Average costs

Tony Bergman

Featured Posts

On 28/10/2018 at 17:36, Onionman said:

In "The Narrowboat Guide" by Tony Jones (a very readable guide), in 2016, he wrote that a survey of 13 respondents with different profiles came out at an average of £6,826.

I like that book too; another one that I like is 'Narrowboat Life' by Jim Batty.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Did you spot the photo of moi in it? 

Found Ya :D Single-handing. 

I also spotted a young woman with beautiful pink hair who owns a 30 footer called SPRINGY, could this also be a forum member?

7 minutes ago, Tumshie said:

Found Ya :D Single-handing. 

I also spotted a young woman with beautiful pink hair who owns a 30 footer called SPRINGY, could this also be a forum member?

Oh is Coasty in the book too? I never realised! 

Tony Jones posts on here occasionally as “TonyReptiles”. He knows everything about reptiles yersee.  

On 29/10/2018 at 15:41, Naughty Cal said:

I must say that I am surprised at some of the figures some people are suggesting. We thought our boat was quite high maintenance but seemingly not when compared with some of these figures!

If employing people to do work such as supply parts and carry out engine service the costs can add up considerably above diy costs.

I would imagine a narrowboat engine no more difficult to service than a volvo penta kad32 , although access could be tricky on a narrowboat.

Lift out cost for  a narrowboat may well be quite high , especially when compared to a 25ft sports cruiser (23ft when paying for lift out) .

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

If employing people to do work such as supply parts and carry out engine service the costs can add up considerably above diy costs.

I would imagine a narrowboat engine no more difficult to service than a volvo penta kad32 , although access could be tricky on a narrowboat.

Lift out cost for  a narrowboat may well be quite high , especially when compared to a 25ft sports cruiser (23ft when paying for lift out) 

Maintaining the transport capability of the boat is roughly the equivalent of keeping a car going. Like a car, the odd mishap can break things and be expensive. But the simple modern marinised industrial diesel fitted to most narrowboats are surprisingly economical to fuel and maintain.

The steel hull though needs regular recoating to inhibit corrosion and maintain appearance and therefore value.

As narrowboats have a large painted surface area this is a big job.

There are some other boaty bits to maintain or replace such as fenders, lines and mooring tackle.

The other maintenance,  equipment replacement, and refurbishment, is the standard household maintenance but with the substantial premium for the adaptations and additional equipment required for the required independence from the reticulated services provided to houses. 

Edited by DandV