirty shower water.

...............Dave

7 minutes ago, dmr said:

Sometime called a strum box I believe?   We had one when we got the boat. I took it out and a boaty friend sold it for me at the Beaulieu boat jumble. Got a few quid for it. I must assume lumpy water sailors are quite happy with a bilge full of dirty shower water.

...............Dave

Maybe they don’t waste precious drinking water when out sailing.

Gulpers are best. Wouldn't touch another of the box/float switch type; ours flooded the bilges a few times. Gulper has been faultless.  If there is concern about it being left powered up, it is easy to fit a timer switch, though we never bothered.

Everyone is in agreement. Spawn of the devil. We had two on the boat one on bath one on the kitchen sink. On buying the boat my first job before even having a bath was to fit a gulper. They are not sealed block easily and fail. If they fail the water goes to the lowest point in the boat.

the kitchen box was harder as the boat had low hullsides and deep draft. Until i did the kitchen one we had to supervise the damn thing , and fit a manual on off rather than the bloody float switch .

44 minutes ago, Boater Sam said:

Strum block is a pickup at the suction end of a bilge pump, like a comb, helps to get the level lower than just a pump inlet.

So the shower waste box is a "sump" below the shower were the bilge (shower) pump sucks water from....so I can see why some people call them a strum box.

..............Dave

Looks like I will be getting a whale gulper then!

the only reason I thought about the rule shower box was that it is automatic and the fact we will have kids onboard seemed sensible so we didn’t have a flooded bathroom every time they had a shower

1 hour ago, Rory_d said:

Looks like I will be getting a whale gulper then!

the only reason I thought about the rule shower box was that it is automatic and the fact we will have kids onboard seemed sensible so we didn’t have a flooded bathroom every time they had a shower

You could consider a whale gulper with “IC” shower drain fitting - the latter contains a sensor and control system to operate the pump automatically. Although I’ve not personally tried it.

https://www.whalepumps.com/Marine/product.aspx?Category_ID=10020&Product_ID=10039&FriendlyID=Gulley-IC

Regardless of its reliability, an advantage is that it will be immediately obvious if the pump isn’t working, whereas with the sump box it isn’t obvious at all.

Edited by nicknorman
  • Greenie 2

Whilst agreeing with the above views, you might like to consider what I have;-

I made a fibreglass box which is the hight of the gap below the shower plus the depth of the tray. This sits along side the tray in an adjacent cupboard. It has a float switch (An industrial one) that runs a whale gulper.

Features; -

It runs automatically but unlike the above.

It's solid and isn't going to leak.

It has no filter to clog up.

If the float switch fails, ( happened twice in 24 years) it's obvious because of the water in the shower tray, but no water goes into bilges.

I have never seen anything like this for sale however.

HTH

John

4 minutes ago, Rory_d said:

That sounds good do you have any pics?

Afraid not. And since it worked so well I have fitted shelves in the cupboard that make it tricky to get to! However it is just an open top box of the right height. I will look to see if I can find the float switch I used. But it was 24 years ago.☺